Electric Cattle Guards

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
Has any one run over an electric cattle guard? I did and it shocked the blank out of me. I guess I was just zoned out and didn't know what it was. Two strips of rubber with a metal strip in between. I tried to come up with a representative photo but came up empty on Google Images.
Anyway, after I shook my head and got my heart started I looked back and noticed the sign half fallen over and covered with weeds. "Warning: Electrified Cattle Guard. Pedestrians and bikers use gate". This was up in Northern Utah. Down south we still use metal ones. Or at least the fake ones with painted lines. They must have more stressed out cows up there that want to escape.

Has any one run over an electric cattle guard? I did and it shocked the blank out of me. I guess I was just zoned out and didn't know what it was. Two strips of rubber with a metal strip in between. I tried to come up with a representative photo but came up empty on Google Images.
Anyway, after I shook my head and got my heart started I looked back and noticed the sign half fallen over and covered with weeds. "Warning: Electrified Cattle Guard. Pedestrians and bikers use gate". This was up in Northern Utah. Down south we still use metal ones. Or at least the fake ones with painted lines. They must have more stressed out cows up there that want to escape.
Im trying to imagine how you must have jumped:Do_O

Reactions: NickW
Ok that was impressive, I am sure I would of died hitting one of those or at least my slight frame would of been sent into convulsions for the rest of ....zzzt..... run .....zzzt..... home....!

Reactions: Robin and NickW
Oh man!! That sounds intense! It just reminded me of a horse drawn sleigh ride I went on and a dog joined us.....at one point we passed the underground fence and they forgot to take off its collar.......he took off running in circles around the sleigh....poor pooch.
Of course I bet your shock was a touch more powerful.....now you are going to have to run barefoot for months until you get completely grounded.....Lee should have a hay day with this one!! :p

Well, all is ok. My hair seems to be a little more spiked than normal. I have never been bitten by a snake, but I imagine it is similar. Yes, I really jumped. The combination of the cattle guard and the traffic really made me say a lot of foul words that run. I wish I would have had a camera.

ChasingShadows - yes, we really have fake cattle guards and they work. Here is a Google image.
220px-Lone_Pine,_CA_Virtual_Cattle_Guard.jpg

Gives a little bit of meaning to the phrase "you are what you eat".

Is this the country cure for erectile dysfunction? How far up did the current travel? Was it 220? I got shocked a few times while dealing with wiring in my house in Mozambique, and man, that 220 current got as far as my shoulder. Scary. Funny how we're full of electricity.
Sorry Zetti, couldn't think of any earthing quips, but yours did the job quite nicely. Time for my second espresso I guess.

Reactions: Robin and Zetti
So that's what it was! the burning flesh I have being smelling lately? ooops!
Glad you're ok-I think.

Reactions: Zetti
I know there's some veggies who argue against eating meat because of the animals' intelligence - I'd kind of like to find a group & bring them over, just to witness their confusion!
As I always say, at least with flesh you know if the animal is dead or not. With veggies, you never know--they start to root if you leave 'em too long. Kind of barbaric. Seeds and fruits are even worse--you're not even giving them a chance at starting life.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
I was standing in a trout stream and peed on anelectric fence once. I don't recommend it!

I'm sort of guessing that Rick didn't stop to check what kind of current it was. He was still levitating 20 yards down the road.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
got shocked a few times as a kid trying to climb/jump those with my cousin in rural michigan. not sure how high the current is typically, but i remember the feelign of something awful going through me.

Electric Cattle Guard is totally going on my potential punk rock band name list. I have hereby claimed it!

OK, it's yours, but if you form the band, I get dibs on playing the Xylophone.

My band name is going to be "Microwaveable Jello Mold"

Reactions: Lomad and Bare Lee
Is this the country cure for erectile dysfunction? How far up did the current travel? Was it 220? I got shocked a few times while dealing with wiring in my house in Mozambique, and man, that 220 current got as far as my shoulder. Scary. Funny how we're full of electricity.
Sorry Zetti, couldn't think of any earthing quips, but yours did the job quite nicely. Time for my second espresso I guess.
I was thinking the opposite Lee. I didn't bother my wife for the rest of the weekend.;)
I'm not sure about the current level. I have been bitten by 110 before and it was definitely higher than that. On vacation in Germany we would touch the electric fences on a dare (teenage sons) and they were pretty mild.
We better shut this thread down before the shod press gets a hold of it. "Another hazard of barefoot running - Electric Cattle Guards".