Earth Day Challenge Half Marathon

KIMG5705_PostRace.jpg

Earth Day Challenge Half Marathon
17 April 2016 (Ohio)
By Yvonne

This was my fourth consecutive time running this race. It is one of my favorites - a scenic course through Kenyon College campus and hilly rural roads of Gambier and smooth flat asphalt bike path (Kokosing Gap Trail) along the river. I also like the theme of the event.

After checking in on race morning and claiming my bib number, I did my warm-up routine inside the athletic center where the Earth Day Festival vendors were setting up. Then my husband and I walked outside to the track where the race would start. Since I am not a fast runner, I merged in with the participants a little back from the front and waited.

When the race began, I had to deal with the sluggish jog/walk of the crowd through the start gate and then once things opened up a bit I had to weave around those walking or jogging slowly (pet peeve...they should have started to the back, not in front! :sour:). Once clear of that, I was able to settle in to my own pace. We left the track and ran onto the road. As I got to "The Hill" at around half a mile, I continued to run up the slope, feeling good. I run hilly country roads regularly, so this was nothing new for me. I passed quite a few others who were panting and slowing down or walking. Then it was on to the crushed limestone path through Kenyon College campus for about 3/4 mile, and then on to rolling rural roads. I recall passing quite a lot of people which was encouraging for me. Unfortunately, one of my race fears reared up at around a mile and a half - a dreaded stitch occurred well beneath my rib cage :inpain:...I felt a wave of discouragement, then told myself not to panic and to breathe deep and slow and stand tall/stretch and just relax and keep running...but most of all - don't panic! Several minutes later the pain eased away, and I was back to enjoying the race. As I said, I am used to hills from my regular running routine, but I was quite happy to find my ability to run comfortably/confidently downhill at speed had improved since my last race. I ran down the hills, passing runners, my legs moving quickly and my feet barely touching the ground before lifting again, and I heard one guy say to his buddy something about "ideal to minimize ground contact...that's the extreme" as I scampered past him.

After a little less than four miles, the course loop returned to the Kenyon Athletic Center where those running the Four-Miler turned towards the track and the finish, while those of us running the Half Marathon continued on to the Kokosing Gap Trail for an out-and-back. Here there were many spectators encouraging friends, family, and strangers. My husband was there as I turned onto the path, shouting and sounding the air horn :rolleyes:. Looking at my average pace at that point, I was pretty happy...the rest of the race was basically flat and smooth, so as long as I didn't "hit a wall" I was well on my way to a PR :D. I had a good rhythm going and I was comfortable. I started to overtake several ladies as we crossed a trestle bridge and I thanked one when she commented "Great stride!" as I came up beside her, then "And BAREFOOT? Good job!" as I passed her. I was feeling good and enjoying the run and the beautiful weather and the Spring growth in the woods. I noticed I hadn't seen any runners returning yet and realized I was keeping a good pace. Then a man ran by on his return trip at a fast clip...he was the first place finisher no doubt. It was another 10 minutes before I saw the next guy, then another a few minutes later, then the first female. I continued running. And running. I began to feel the psychological effects of my recent lack of "real" long runs. While I've maintained my average weekly mileage (25+), I'd rarely done a run exceeding 10 miles in a month or more (very unlike me). Now this race was beginning to feel quite long :eek:, when normally it wouldn't. I pushed that thought aside and concentrated on my current running. I was relieved to reach the turnaround point and the few spectators and officials there, and I continued to run. I started to feel my energy drain, I think mostly because I let myself think about the miles still ahead :facepalm:. Plus I was running faster than I am used to for a long run. I considered choking down an energy gel, but was afraid I might regret it; I was otherwise feeling good and I didn't want to trigger another side stitch or something. I took a few sips of water and started chewing a piece of gum...that seemed to help. I continued to smile and encourage the oncoming runners and walkers, and I kept running. I reached the point in the trail near the Kenyon Athletic Center and spectators, and I heard hubby and his air horn :hilarious:. Just about a half a mile to go. A little more path, a stretch of road, and then the track and the finish. As I rounded the far end of the track, I was very happy to hear that stupid :wacky: air horn and hubby's shouts as I approached the finish line. I wasn't able to kick it up a gear, but I did finish strong. I was very happy with my time. I scarfed down a bottle of water and I jogged and walked another quarter mile, stretched, then collected my finisher's mug and baby pine tree.

We went inside so I could get some coffee and snacks, and stopped at the results kiosk. I looked at the receipt that printed out my results and was thrilled with my new half marathon PR (01:54:18) and that I came in 31st overall...so distracted by that info that I completely overlooked the fact that I was first place in my division until my husband pointed it out. lol! I was shocked and in disbelief, and even thought he was kidding. I looked again - "Div Age Rank: 1". :jaw drop: Wow, I had indeed finished first place of women in my age group! I handed the slip of paper to the guy manning the rewards table, and he congratulated me and handed me an Earth Day Challenge Division Winner cap :woot:. Another runner said congratulations and we had a brief talk about running barefoot. Apparently he had been behind me at the 4-Mile/Half Marathon split and admitted he was surprised and impressed when I didn't turn off for the shorter distance. After eating a banana and a muffin and drinking some mocha, I took advantage of a short complementary sports massage, and then hubby and I wandered around the Earth Day Festival.

When we went home, I downloaded my run data to Strava and discovered I had earned 8 achievements in this race: 4 PRs (Half-Marathon, 20k, 10 mile, 15k), 3 second-best efforts (10k, 5k, 2 mile), and a CR (for the "Kokosing Gap Trail Climb" aka "The Hill"). Now I just hoped I had something left for the Capital City Half Marathon which was only a couple weeks after this race :wtf: .....(report on that soon....)

Very good! First in category is a good way to promote barefooting.
Can't wait to see more pictures of your next run.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Congratulations on everything Yvonne! Especially first place in your age group! That's especially sweet when you're not even expecting it. Great race report; you and Tristan are really putting Ohio on the barefoot running map. We Pennsylvanians are going to have to start picking up the pace! :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test