Dr. Phil Maffetone - no, not MAF training

Once again Jen, we're in sync. Mike must be a wonderful running partner. I've always have a soft spot for the nonsensical, even the nearly so. It makes so much more sense that rational singularities--if nothing else, because there are so many potential interpretations, like a great work of art writ small, very small, and as you note, possibly with the aid of chemical imbalances or outright toxins.

Reactions: jldeleon
That's a cute picture of you, Jen. Love the haircut too. Much better than that men's black hair piece thingie you used to wear. Hee.

Reactions: jldeleon and NickW
Once again Jen, we're in sync. Mike must be a wonderful running partner. I've always have a soft spot for the nonsensical, even the nearly so. It makes so much more sense that rational singularities--if nothing else, because there are so many potential interpretations, like a great work of art writ small, very small, and as you note, possibly with the aid of chemical imbalances or outright toxins.
Mike is a great running partner. He makes me keep it nice and easy instead of pushing myself way to hard. It really helped out a lot on the 15k we did a while back. He tends to make a plan and really stick with it.

Reactions: jldeleon

It's creepy cause I understood what you said. And, exactly!

Mike is a wonderful running partner. I "think" you read my Barefoot Anniversary Manifesto, but I summed him up in there!

And, he is easily entertained, which I love, cause so am I. Laughing at everything and nothing is something that not everyone understands. :)

And yeah, the texts...he uses interesting abbreviations that I'd never seen before, that I now use, that I now drives my husband nuts with. Throw in his lack of punctuation and capitalization along with his abbreviations, and yeah, it's like deciphering hieroglyphics!

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW

OK, I'm dying to hijack this link...I'm going to try to guess your sign Bare Lee. Are you a Libra, Gemini or Aquarius?

Like attracts like. And complementary elements tend to attract each other as well. Air and Fire, and Water and Earth. That's all there is too it. Friends, barefoot runners, work field, whatever the sub-culture -there tend to be similar signs in each . :D Most of my friends are Aquarius, Leo, Geminis, etc. Like you and I are air signs (Libra, Aquarius, Gemini), so we attract and are attracted to, a lot of fire signs (Leo, Sagittarius, Aries), and vice versa.

Cool you get the whole semi-ironic, semi-absurd academese thang. I don't know why I write like that, I know it can be off-putting for those who take themselves too seriously. Lions just want to have fun.

Hah! I shoulda known! You and Mike would eat each other for breakfast simultaneously! He's a Leo too!

Reactions: Bare Lee
From
Journal of Exercise Physiologyonline, Official Journal of The American Society of Exercise Physiologists (ASEP)
ISSN 1097-9751
An International Electronic Journal
Volume 5 Number 2 May 2002
Commentary
THE SURPRISING HISTORY OF THE “HRmax=220-age” EQUATION

ROBERT A. ROBERGS AND ROBERTO LANDWEHR

CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
Based on this review of research and application of HRmax prediction, the following recommendations can be
made;
1. Currently, there is no acceptable method to estimate HRmax.
2. If HRmax needs to be estimated, then population specific formulae should be used. However, the most
accurate general equation is that of Inbar (17) (Table 3); HRmax=205.8-0.685(age). Nevertheless, the error
(Sxy=6.4 b/min) is still unacceptably large.
3. An acceptable prediction error for HRmax for application to estimation of VO2max is <±3 b/min. Thus, for
a person with a HRmax of 200 b/min, error equals ±1.5%. If this precision is not possible, then there is no
justification for using methods of VO2max estimation that rely on HRmax prediction formulae.
4. Additional research needs to be performed that develops multivariate regression equations that improve the
accuracy of HRmax prediction for specific populations, and modes of exercise.
5. The use of HRmax is most prevalent in the fitness industry, and the people who work in these facilities
mainly have a terminal undergraduate degree in exercise science or related fields. These students/graduates
need to be better educated in statistics to recognize and understand the concept of prediction error, and the
practical consequences of relying on an equation with a large standard error of estimate (Sxy).
6. Textbooks in exercise physiology and exercise prescription should contain content that is more critical of the
HRmax=220-age or similar formulae. Authors need to stress the mode-specificity of HRmax, provide alternate,
research substantiated formula, and express all content of items 1-5, above. Similarly, academic coverage of
HRmax needs to explain how this error detracts from using HRmax estimation in many field tests of physical
fitness and in exercise prescription.