Don't run in Vivobarefoot Ultras

Smogz

Barefooters
Feb 4, 2013
II went for a run tonight in my ultras. I live in Sundsvall in the north of Sweden. The snow is just melting away so it's too cold for me to run barefoot. As I was running I taught I got a small stone in the shoe. I saw nothing in the shoe and kept running, but I could still feel it. When I took it off I saw a small stone wedged in to the sole that went straight through it and in to my heal. There's a lot of small stones on the asphalt right now on the streets used for making the ice less slippery in winter. when I got home there were a few marks any 3-4 small stones fixed in the sole. To bad i took them away before taking this picture that shows the hole from the stone going into my heal.

uploadfromtaptalk1365363006751.jpg

Isn't vivo barefoots supposed to be puncture proof?

Well they are still better than crocs for wearing around the house but I will not run in them again.

i don't know about those being puncture proof but i had a sharp piece of gravel go through my bikila sole and poke my heel. no blood that i can remember but it sure didn't feel good.

I think its their TPU soles on most the rest of thier shoes they are known for being tough but thin isnt it? Certainly not the Ultra with very thin EVA sole, its pretty much just thin foam IMO. Great for casual wear or smooth surfaces but not for trails, rocks, etc.

hey, another guy from Sundsvall, Sweden? What are the odds haha:) I barely haven't seen anyone in sandals, VFF's or barefoot at all for that matter in last couple of years at all around town.
I moved from the town out to Njurunda last fall but still do my runs around town and the "mountains" from time to time. Where do you live?

Sorry for off topic though...i have no experience with Vivo's but it doesn't look normal to me, you would think they would hold up a little better.

Well, definitely antislip rocks on asphalt is not good place to run with ultras.. I have used my ultras to run a little bit over 40 km run on easy trails and I have also used them in orienteering. Gets full of dirt and forest stuff, but still pretty okay, durability has not been an issue. In my use ultras last longer than normal boat anchor shoes cushioning... So, in my opinion, ultra's sole is best vivo's sole, I would like to see it with some kind of mesh upper..

Oddly enough I just about had something pierce my ultras today. I leave them at work lately for a lunchtime walk (downtown, paved paths) its usually pretty clean but I stepped on some piece of something that I felt poke my heel. Luckily it didnt go all the way through, but I could feel it pushing up into my heel.