Doldrums

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
It's sad but true that I just find it so hard to get my butt outside to run in the winter.

I see people out running in the cold, snow, rain and darkness and can only admire them and turn away.

I know I'm just at my low point here, but maybe putting in out in writing will help vent the inert-gas filling me.

Peace all!

It's sad but true that I just find it so hard to get my butt outside to run in the winter.

I see people out running in the cold, snow, rain and darkness and can only admire them and turn away.

I know I'm just at my low point here, but maybe putting in out in writing will help vent the inert-gas filling me.

Peace all!

It gets to us all from time to time Joseph.

Pay no attention to what other people are doing!

When i'm in a slump I tend to buy a bit of new kit, read an inspiring running related book or watch some dum running videos on youtube.
It's amazing how little a spark you need to ignite the engine again.
Spring's around the corner, not long now buddy and you'll burst out of hibernation and get those size nines basking in the sun again.
Talking with like minded people always helps, we all should talk more.

On another note Joseph i've just purchased my first pair of vibram kso's. I know you wear vibrams, can you tell me if they are meant to be skin tight? I mean my toes go right to the end, there isn't a retailer that sells them where I live so i had to go by the sizing chart on vibrams website and order them online. Having never owned a pair before i'm just not sure i've got the sizing right. Thanks.

Reactions: dharmadan
Arrgh, been there done that even when I continue with my runs over the winter, in fact, I think I run more in winter than I do in Summer.
Don't you have places with an indoor track?
Oh, wait, I am smelling something, what's that? SPRING?

Spring is right around the corner. Keep thinking about that. :)

Every year I quit running when it gets cold. This year I joined the Y. They have an indoor track and treadmills. I run barefoot on the track and wear merrells on the mouse belt.

I'm not sure which is more boring of the two bit at least I have continued running this winter and won't be starting over in a few months.

I've had the doldrums for the last year and a half. Getting the mojo back is slow, but I'm determined to be back in race shape by spring.

I have found that the older I get I am less inclined to run outside in the cold, I see my past posts on Facebook with the "On this day" thing and I was running barefoot in snow, ice, 20 some degrees... Maybe one day, but right now me and cold are not friends.

Joseph,

After many months off (renovating old dream house moved into), ran 2x this month. It. Is. A. Joy.

If I may, I figured go a few blocks or so, and allowed if wanted to end -- that's okay.

Once outside and moving, with fresh air this cabin-fever season, enjoy!

Letting go of distance/pace/HR/etc. -- just have fun!

I think it was RW print 4-5 years ago, "The hardest steps are getting out the door."

Sante! <3

@JosephTree I feel the same. Some say it's lack of vitamin D from low sun exposure, but I get a bit of seasonal depression. But it is not for the whole season so I don't think it is really that. Sometimes it's just about the view - cloudy dreary gray skies one day, bright clear blue skies the next I am like a different person and all excited. As much as I like snow it is a problem for barefoot running. And when the snow comes so does the salt and grit that make my already rough roads too harsh. Last winter was the first that I ran through consistantly and didn't have to do the start-over in the spring. This winter has been very mild and I have run through it for the most part, but my mileage is down.

@Barefoot Dama I think I read about you mentioning indoor tracks before. That is neat, do they normally allow folks to go barefoot though? I doubt there is any around here, at least close enough that I'd be willing to go. There is no YMCA in my county, to give you an idea how far out things are. I drive too far to go to work, on my days off I don't want to drive far.

Reactions: skedaddle
@Barefoot Dama I think I read about you mentioning indoor tracks before. That is neat, do they normally allow folks to go barefoot though? I doubt there is any around here, at least close enough that I'd be willing to go. There is no YMCA in my county, to give you an idea how far out things are. I drive too far to go to work, on my days off I don't want to drive far.[/QUOTE]

I fought tooth and nail with the administration to allow me to run barefoot(due to Morton's neuroma) on the track but I see others running barefoot there too...after they see me of course.
Too bad that you don't have anything like that accessible.

I did have a treadmill that I used just a little in the winter, but my ex took it. I never liked how the belt would tend to warm up against the foot, but maybe I'll look for one used in the future if I can find reasonably priced. But for something more reasonable this year I got a set of bike rollers and brought one of my bikes indoor. I know biking isn't necessarily equivalent to running, but at least it's something, and since I also bike it does help me keep in some level of biking fitness. I also do stairs at work, mainly on nightshift. Since I work in a 31 story high rise I have plenty of stairs!

With the warm weekend all the snow melted on the trail! Sucks that I never got to ski (and doubt we'll get enough snow again this year) but at least I can run again.

Thanks for all the support everyone!

I'm only just today getting back online for the first time since I wrote this post. Within hours of writing it I was laid out with a flu and couldn't do more than stay horizontal and cough.

Yes, Spring is lurking around the corner and Yes, I will get my butt out again and enjoy a run in a few days. Meanwhile, I have an excuse to conserve my energy.

Reactions: Tedlet
On another note Joseph i've just purchased my first pair of vibram kso's. I know you wear vibrams, can you tell me if they are meant to be skin tight? I mean my toes go right to the end, there isn't a retailer that sells them where I live so i had to go by the sizing chart on vibrams website and order them online. Having never owned a pair before i'm just not sure i've got the sizing right. Thanks.

Sked, You've probably tried them out for yourself by now. It all depends on how they run for you. I have a pair of Bikilas, my second, and a new pair of Spyridon. I wear a size 42 in both VFF styles. They fit much differently, though, with the Spyridon a more solid and constrictive fit. Both run just fine for me. I think I'm a little unusual in that I can go from one to the other to barefoot very happily, with no sense of discomfort or imbalance or any such.

Sked, You've probably tried them out for yourself by now. It all depends on how they run for you. I have a pair of Bikilas, my second, and a new pair of Spyridon. I wear a size 42 in both VFF styles. They fit much differently, though, with the Spyridon a more solid and constrictive fit. Both run just fine for me. I think I'm a little unusual in that I can go from one to the other to barefoot very happily, with no sense of discomfort or imbalance or any such.

Sounds like you've been really run down Joseph, get well soon my friend.

Yup, i've tested the vibrams out now, my big toes felt a little snug at first but they seem to have broken in now. I think a lot of it was I just wasn't used to having something wrapping around my toes, felt really strange at first, almost claustrophobic if that makes sense.
I was looking at the Spyridon's, they have kevlar built in the sole I think, to ease stone bruising, but I wasn't sure if they would be flexible so I went with the KSO evo's. Well happy with then now.

I did have a treadmill that I used just a little in the winter, but my ex took it. I never liked how the belt would tend to warm up against the foot, but maybe I'll look for one used in the future if I can find reasonably priced. But for something more reasonable this year I got a set of bike rollers and brought one of my bikes indoor. I know biking isn't necessarily equivalent to running, but at least it's something, and since I also bike it does help me keep in some level of biking fitness. I also do stairs at work, mainly on nightshift. Since I work in a 31 story high rise I have plenty of stairs!

With the warm weekend all the snow melted on the trail! Sucks that I never got to ski (and doubt we'll get enough snow again this year) but at least I can run again.

I have a dreadmill at home where I do my weekend long runs in winter.
I know what do you mean about the belt getting hot and all that but the more you do it the faster your feet adapt to it.

Thanks for all the support everyone!

I'm only just today getting back online for the first time since I wrote this post. Within hours of writing it I was laid out with a flu and couldn't do more than stay horizontal and cough.

Yes, Spring is lurking around the corner and Yes, I will get my butt out again and enjoy a run in a few days. Meanwhile, I have an excuse to conserve my energy.

Oh pobrecito Jose, deceandote una recuperacion muy rapida:nurse: