Doing Oceans and Comrades barefoot.

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Polar, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Polar

Polar
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. South Africa

Hi there

I switched to b/foot in August 2011. I have since done 2 x marathons barefoot with no problems. Well, not full barefoot as I switch to my Luna's for a few kays if the road surface gets really rough. I will be doing Oceans and Comrades barefoot with a bit of huaraches next year for the first time.

High risk but high payoff.

Anyone else doing anything similar?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Ansie

Ansie
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Ek beplan om die "Oceans"

Ek beplan om die "Oceans" kaalvoet te harloop volgende jaar.

3. Polar

Polar
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. South Africa

Mooi man!  Dan sal daar twee

Mooi man! Dan sal daar twee van ons wees.

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Polar, are you also in South

Polar, are you also in South Africa? If so, please feel free to join the South Africa Chapter under the Chapter tab up top. Welcome!

5. rickwhitelaw

rickwhitelaw
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Utah
    3. Arizona -...

Wow, that's a fast

Wow, that's a fast transition. I love running in my huaraches (Unshoes) and plan to do my next marathon barefoot and huaraches as a backup. Do you carry yours in hand or strap them to a belt or pack?

Rick

6. Polar

Polar
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. South Africa

@ TJ:  Yes I did the

@ TJ: Yes I did the application thingy for the chapter. Not sure if I am now a member. Thanks - great site btw. Much better than the RW one.

@ rickwhitelaw: ridiculously fast and TMTS. Would not recommend it to anybody. I am impatient by nature. After I read "The Book" I decided (in the space of a few hours) to go full barefoot from full marshmallow. I read the 6 - 9 month transition thing and did research but I am a "go big or go home" guy so did an accelerated transition. I am fairly in tune with my body so felt fairly safe in pushing the envelope. What also helped is that I don't wear shoes around the house, to the shops, etc anyway.

I tried a belt with a carabiner clip for my first marathon. Disaster! Besides the fact that your huaraches go bump, bump, bump 6 zillion times against your butt, the laces also slowly slowly get pulled out of place due to the weight on them. You'll know what that means! When I put my Luna's on, the laces were all wrong and I developed a massive blister within about 200 m. The system I use now is to simply tuck them into my energy belt, soles inward. One towards my left back and one on my right back. They sit still and I hardly notice them. It also speeds up the transitioning (putting on and taking off) as you can tuck them in and take them out while still running. Fiddling with a carabiner with sweat dripping in your eyes is no fun.

7. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

I've been slapped in the

I've been slapped in the hiney by my huaraches too in the past. ;-)

You are a member. You can see the chapters you are a member of under your avatar picture.