Dogs feet need protection....WHAT!?!

My problem with products like

My problem with products like this, or like Vaseline, are that they can mask potential problems with your feet during cold winter runs. Vaseline might make your feet feel warmer, but they might actually be so numb that you risk injuring your foot. It's happened to me a few times were Vaseline makes my feet feel nice and warm, and then I bend down to touch them and notice that they completely lack feeling.

I'm intrigued by this product, but I fear it will be even worse than Vaseline for me at covering up dangerous signs of cold and potentially frostbitten feet.

If all goes well, I'm going

If all goes well, I'm going to try out some Musher's Secret during my run this evening. It's actually in the mid 40's right now, which is pretty balmy compared to what we've had the last few weeks. I have really no idea what this stuff will be like in terms of putting it on my feet.

Oh dear,I wonder how long it

Oh dear,

I wonder how long it will be before we have dogs getting shin splints and foot problems.

But hey we will then get a new occupation to employ people Dog Podiatrists as surely dogs will need orthotics to correct their pronation problems. The poor doggie in the video looks like he will be needing help soon, maybe from a psychiatrist as well.

Neil

In short, Musher's Secret is

In short, Musher's Secret is for the dogs!

Pro -- Smells great, might be a really good foot balm.

Con -- Did nothing for the quality of my run. I ran in 47 degree weather, but the roads were very wet from melting snow and ice, along with a little fog and drizzle. I had forgotten how painfully cold that combination can be. I noticed absolutely no difference using Musher's Secret.

I will try it in dry conditions one of these days, but I'm not holding my breath. I think if dogs could talk, they would tell us that Musher's Secret doesn't really do that much for them.

FYI -- I'm not being paid by Musher's Secret to endorse their product. (It really does smell good, though.)

you're brave, Matt.  Failure

you're brave, Matt. Failure is the occasional price of being a pioneer.

Maybe the product doesn't work for dogs either, they just can't complain?

(BTW don't lick it off your toes; there was a note on their web site about a laxative effect if you do so.) :(

saypay45 wrote:My problem

saypay45 said:
My problem with products like this, or like Vaseline, are that they can mask potential problems with your feet during cold winter runs. Vaseline might make your feet feel warmer...

saypay, are you saying that the vaseline actually has no insulating effect, it just creates an illusion of warmth? (similar to drinking jaegermeister in the ski lift?) (not that I've ever done that :) )

stomper wrote:...saypay, are

stomper said:
...saypay, are you saying that the vaseline actually has no insulating effect, it just creates an illusion of warmth? (similar to drinking jaegermeister in the ski lift?) (not that I've ever done that :) )
That will be my next test -- jagermeister. I bet it will work!

I was on a hike in Boulder

I was on a hike in Boulder the other day and saw quite a few dogs in lil doggie shoes. I thought it was crazy weird until I got to the main trail - COVERED in huge shale rocks, boulders, tree roots. That stuff looked PAINFUL. The rocks were jagged, sharp, unavoidable...basically a minefield of oversized gravel that had tumbled down the moutain.

I was pretty glad I was wearing my moccasins. No matter how tough the sole might be, the terrain was seriously challenging, even for a dog!

That's my only exception, though.

And there were quite a few barefoot dogs...so it can be done, limpingly!

stomper wrote:saypay45

stomper said:
saypay45 said:
My problem with products like this, or like Vaseline, are that they can mask potential problems with your feet during cold winter runs. Vaseline might make your feet feel warmer...

saypay, are you saying that the vaseline actually has no insulating effect, it just creates an illusion of warmth? (similar to drinking jaegermeister in the ski lift?) (not that I've ever done that :) )

It definitely has some insulating effect. It is great for protecting against wind and snow.

My problem with it is that it also seems to have a jaegermeister effect as well. I've done several winter runs with vaseline where my feet feel a lot warmer than they actually are. I just think it works a little too well, and can get you into trouble. I prefer going without. Using a product like this as a crutch can get you in real trouble.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts