Dogs feet need protection....WHAT!?!

Barefoot Mary

Barefooters
Jul 27, 2010
Denver, CO
Hahahaha this made me laugh, and it made me scared:

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Cold_weather_running_with_your_dog.htm?cmp=17-7614

Also made me think about Saypay and Rick and those kids from Boulder (Michael & Jessie) and how their feet may be stronger than DOG FEET. What!?!

But dogs do have fur...and my old pooch when I was growing up was so pathetic when she came into the house with snowballs on her paws. Poor dooggie.

Oh yea, I remember this

Oh yea, I remember this stuff. Has anyone tried it on themselves yet?

Actually, I kind of feel for

Actually, I kind of feel for dogs now. Mine have had thick coats, but were driven crazy by ice buildup between their toe pads. Before I had tried running BF in cold conditions, I just thought, "they're dogs, whatever!" but now I know how nasty it is to have really cold and wet mud stuck between my toes, and how i'll do nutty moves to try to shake it off. Ice has got to be worse. So please, a little respect for the canines. [throw back lagavulin]

If I can run barefoot in the

If I can run barefoot in the snow without protection, so can my dogs. I take them with on all of my runs. But at the same time, I am very conscious of how they are doing in the MN weather. If they are picking up their paws too much, or if they are shivering, I take them home immediately.

Matt wrote:Maybe the Musher's

Matt said:
Maybe the Musher's Secret could become the Barefoot Runner's Secret. This needs some testing.

Anybody feel like writing them and asking for a sample? I'd try it. They could have a whole new market. :)

EDIT: never mind, I'll do it. PM me with your snailmail information if you want to be on the list of reviewers.

EDIT: wrote them.

Oh, I can't wait!  You guys

Oh, I can't wait! You guys let me know what you think of it. I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Oh, I can't

Barefoot TJ said:
Oh, I can't wait! You guys let me know what you think of it. I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait!

No guarantee they'll respond, obviously. I asked for several samples so we could have a balanced panel of barefoot running weirdos try it. :)

I want some!  I use Vaseline

I want some! I use Vaseline on the top of my feet on really cold days (read, for you guys anything below freezing, for me anything below 15 degrees F). It would be awesome to try something for the bottom of my feet as well.

I was just going to buy some

I was just going to buy some locally and not tell them what I was actually going to use it for. If I don't like it, I have friends with dogs who might like to try it.

A couple days ago, I stopped

A couple days ago, I stopped at a local store that carries Musher's Secret. Believe it or not, they were all sold out. I guess that when the weather turned nasty, they started selling it big time. The woman at the store had great things to say about it. They should be getting more in soon, and they will call me when it's in. Only $20 for a canister that generally lasts for the season.

I tried vaseline on my feet

I tried vaseline on my feet and between my toes the other day which was 40F but wet, conditions that are normally a bit uncomfortable. I'd say the vaseline made a small positive difference in the first mile or two before my feet warmed up. But I also got sore spots on the fronts of my two 2nd toes. Coincidence? I dunno, but I've never had them before. Still curious about the dog goop.

You can get a 60gm container

You can get a 60gm container of it at Amazon for 13.69. It gets great ratings. My husband thinks I should try it, so I'm waiting to see if he puts it in my Christmas stocking! I already got in trouble for ordering scuba boots when he had already gotten me a pair for Christmas. I don't want to get in trouble again...otherwise I'd order some! It sounds very intriguing!