Does Arch Type Predict Athletic Ability?

Types.jpg
Does Arch Type Predict Athletic Ability?
By Dr. Emily Splichal, DPM

It is believed that many factors play a role in the development of athletic performance. From cardiorespiratory capacity to skeletal muscle function, can our genetic and musculoskeletal makeup predict our talent as an athlete?

With many sports performed in closed chain environments our foot is highly integrated in lower extremity kinematics, postural stability and force production. Exactly how important is the foot type in determining athletic skill?

With most attention on the association between foot types and risk of injury, what if instead we took a moment to look at certain foot variances and the advantages each may have on athletic performance? To read more, please visit: http://blog.evidencebasedfitnessacademy.com/2012/04/25/does-arch-type-predict-athletic-ability.aspx

Don't read anything into the picture, please. That's just something I grabbed off the net, not Dr. Emily's. But you are right. The pointing of the toes shows these people were obviously confined in tight toe shoes for some time.

(sorry for my approximate english!)
I do not know whether arche type predicts athletic ability, yet I would highly suspect the regular use of rigid footwear (including first age, during walk learning period) to have a direct influence on arche type... besides, I assume barefoot activities highly contribute to strengthen the feet, and adjust the whole kinematic chain, including pelvis tilt ; As a whole, maybe the original statement mainly applies to shod people, and arche types would eventually be less variable for barefooters? (just an assumption...)

I still personnally believe that, at least to some extent, all things are relative and variable. Just a partial indication of the body's condition. I have been a lifelong proponate of foot bondage (odd...doesn't sound as bad stated like that, but I digress ;)) using orthodics and "supportive" shoes to "help" my very flat (low arch) feet. But now, after ditching the normal societal conventions for the last 2 years and restrengthening my feet, I no longer have flat feet. I haven't verified this with a podiatrist, but we all know how easy it is to tell how much of your foot has been striking the ground after a long run.

Reactions: happysongbird
To weigh in with this conversation, based on many years of observation of runners, while having a neutral arch is ideal, and while shod development probably has an impact on us, we do inherit our body style. When you consider this in the equation, and considering where we developed (european descent, nigerian, etc), natural selection based on where we came from has a basis in this conversation too, since our gene pool has quite a bit to do with the type of arch, and the type of body style we develop. While I agree you can strengthen the intrinsic muscles in the foot and leg, you cannot make your body more or less symmetrical since this is inherited.

This is important because many people maintain their arches without all the exercises walking shod. Some are more symmetrical and have bodies almost designed for running while others, have more difficulties since their bodies are not as well designed for running. Many kenyans are barefoot but they have an inflexible flat arch and near perfect mechanics, ideal for running barefoot in places like Africa which developed over many years of natural selection. In Europe, where shoes were standard, you see many deviations because the needs were not the same.

Also, with all the strenthening of the arches, while the arch may improve, over time, it will again collapse because of things such as foot flare and the way the rest of the persons body is built as well as their proportions.

The point I am making is that while having an arch is biomechanically more desirable, symmetry is more important because that affects the core which affects the legs which affects the intensity of ground contact. This is where running problems come from, shod or not. Also, we need to consider the idea of cheating the system as I stated in my book Cheating Mother Nature, what you need to know to beat chronic pain. Simply explained, it is not wrong to use a minimalist shoe and then use even a minor amount of correction such as superfeet e.g. to create symmetry, which helps improve core function, reduce over and under striding and reduces injuries. In our offices, this is how we get less than perfect form runners to compete and win, even though their body style without some help may slow them down or worse, leave them open to injury.

Since I am so flat-footed, I must have Kenyan in me! That's good to know. On the other foot, since I am an over-pronator, I would make a good gymnast. Oh, wait! I was a gymnast, and I was good!

Reactions: Sid
Since I am so flat-footed, I must have Kenyan in me! That's good to know. On the other foot, since I am an over-pronator, I would make a good gymnast. Oh, wait! I was a gymnast, and I was good!
Funny, I never would have pegged you for a Kenyan gymnast...

Hee. And gymnastics is a barefoot sport too!

Reactions: Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts