Does Anyone Use an App to Log Running Miles, Paces, and General Exercise?

I just started using Dailymile, as I wanted something that would pool the data from my previous Nike watch and my current Garmin. It seems okay, but the calculations are a bit off.

If you click on Run, Run, Run in my sig, it will take you to my public info which says Miles:395 total / 523 in 2012. So something is wrong with the math here.

If I go under my private settings for Gear, it says Barefoot 444 mi, Aqua Lite 182 mi which gives a total of 626. That's the total that matches up with my old Nike page.

This data is imported from the Nike and Garmin websites, so maybe it's more accurate if one types it in manually. Apparently, many people do use it for the social media aspect.

Edit: I'm giving RunningAhead a try. It's supposed to be able to import the data that I just spent hours updating in Dailymile. Data imported. Seems like there are a lot of ways to organize and display the data. Out of the ones I've tried, Nike, Garmin, Dailymile, TrainingPeaks, I like RunningAhead the best for pure running management. The $10 yearly ad-free subscription seems fair.

I looked at the feature "Find routes created by other users". Apparently, everyone else's suburban runs appear to be just as uninspiring as mine, though I'll bet that they haven't picked their routes based on the least amount of glass for barefoot friendliness!

I think that I'll keep still keep Dailymile for the social media aspect. I also needed a public page to replace my old Nike link which shows my runs. I don't think that RunningAhead has anything similar, other than a public profile with basic demographic information.

Just a question for you Garmin users out there. Do none of you use the free Garmin Connect website? When I download my Garmin I always use that because it seems to be more accurate for my elevation gains vs the Garmin program that came with the Garmin FR 305 and is installed directly on my desktop (this program sucks by the way while the Garmin Connect site is much much much better). I also like that with Garmin Connect I can share my routes or workouts with friends if I so desire.

Just a question for you Garmin users out there. Do none of you use the free Garmin Connect website?
I use the Garmin Connect website to look at my GPS and pace data. I'm using DailyMile because it was able to import both my old Nike and current Garmin data and for the frilly graphs to share with others. RunningAhead seems more user friendly and feature rich for my own personal use.

Reactions: happysongbird
Ah ok. By the way, how do you like the Nike GPS stuff? My Garmin is crapping out on me and I may just end up getting a new GPS system. I really would like one that I can replace the battery myself without having to send the watch off and paying nearly the same as I paid for the GPS watch in the first place. I really like the accuracy of my Garmin FR 305 though, which is why I hesitate even getting a new GPS watch.

Reactions: Sid
Ah ok. By the way, how do you like the Nike GPS stuff?
As GPS watch, the Nike was fine. However, there was no way to download the data. For example, I would sometimes run a quick 5K, then finish it off with a 10K. There was no way for me to figure out my 5K time. I couldn't download and look at the raw data. I ended up selling the watch. It was solid watch, but my needs have outgrown its feature set.

My Garmin is crapping out on me and I may just end up getting a new GPS system. I really would like one that I can replace the battery myself without having to send the watch off and paying nearly the same as I paid for the GPS watch in the first place. I really like the accuracy of my Garmin FR 305 though, which is why I hesitate even getting a new GPS watch.
Based on everyone's recommendations, I just got a refurbished 305. I don't know that any of the GPS watches are designed with user replaceable batteries. The back of the Polar RX3 looks encouraging, but there's nothing in the manual about replacing the battery yourself, just about proper disposal of the battery. I was looking at the top of the line Garmins and Suunto, and you have to send those in, too.

My Garmin watch sucked. I now use the mapmyfitness app on my droid razor maxx. I had problems losing the gps signal, but it was fixed in an update. Works well all the time now even on woods trails.

I use a Garmin GPS watch, then upload the data to the Garmin site, and then also transfer that data to mapmyrun.com, which also has an iPhone app. Not one I'd recommend, however, because in addition to the battery drain and data chewing, the GPS just wasn't terribly accurate and I found that sweaty fingers and a touchscreen are a continual source of frustration. Neither site gives me exactly the mix of data I want, but between the two, I can easily see what I want to see from a progress- and macro-standpoint. And, I'm not sucking down a lot of data any longer, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

I use imapmyrun as a gps sometimes as well as calorie counter and the daily mile to record and sheer all runs. Lots of friends on there and it's great to provide eachothermotivation.

I use mainly heiaheia.com, it's simple enough and you can type your run statistics - no need to connect your garmin, can be done with cellphone also. I use a bit of garmin connect also as it's automatic, but since I has training history on heiaheia for quite longer and even have few friends there, heiaheia stays my main logging software for now..

I really like the accuracy of my Garmin FR 305 though, which is why I hesitate even getting a new GPS watch.
Even though it sucks, have you considered sending it back to Garmin? Although a crummy option, according to this, it seems like Garmin will charge you $79 for an out of warranty repair and give you a refurbished unit. The refurbished unit that I bought, looks like it could be new, except that it came in a white box labeled refurbished. Or you could pay the $79, then sell the refurbished unit on Ebay.

Ah ok. By the way, how do you like the Nike GPS stuff? My Garmin is crapping out on me and I may just end up getting a new GPS system. I really would like one that I can replace the battery myself without having to send the watch off and paying nearly the same as I paid for the GPS watch in the first place. I really like the accuracy of my Garmin FR 305 though, which is why I hesitate even getting a new GPS watch.
My 305 started crapping out and resetting itself, so I decided to do some home surgery: the typical issue is a bank of contacts that don't connect properly inside. The case is stuck together with glue, and literally will pry apart with a knife relatively easily. You can clearly see the contact bank - I just bent them out a little bit so that they contact better when the case is together again. I used glue for repairing inflatable rafts to glue the sucker back together. Been working great for months now. Look online - there's a guy who detailed the procedure in photos.

Reactions: NickW
You are getting a lot of good answers, but I wonder if you want to buy another device for tracking or are just looking for a method for tracking. Using RunKeeper on my phone is nice because I don't have to log....just start at the beginning of the run and stop at the end...and leave comments. A GPS watch is probably much more accurate but also pricy if you dont have one (I guess a smart phone is quite a bit more expensive if you don't already have one either!).
I like the RunKeeper idea with your Ipad but think that an excel sheet might be more useful as you wouldn't need the internet.

I really like the accuracy of my Garmin FR 305 though, which is why I hesitate even getting a new GPS watch.
I think that I might save up for the Ambit. Supposedly, the battery is "designed to last the lifetime of the product". I'm thinking about getting it from REI due to their generous guarantee, which might come in handy. I bought a membership years ago, and in March they issue their annual dividend of 10% of your purchases from the past year (to be used towards future purchases). My Bank of America card also has an Additup program which should give 3% back, if I click through their site when making the purchase.

Holy cow that's expensive! I'd be saving for a couple years at least... I had looked at Suunto products before I got my Garmin and from what I understand they are pretty good. For me and what swayed me from the Suunto I had been looking at to the Garmin FR 305 was the display, large and easy to read on the Garmin. I do like that the Suunto is normal looking though.

Reactions: Sid
Holy cow that's expensive!
Yeah, at that price, it's definitely an investment. The only local stores that carry it are fine watch jewelry stores! You can find just the watch for as low as $425 shipped from an authorized dealer. However, a lot of folks have bought from REI due to the gaurantee. It tried it on, and it definitely feels like a solid watch. Garmin has always seemed a bit Fisher-Price, at least compared to this watch. I understand that Suunto is popular among folks with military backgrounds and that says a lot.

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test