Do you take your phone with you when running?

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Sid, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Tfox

Tfox
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Utah

I'm usually on the trails. They're close by and there is always phone service so I guess I ought to take it but I usually don't. My wife likes me to (deja vu?) but I've started just mapping out my routes before I go and she is fine with me leaving it. If I go on a long run then I'll take it. I'm not a luddite but I prefer to leave technology home when I go running. I'll admit though, there have been times that I've taken it and been glad!

happysongbird and Sid like this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Add onto that my hydration pack or belt, along with a pocket knife, sometimes camera, and if in the evening a headlamp, strobe tailight, someteimes additional handheld light, and a few extra AA's, and that completes out most of my gear I often bring. ;) Oh, I guess I often do bring backup footwear though, in my pack.

I remember this as I have been debating new phones. They make them so darn slim now and battery life suffers. But heck, when my wife calls during a run I often dont answer anyhow. :p Cell service is sketchy and depending were I run, most of my runs are usually 50% in the dead zone. :eek:

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    happysongbird, Bare Lee and Sid like this.
  3. NickW

NickW
    Expand Collapse

I don't have the bad cell service excuse here. I have excellent service throughout my whole neighborhood. Normally my wife never calls during my runs but I was out much longer than normal and hadn't gotten in touch with her to let her know I was running late (phone had died so couldn't shoot her a quick text). I can completely understand her fear when her husband is out running with their toddler and are out for 1-1.5 hours longer than normal. I would probably have been pretty p.o.'d like she was had I been in her position. I think I slept out in the doghouse for a week after that incident... and we don't have a dog to keep me warm and company...

4. clawhammer72

clawhammer72
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

That's what the beer is for, right?;)

Bare Lee and NickW like this.
  5. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

That watch phone contraption didn't work out. Couldn't get the sound quality adjusted to my satisfaction. I decided to order a Tune Belt instead. We'll see how that goes. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Bare Lee likes this.
  6. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

scedastic and Sid like this.
  7. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I was thinking perhaps something more indigenous to this part of the world? Though I'm torn between the traditional materials vs. more modern update.
    Then there's also a contemporary option. Perhaps, I'll just add them to my holiday wish list and let my family choose!

8. Larry

Larry
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Yep, I am something of a Luddite when it comes to technology (which is funny, because I'm an IT guy). I do have an old model iPhone, but I think I've got fewer than 5 apps installed.

That said, I can see the value in checking the weather if you're a chance of being blown off your feet by a tornado. :)

scedastic and Sid like this.
  9. RunningPirate

RunningPirate
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

Depends on the situation. If I'm running at home, I can pre-plan the route - knowing the distance, I can then just use my watch to determine my rate, etc... If I'm running at work, I'm doing an out and back on a path - in those cases, I'll use the GPS on the phone to track distance so I know when to turn around...when the GPS on the phone is working, that is...

Sid likes this.
  10. PB Junkie

PB Junkie
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Idaho

I ALWAYS carry my phone. This time of year it fits in my running pants pocket and in the summer, I carry it in something like this:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-NATHLP.html
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-NABASE.html

I knew of a gal that broke her ankle while running and didn't have a phone. She ended up doing more damage having to walk/shuffle to the nearest place where there was a phone. Yes, I know this is unusual, but I still like to carry mine.

I should probably add that I turn the sound off when I take it with me. I only have it in case of emergency. Like the time I came across a guy passed out drunk face down on the ground. I called the cops to check on him in case he wasn't just passed out.

scedastic, Sid and NickW like this.
  11. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

When I ran, yes, I would carry my phone in a small pocket. Can never be too safe.

Sid likes this.
  12. Tfox

Tfox
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Utah

There are some trails that I used to run a lot that usually had squatters camping nearby. They were not just people getting out of town for a while or traveling. They were often unstable and dangerous people. When I ran there I always took my phone. I recently moved and don't run there as often. It's also not usually a problem in the winter.

Sid likes this.
  13. rickwhitelaw

rickwhitelaw
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. Utah
    3. Arizona -...

I'll usually take the phone on longer runs in unfamiliar areas. Carry it my hydration pack.

Runs around my home I try to go out with the least amount of gear and weight that I can. Never had a problem on the shorter runs.

Sid likes this.
  14. Zetti

Zetti
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Doesn't your phone get wet??? Or do you put it in a ziploc bag first?? :D

rickwhitelaw likes this.
  15. spoonerweb

spoonerweb
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Taiwan
    2. Connecticut
    3. Presidents

Good for getting in some extra minerals.

Zetti likes this.