Do you run all year?

I take 2-3 rest days each

I take 2-3 rest days each week and run eternally unless injured badly enough not to. And injury (other than minor abrasions or tiny foreign objects that are easily removed) seems to be a thing of the past with BFR as opposed to a semi-annual event with shod running.

Year long. Why take long

Year long. Why take long breaks? Just make sure your body has adequate enough time to rest and repair itself each week and you should be fine!

Rest is good, I am learning

Rest is good, I am learning this in my older years. I usually will run all year, but since September my body has been breaking down a bit. Call it old age or 20 consecutive years of running but for me right now a break is needed. I am running once or twice a week now. Was thinking about taking all of December off but just can't do that. I run not only for fitness but for mental cleansing as well, my OCD will not allow me to totally take a break.

I know Elite Marathoners will take months off without doing anything. I will try to find this article I read but many of the top elite Kenyan runners will take up to 3 months off without doing any form of exercise, and they gain some weight on purpose. (Yes I know no one is near Kenyan status but it's just an example how rest is a good thing)

Even though I pushed pretty

Even though I pushed pretty hard marathon training this year to ensure I would finish, and although I felt "excellent" post-race, I shut it down for 3 weeks after MCM. I've been running again for the past two weeks.

Like BG said, as I get older, I get wiser (although my wife would argue this) and I thought I would take a bit of rest time. Here's the rest-status thus far:

1. For every week I rest, I lose a month of training results - I can't believe I ran a marathon on October 30th and 4 miles made me want to puke last week. Hmmmm, maybe this age thing is true.

2. Plantar skin needs to be kept active. Although I was BF around the house, it's not the same as running and while my foot muscles are fine, my plantar skin went in reverse a bit. 3 runs however has things just about normal agian.

3. Don't rest just because you think you need one. I felt great and rested anyway - MISTAKE. I should have just cut my miles radically instead. Lesson learned.

Cheers.

I have been running year

I have been running year round for the past couple of years but plan to cut back my running this spring to focus on strength training. Maybe like 6 weeks with a scaled back schedule.

The thing with me is I have

The thing with me is I have built up to running 35 - 40 mile weeks, I feel that somewhere it would be wise to taper off a bit, but don’t want to blow out my months of training as i’m planning my first ultra next year.

My heart is saying push on building up my milage and my head is saying back off a bit and start fresh in the new year.

It’s interesting what you said about elite marathon runners BG, I know their training schedule must be brutal though, and the risk of burnout high, what we consider to be a hard run would be a gentle jog to them.

I am also no spring chicken, so i need to take that into consideration, but not as an excuse as I’m fitter now than i have ever been in my life!

Speed sessions I avoid for fear of injury (but I do run hills) I don’t see many fifty year old’s lining up for the 100 meter dash but I do see a lot of older folk running distance races so my training need to include a lot of long, slow milage to achieve my goals for an ultra.

It’s good to see an overview from you folks, thanks for the responses, I shall taper things off a bit this December and pick things up again in the new year with proper race plans in place and a schedule to stick to.

skedaddle wrote:Its

skedaddle said:
It’s good to see an overview from you folks, thanks for the responses, I shall taper things off a bit this December and pick things up again in the new year with proper race plans in place and a schedule to stick to.

December is always a good time to do that as well, at least for me. Between the holidays and whatnot, plus for some reason the desire to run kind of dwindles for me at the end of the year. It's like my internal clock telling me to chill for a bit. Then the next year I am ready to go.

As far as speed workouts, I completely erased them from my regime now. I live in a very hilly area so I am always running hills, so there is my speedwork out.

My comment is very similar to

My comment is very similar to skedaddle's. I built my miles up for a marathon and would love to do a 50k in the spring. I feel like if I back off, I might lose some training. The problem I have is my high milage runs have been in shoes. Either Vibrams, Merrells, or Altras. This is somewhat confusing to my mind and body and I have to rest extra days after a long run. I love barefoot running and I am working on building up my barefoot milage, but weather conditions are making that tough.

In my case with cross-training, I have found that cross country skiing, especially climbing hills compliment running nicely and is very easy on the joints. I can substitute ski days for running days without feeling like any loss of training.

I have said training a lot, maybe a better term is preparation, or conditioning. I guess listen to your body, take time off if you need to. I am too addicted to running to even consider cutting back.

All year, though July and

All year, though July and August are my two lowest months of mileage due to the heat. So it is almost like a break.

I've only been running for 20

I've only been running for 20 months, and don't really run enough to back off much. It just gets tougher to get the milage in when the world is all messed up with snow and ice. So, I'll strive to keep up my 20 miles per week, running every other day. I also plan to keep my plantar skin up to snuff with a little gravel jogging in a play pool.

Next spring I'll rev up a bit to be ready for May races.

On another note, I feel like I might have stressed something at my last trail race and am going to lay off for 3 or 4 days just to see if it will stop feeling like something about to go wrong. I definitely don't want to be forced to take a chunk of winter off!