Do people running in boat anchors ever smile?

Agnesd

Barefooters
Jan 24, 2012
Lake Stevens, WA
The more I run on a more frequented trail, the more runners I see, and of course they all happen to be shod, mostly in boat anchors. I'm barefoot, or in my huaraches, happy, smiling, and enjoying myself. I try to acknowledge these people (as I was always taught is polite) and nod and smile:barefoot: . I know that some of them are probably very serious and in training mode, but it doesn't take any extra energy to look someone in the eye, and either nod, smile, or whatever.

Is it me? Is it the huaraches or lack of shoes altogether? I wasn't a runner until this past year, so I'm wondering if I'm not supposed to make eye contact or something. :oops: Or do I just continue on my merry way and continue to feel sorry for these runners who look like they're being tortured. :p <---(I would only make this face once they can't see me.)

Reactions: Sid
I am a non-smile barefoot runner, who runs angry at times, so it goes both ways.
Nooooooo really? I couldn't have guessed that in a million years Gentile... ;) Hahaha, I crack myself up. I think both sides can be that way, not just shoddies. I think for us bfr and minimalist runners we are used to getting looks and comments so many of us do smile back at others. I sometimes run like Gentile, and while not angry, I am very focused on my running. Most of the time I smile and say hi, but occasionally I am just really focused for whatever reason.

Well the only other barefooter I have come across 'in the wild' wasnt very personable... I've seen her on two different days, both while I was bare and coming head on. Once she looked at me quickly and as I was about to say something she glanced back down at the trail and kept on going. The other time I happened to catch up with her in the parking lot though she completely ignored me until I was at her car.

I've done a lot mroe running at the park shod still, and this kind of thing is normal in the city I'd say. About the only time people seem to be friendly is if your running at dawn... I guess the more passionate runners are out then, and pretty much everyone at least says 'good morning' in passing.

Now I am the introverted anti-social guy and even I think its pretty sad how this is more of the norm now.

The best advice i can give is 'be yourself' and if you want to nod and say hello then do it.
Who knows what's going on i someones head when they run! Some people are naturally shy and avoid eye contact, some maybe working through some difficault problems or even counting stride patterns, there are a million and one reasons why you may not be acknowledged.
WE ARE NOT SPECIAL BECAUSE WE RUN BAREFOOT! Always try to view the bigger picture in sittuations you have no control over. Have you ever considered some runners might be feeling sorry for you because you have no shoes on?

The more I run on a more frequented trail, the more runners I see, and of course they all happen to be shod, mostly in boat anchors. I'm barefoot, or in my huaraches, happy, smiling, and enjoying myself. I try to acknowledge these people (as I was always taught is polite) and nod and smile:barefoot: . I know that some of them are probably very serious and in training mode, but it doesn't take any extra energy to look someone in the eye, and either nod, smile, or whatever.

Is it me? Is it the huaraches or lack of shoes altogether? I wasn't a runner until this past year, so I'm wondering if I'm not supposed to make eye contact or something. :oops: Or do I just continue on my merry way and continue to feel sorry for these runners who look like they're being tortured. :p <---(I would only make this face once they can't see me.)

It's not the barefoot. People just don't say hi much. I find it weird, and i grew up in a big city, where people rarely did it, and now live in a fairly rural area, where it seems like people "ought" to. I've tried to say goodmorning to people walking their dogs (not all "focused" on anything, much less running), and I often get crickets.
I'd say my 'hit' rate for greeting responses is over 50%, but less than 75%, and can be much higher or lower depending on where I am.
For example, on some narrow hilly sandy biking trails with only a few dedicated trail runners/bikers/walkers, I don't think I've ever been ignored, and usually get greeted before I can even initiate.
On a wider flat gravel trail that's more popular with all kinds, fewer people will give any sign of greeting.

For me it's also a matter of upbringing and politeness to acknowledge a person's existence in such a venue. Others don't always feel that way, so I don't take it personally.

About the only time people seem to be friendly is if your running at dawn... I guess the more passionate runners are out then, and pretty much everyone at least says 'good morning' in passing.
I run almost exclusively in the morning in the dark around 5:30A. With the time change, the end of my run is now around dawn. It's a quiet world at that time. You pretty much feel like you have the whole neighborhood to yourself.

There are regulars for sure, other people who are early risers, who've also made the effort to get up at 4 or 5. Sometimes, it feels almost too quiet to break the silence with a hello, or maybe it's just easier to wave, or maybe it's just less effort or more non-committal as compared to smiling. Waving distracts me less, perhaps since my mouth is otherwise occupied with breathing. Most of the time, I get a hello or good morning or wave back from the regulars, who are mostly dog walkers. Sometimes, I'll come across someone leaving for work, and I'll wave, just so that they know that I'm friendly despite running towards them barefoot in the dark. Sometimes I get a response, but I figure they're mostly busy getting ready for work.

There's a couple that runs occasionally around the same time. They're not as friendly, or it seems like they're just getting into running. They don't seem to have that relaxed, comfortable, flowing gait that more experienced runners have. When I was beginning, I was mostly just focused on catching my breathe and moving, much less talking and greeting. Or maybe they're miffed by the barefoot guy overtaking them on the other side of the street. If only they weren't weighed down by those heavy shoes...

Well the only other barefooter I have come across 'in the wild' wasnt very personable... I've seen her on two different days, both while I was bare and coming head on. Once she looked at me quickly and as I was about to say something she glanced back down at the trail and kept on going. The other time I happened to catch up with her in the parking lot though she completely ignored me until I was at her car.

I've done a lot mroe running at the park shod still, and this kind of thing is normal in the city I'd say. About the only time people seem to be friendly is if your running at dawn... I guess the more passionate runners are out then, and pretty much everyone at least says 'good morning' in passing.

Now I am the introverted anti-social guy and even I think its pretty sad how this is more of the norm now.

Well, you were following he back to her car, dude - that probably freaked her out :D

Shod runners smile or don't, it all depends on the person and the circumstances, I think. Some folks might be distracted or concentrating or worrying about something. They also just might be an a$$hole. I think BFR's would be more inclined to smile at each other in a sort of "Oh! You do, too? Yea, I do, too!" sort of way, but not always.

The same goes for cyclists, I think - it seems that roadies don't smile, ever; all others it's hit or miss (though last week when I was BFR commuting to work, some roadies were chatting w/me about BFR, so there's always exceptions)..

I'm a smiley, friendly runner regardless of footwear. Especially when trailrunning.

for the record, my zero drop shoes are still boat anchors!
I figure zero drop shoes have less material in the heel, not more material in the forefoot, to make them zero drop. So would they still be considered boat anchors? I'm talking about the shoes with the crazy, fancy built up heels that look like they have springs in them. I look at my Dansko's and Z-coils (http://www.zcoil.com/ if you've never seen them) I used to wear to work (definitely not for running) and I wonder if I can ever wear those things again. Those were true boat anchors.

Agnes, he's wearing the Altra Instinct 1.5's which ARE basically boat anchors, just zero drop and wide enough for the feet and toes. Not sure about those other Altras he wears as I don't really know anything about them.

Well, you were following he back to her car, dude - that probably freaked her out :D

Shod runners smile or don't, it all depends on the person and the circumstances, I think. Some folks might be distracted or concentrating or worrying about something. They also just might be an a$$hole. I think BFR's would be more inclined to smile at each other in a sort of "Oh! You do, too? Yea, I do, too!" sort of way, but not always.

The same goes for cyclists, I think - it seems that roadies don't smile, ever; all others it's hit or miss (though last week when I was BFR commuting to work, some roadies were chatting w/me about BFR, so there's always exceptions)..
Roadies.... Off topic, but I busted a derailleur on my recumbent a ways back and was stuck on the side of the road when a crew of roadies zoomed by. No hi, no offers of help. They just zoomed by....roadies. Chuh!

yeah, the Altra road shoes I have are a substantial shoe, just without the built up heel. The trail ones make those feel like VFFs! Heavy, heavy shoes.

I want to like them. But I find I don't with each run. still smiley, though!

I think in rural areas it is much more common to greet anybody you encounter than in big cities where you wouldn't be able to find your breathing rhythm if you had to greet everybody you come across.
In some areas women might choose not to greet and simply ignore men. I can understand that.
As for shod trail runners: they need to concentrate really hard, because they can't feel the ground: they could slip the very moment they look up to smile and say hi. So they are excused as well ...

Roadies.... Off topic, but I busted a derailleur on my recumbent a ways back and was stuck on the side of the road when a crew of roadies zoomed by. No hi, no offers of help. They just zoomed by....roadies. Chuh!
I kind of resent that. I'm a roadie and I always stop to offer help, although it does seem as if there are a ton of roadies who don't follow the rules of the road, which irritates the hell out of me because that just gives the rest of the roadies a bad rap. I also hate when they ride 2-3-4 wide on a road with little to no bike lane, so they actually are taking up the car lane. Errrrggggggg.

I kind of resent that. I'm a roadie and I always stop to offer help, although it does seem as if there are a ton of roadies who don't follow the rules of the road, which irritates the hell out of me because that just gives the rest of the roadies a bad rap. I also hate when they ride 2-3-4 wide on a road with little to no bike lane, so they actually are taking up the car lane. Errrrggggggg.
You are awesome, Nick. But are you sure you're a roadie?;) Just kidding. I'm sure there are 1 or 2 roadies in every region who are good people. And I don't mind the others. I just like to match my disdain to their contempt.