Do any of you have food allergies (anaphylaxis)?

I'm alittle confused about

I'm alittle confused about something here. Even if this isn't a true allergy if you get anaphylaxis, that is life threatening regardless of if it is an allergy, is it not? Whether it is or isn't an allergy, if multiple times you've had your throat close up on you and this is treatable with an epi pen wouldn't it be best to carry it regardless of the cause of the anaphylaxis?

Perhaps that is what the allergist is getting at. That even though according to him there is zero percent chance of this being an actual allergy in the technical sense it is still causing a life threatening condition and therefore needs to be treated with an epi pen. Or is he claiming that not only is it not an allergy, but that there is no risk of anaphylaxis occuring again and so don't worry about avoiding the food? In that case maybe his is just telling you to carry the epi pen so that in the rare case that it does occur again 1) you are treated and don't have the possibility of being with O2 long enough to cause damage so that 2) you won't sue him. Basically the philosophy of better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

No, that's the thing. What he

No, that's the thing. What he is saying he thinks it is or might be are all things that just cause a sensation of throat tightening (reflux primarily), but are not actually dangerous. I think people experience throat tightening/closing with alot of things that are totally benign, or even psychosomatic, like an anxiety attack. Those things do not pose any threat and would present as just throat tightening/feeling of swelling and never progress into systemic anaphylaxis (with lowered blood pressure, swollen tissue that actually blocks breathing, etc. ). He said he would not allow me to do a food challenge, even in his office, if he thought there was any chance of anaphylaxis and I could just do a DIY food challenge myself. So why would I have to carry the pen if I don't have to worry about straight out eating the stuff? He thinks I have lactose intolerance and reflux and need to consult with a gastro.

Hmm well in that case if it

Hmm well in that case if it was me I think I would do several food challenges in controlled situations where you have the epi pen and your husband (or whoever) around to make sure everything goes ok. After several of those that go well then I'd keep an epi in the house and office but not worry too much about being obsessive with carrying it. Maybe toss it in the purse if you are going out to eat or somewhere that you don't know how the food is prepared. Seems like that would be the easiest middle ground.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts