Dirty Look

Woodsman

Barefooters
Jan 13, 2012
So, I am sure we've all had our share of weird looks before, but man did I get a look tonight

I was running my usual route and decided to do an extra loop through the neighborhood but down some streets I don't normally run on. This guy pulling into his driveway gave me a look like I was some kind of a registered puppy rapist or something. Really cold and angry. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

I just needed to vent. I think I may avoid that block for awhile.

So, I am sure we've all had our share of weird looks before, but man did I get a look tonight

I was running my usual route and decided to do an extra loop through the neighborhood but down some streets I don't normally run on. This guy pulling into his driveway gave me a look like I was some kind of a registered puppy rapist or something. Really cold and angry. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

Does make you wonder why anyone could get so flustered by what a stranger is wearing/not wearing/doing/not doing that is nobody's business but their own.

I'd have given him a cold and angry look right back, an accusing look, like he's the reason I have to run unshod. A look like he stole my sneakers and he's an a$$hole for doing it. Now we all no thats not the case. If I'm met with angry, I will sometimes give angry back or do the opposite smile, wave and wish him well.

Reactions: Woodsman
I should not type before coffee in the morning.... Now we all know that this "no" I've highlighted in red above was meant to be know, right? And look I screwed up "thats" too, should be that's or that is...... Glad we don't get graded for grammer or spelling on here.
No, we don't get graded, but sometimes I try to have a healthy sense of shame to my lack. sometimes I done tri atal

Reactions: Bare Lee and Lomad
How about shouting back, with a BIG smile, "Not doing anything wrong here. Just running." :smug: The smile will p!ss him off even more, but when he reflects, he will probably think we barefoot runners aren't so bad after all. I don't know. I mean, my tendency would be to flip him the bird and give him an ugly look right back, but I find myself doing the opposite of what I think I may want to do at first (most of the time) because that's just the kind of person I am. Try the BIG smile next time.

I have a neighbor that has looked at me like that for years, no matter what. I have seen him drive slowly by a few times when he's seen me on a local road running. Not sure what he thinks he's going to accomplish. I've tried smiling. I've tried everything. He just wants to be mad. But once, recently, I went ahead and greeted him with a wave and he accidentally smiled back. Hasn't happened again, though. It probably made him mad, like I trapped him into being friendly or something...

I think anything that is regarded as outside the normal is regarded with suspicion. When I was a punk years ago, we were banned from most of the places we tried to get into even though we were not the ones that caused the trouble. I've attached an old photo of my former self many years ago. (In case you haven't guessed I'm fourth from the left). Early version of Space Invaders being played.
Not barefoot at the time.

Neil

Attachments

• 81_11_14_Grenadier01.jpg
    81_11_14_Grenadier01.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 33
I have a neighbor that has looked at me like that for years, no matter what. I have seen him drive slowly by a few times when he's seen me on a local road running. Not sure what he thinks he's going to accomplish. I've tried smiling. I've tried everything. He just wants tod be mad. But once, recently, I went ahead and greeted him with a wave and he accidentally smiled back. Hasn't happened again, though. It probably made him mad, like I trapped him into being friendly or something...
Now to make up for it he's going to have to work on getting his face scrunched up into even more of a scowl. What a difficult neighbor you are, with your pleasantries and general lack of misery. Where's your shame?

Makes me appreciate Minnesota more, seems like a pretty live-and-let-live crowd, not terribly friendly, but not a whole lot of seething anger either.

@ loved the punk do Neil. I played in a lot of bands at that time: punk, post-punk, 'new wave', even country punk and jazz punk. Warmed up for Husku Du and The Replacements. That's about as far as I got before packing it in for the traveling life . . .

Reactions: scedastic
...registered puppy rapist or something. Really cold and angry. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

Especially avoid this block if you run with a puppy....

Reactions: Bare Lee
I think anything that is regarded as outside the normal is regarded with suspicion. When I was a punk years ago, we were banned from most of the places we tried to get into even though we were not the ones that caused the trouble. I've attached an old photo of my former self many years ago. (In case you haven't guessed I'm fourth from the left). Early version of Space Invaders being played.
Not barefoot at the time.

Neil

I knew there was something I liked about you, Neil, although I was into metal back in the 80s.

Reactions: scedastic
So far I havent had any neagative comments about running BF here in Nebraska but have had the strange looks ever now and again. Last night while walking through the park to get to the local trail where I run I met the same two ladies whom Ive met nearly every time I run. They are always friendly but I dont think they can figure out why I'm always walking barefoot in the park. Well last night I happened to meet up with them at the point where I leave the park and get on the trail. This is where I begin running. Just after I started to run I happened to look back and noticed that the two of them had stopped walking and were both watching me. The look on their faces was a look of surprise but I guess they had probably not seen me run before as I always met them while I was walking BF in the park. Im sure they thought what the.... Kinda funny but hey least they are friendly.

Does make you wonder why anyone could get so flustered by what a stranger is wearing/not wearing/doing/not doing that is nobody's business but their own.

If I may draw from my experience living in New Jersey, I have observed that there's a high amount of busybodies there, thus explaining why some folks tend to care about things that are none of their concern...

I should not type before coffee in the morning.... Now we all know that this "no" I've highlighted in red above was meant to be know, right? And look I screwed up "thats" too, should be that's or that is...... Glad we don't get graded for grammer or spelling on here.

There, their, they're - don't be so hard on yourself! At least you're not typing in that teenager/Prince speak using 2, 4, C and U instead of "to", "see", "for" and "you".

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS