Dilemma of going barefoot but selling shoes...

Basti

Barefooters
Jul 22, 2015
www.beuteltiere.org
I've been into barefoot and minimal shoes for several years by now. One could probaply call me a 100% convert as it's THE way for me and I can't imagine going cushioned ever again. Even most of my friends are going more and more minimal (or even bare) probaply thanks to me.

As an avid backpacker and general outdoors guy I started working in an outdoor store a while ago. Selling clothing, backpacks, sleeping bags and... shoes! :nailbiting:
We don't have any minimal shoes (the most "minimal" model we stock still has a 6mm heel drop!) but fokus on mountaineering boots and classic hiking shoes.
You probaply see the dilemma building up in my head. From my experience a trained person doesn't need any of these shoes. Most of these shoes may even harm the user over long time as they have a lot of build in "support" that may weaken their feet even more.

We get a lot of unexperienced customers when it comes to backpacking footwear. Most of them got their knowledge out of magazines or advertising. That means even for dayhikes in quite flat areas with established trails they are looking for the most sturdy footwear we offer. When they ask me for advice I usually do "the talk". Means I try to explain the benefits of a natural gait and how less is more. Most of the times I manage to convince them to give trailrunning shoes a try. Of course trailrunning shoes (especially the kind we sell) are still far from going minimal or even barefoot. But for most of our customers they are far less than what they were looking for in the first place.
A lot of these customers come back to our store to thank for the good advice and how surprised they are how well their new shoes perform compared to traditional backpacking boots.

From my point of view I'd prefer if more people would see the benefits of going minimal or bare. But from my experience in this store it's already a huge step for a lot of people to forget about all this advertising and mantras about "good shoes with build in support". I consider it a first step into the right direction if people start questiong these dogmas and are willing to give something less a try. Even if it's still far from minimal.

That's a toughy. You have to make a living. You have to support yourself and your family. It's work. It's a paycheck. As long as you're working there, continue to advise them on what is healthier for their feet, or at least encourage them to give it a try. Perhaps you can talk them into carrying the Lems line of shoes, especially their boots (hiking). Let's hope you don't get caught turning business away though. ;)

Thanks for your comments. Although I'm completely into BF I guess it's not my job to convert everyone else to do the same. If other people (including my customers) show interest in going minimal or BF or if they ask me for advice I'm always happy to help! I guess one could get more people into thinking about going BF by living/ acting as a good example. At least the one good point of normal running shoes is that they affect just the person that uses them and not any bystanders. (compared to smoking or other harmful stuff ;) )
As far as it comes to me as a salesperson I'm glad that my boss completely supports me with this. Usually our customers are quite happy to get a rational advice that's funded on real experience instead of some marketing-talk. Even if that means customers think twice about what kind of shoe to buy. But then they usually return to get other stuff (jackets, backpacks, etc.) as they honor the good and honest consulting.

Reactions: dharmadan
Most of y'all know I'm a hardcore barefooter, and don't mess with even minimalist shoes anymore unless required to. But I have no problem recommending traditional shoes to most folks. Sure I'll mention how barefoot can be better. But the simple truth is most people are lazy and not very 'tough' and won't want to do it anyhow or won't commit the proper effort into the gradual transition and slowly but consistantly conditioning the feet, etc. I don't want someone to go out and hurt themselves and just be more fuel for the barefoot haters. Like I said I still mention about barefoot and minimalist, but I immediatly then add that since most of us have been shod for decades already that it requires some effort and patience and is something you can't expect to jump right in there and perform like a pro. If I don't think a person is willing to go through the proper acclimation then I'd rather keep them in traditional footwear, albeit more light, roomy and flexible ones.

All that being said, most of the hiking community has really migrated towards light weight low cut trail runners from the heavy stiff and tall hiking boots of yesterday. Maybe not quite minimal but a big step in the right direction. And most any hiking forum would support that. Some times you need the heavy duty tools to do the more extreme jobs though... I wouldn't go out mountaineering in the frozen winter without some decent boots!

Reactions: Longboard
But the simple truth is most people are lazy and not very 'tough' and won't want to do it anyhow or won't commit the proper effort into the gradual transition and slowly but consistantly conditioning the feet, etc.

That's how podiatrists justify putting everyone into orthotics. They claim a high rate of success with them and patients readily comply.
Provided they wear them full time including during middle of the night pee trips they actually do work to alleviate foot pain. Never mind they throw off hips and backs in the process but that's just an acceptable side affect in their view.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
That's how podiatrists justify putting everyone into orthotics.
While they may use similar justification, nothing else corresponds to what I said. I'd never suggest orthotics and usually recommend a more minimal approach. I'd just not recommend barefoot or truly minimalist shoes for someone to go on a backpacking adventure into the mountains with no experience or one who will not put the effort in to practice and transition properly. This is of course after explaining the benefits of natural gait which most podiatrists probably wouldn't even do. Basti - if all your store has is mountaineering boots and traditional hiking boots then yeah I see your dilemma. But a lot of us have to do things for our jobs that we don't necessarily agree with. If its any consolation I'm somewhat of a tree huger / nature lover and work for a big power company. Somedays I am involved with wind or hydro plants and feel a little better. Other days I kind of cringe as I punch in "1300" next to the mega-watt target value as I send up one of the biggest coal plants around to full power. It is even worse for me since several of the coal plants I control were in particular sited in the Sierra Club lawsuit a few years back as polluting the very mountain range that is in my avatar currently...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts