Detroit Marathon!

stjohnthegambler

Chapter Presidents
Jun 28, 2010
Oregon
www.johnyohe.com
Finished! Slipped in under four hours at 3:59 (by my watch). A new PR, beating my first marathon time from way back in 1999. I'll have a blog post up soon, and hopefully TJ will feature it on the front page.

Also: There was another barefooter ahead of me, though I never quite caught him. Is it anyone on here?

John

http://johnsbarefootrunningblog.blogspot.com/

www.johnyohe.com

Of course we will.  Thanks

Of course we will. Thanks John! And congrats on another successful race!

I was the only barefooter I

I was the only barefooter I was aware of in the 5K, and I did'nt see or hear of any others in the full or half.

'Course it was dark at the start, and pretty crowded with 20,000 people, most of whom started at the same 7:00 time.

I guess we are still rare enough that most people don't ever notice the three out of 20,000.

One female collapsed at mile two, and remains hospitalized in critical condition, but I heard nothing about it until I checked the Freep.com. If that goes un-noticed and un-talked about post race, I suppose shoeless runners are pretty invisible as well.

Congratulations, one of these days I'll run into you at a race.

I hope she'll be okay.

I hope she'll be okay.

After reading your blog post

After reading your blog post we definitly ran the same race....it's just that I only ran .1183206 of the distance you did!

Same weather, people, comments, and early cold & dark start .

By the time the sun came up I was done, but we hung around and watched many of the 4 hour marathoners come in, somehow missed you as well as the other barefooter.

I was lucky enough to have family support at the start, so I shielded my soles from the cold while waiting with a pair of New Balance slip on clogs rather than disposable socks. I kept slipping out to stretch and to wipe my soles on the cold pavement assuring that I was'nt softening up from sweat, and with my D-tag velcroed to my ankle the group next to me assumed that my laceless 801's neccesitated the ankle strap.

"You're really going to run in those?"

I answered "No way" with a smile.

"Oh....I was wondering how.........wait!.....You're not running BAREFOOT are you?!"

"Yeah" I replied.

And they thought that the slip-ons seemed crazy!

Two or three minutes later I left them in the dust after tossing the clogs over the rail.

A half last week and a full yesterday? No WONDER you're sore!

Ha, oh so much fun, Board!I

Ha, oh so much fun, Board!

I was carrying my VFFs throughout one of my earlier barefoot races, as insurance you know, and this lady comes up to me after the race was over and says, "You didn't run in those, did you?" I said, "No. I ran in these," and pointed to my bare feet. Ha!

I found this about the woman

I found this about the woman who collapsed under the headlines of another unrelated story....

Runner gets better; family seeks helper
A metro Rochester woman who collapsed Sunday near the Ambassador Bridge during the 33rd Detroit Free Press Marathon is recuperating at Harper University Hospital, and her family would like to find the mystery man who helped save her life.

"We hope that the man who gave my Paula CPR until the paramedics arrived will come forward. We want to thank him in person," according to a statement issued Monday by Geoffrey Southart, the husband of Paula Southart.

The man was given contact information for the medical staff at the marathon. He now is asked to call Detroit Receiving Hospital spokeswoman Ruth Kremer at 313-745-8260.

The reason Southart collapsed was unclear Monday evening but she was "stable and improving," said Kremer, quoting her doctor. She initially was taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital in critical condition, but later transferred.

Read more: Cops: Man ran away with baby, crashed | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101019/NEWS05/10190441/1322/Cops-Man-ran-away-with-baby-crashed#ixzz12oBWAENv

I'm glad she is improving.

I'm glad she is improving.