Detroit and GR marathons? How'd everyone do?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by stjohnthegambler, Oct 16, 2011.

1. stjohnthegambler

stjohnthegambler Barefooters
    1. Colorado

Hey folks. Well, I did 4:07 at Detroit today. Saw one other BFers, doing the half (after only running BF since September!) and numerous VFFers.

2. betsig250

betsig250 Barefooters
    1. Michigan

I ran Grand Rapids Marathon today. Finished somewhere under 4:30. Saw a bunch of 5 fingers, No Merrell's. :( One person did run it barefoot.

3. 7ships

7ships Barefooters
    1. Wisconsin

Nice job John!

4. jones

jones Barefooters
    1. Michigan

I ran the Detroit Marathon in 4:29. Was hoping for a 4:15 or better finish but at least I finished. I think I took it a bit easy the first half due to the rain and the fear of the feet not holding up in the rain.

5. LeeJo

LeeJo Barefooters
    1. Michigan

I did the half at GR. I have been nursing a sore IT band for a few weeks, and tweaked it around mile 2-3 by stepping into a dip that I didn't notice because I get weird when I have people around me and was very unfocused. The run sucked, it hurt, and my time was awful, but I finished. It was about a 3 hour run of pain.

6. Smelph

Smelph Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Michigan -...

way to go everybody! between Chicago, Detroit and Grand Rapids (amongst the various Ultras that have been going on lately) we have been well-represented!

7. stjohnthegambler

1. Colorado

Thanks Johnny!

Yes, I too was worried about the rain and whether my feet could take it, but they were ok. less raw than previous times even. We only got one light shower. sounds like GR was a bit more wet?

8. brahmwindeler

brahmwindeler Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Nice job, John!One of my teammates for the Freep relay said she saw a barefoot runner during her leg (#3), which would have likely been after the half-way point. Maybe it was you?

I ran the first leg of the relay (6.2 miles) in my FiveFingers. I did some barefoot running earlier this summer but not enough to keep my soles from re-virginizing. I've never run that leg before so I didn't know if the bridge was all pavement or if some of it was metal grating. It's just as well, as there was a large patch of nastly looking road construction aggregate in-fill at the approach to the Ambassador Bridge that I had to run over due to getting trapped in the crowd. I also didn't train regularly enough leading up to the race so my calves were a bit sore afterward, but all in all it was a fun run.

9. stjohnthegambler

1. Colorado

Yeah, that gravel before the bridge caught me by surprise! I saw a number of VFFers. Met one other barefooter, he was running the half. Next year maybe you'll be up for the whole thing? :)

10. Jocelyn

Jocelyn Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Awesome race John! I ran the Detroit full and someone passed me and said there was a barefooter on the course, I was wondering if that was you. :)

11. Jocelyn

Jocelyn Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Awesome race John! I ran the Detroit full and someone passed me and said there was a barefooter on the course, I was wondering if that was you. :)

12. Longboard

Longboard Chapter Presidents
    1. Michigan

I was planning on the Free Press 5K but was surprised to see it sold outa few weeks before the event.

I understand why they need to limit the number of runners in the full and half, but what's their reasoningfor capping the 5K at 2500 people?

13. stjohnthegambler

1. Colorado

14. volleylamb

volleylamb Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Hey John...I'm the guy who has been barefooting since Sept. Thanks for the heads-up about this website.

I missed my goal time of under 2 hours by one minute. Oh well...I knew it would be close when I came out of the tunnel to the wet pavement. My feet got pretty soft the last four miles and I lost a lot of time.

The first three toes on my left foot went numb during those last miles, once they thawed out at Bob Evans I had some nasty bruising half way up my foot. I think I popped some blood vessels going over that gravel on the way to the bridge.

Back out and at it the last two weeks. I will be running the wicked halloween 10k in Plymouth this Sunday and then training for the Gasperilla Ultra Challenge in March. (Sat: 15K followed by a 5K; Sun: Half Marathon followed by an 8k...all for a sweet medal that will rival any belt buckle from Texas in size).

Rock on,

Rich

15. bmulnix

bmulnix Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Grand Rapids for me Thanks... 4:07 in GR, a little strange that after running together at Dances with Dirt we must have gotten in sync. I ran 25.2 miles in the Soft Star Moc3's and ran a whole mile Barefoot. I saw only a few VFF's and no one barefoot. Fall Marathons in Michigan are tough on the barefeet. Too cold for me to run more than a mile after a 20 mile warm up. Those that can run barefoot that far amaze me.

You can read the full Race report on my blog if you want: http://brandonmulnix.com/grand-rapids-marathon-2011-my-first-repeat-race/

16. stjohnthegambler

1. Colorado

Hey Rich, welcome! And ouch on the bruising! That doesn't sound good. Glad it didn't discourage you though. Where is the Gasperilla?

Brandon: Come on man, you ran 100 miles! You can take a little cold! :)

17. volleylamb

volleylamb Barefooters
    1. Michigan

Gasperilla is in Tampa. I won a free admission while in Boston (wife qualified). Decided it would be a good time to get some sun.

Ran the Wicked Halloween 10K yesterday. Turns out my feet can handle colder weather than expected..31 at start, 34 at the finish. Once the core warmed up, the feet warmed up (about a mile).

18. Jocelyn

Jocelyn Barefooters
    1. Michigan

VFF + Kilt! I'm happy with my time - 3:43, but was hoping for sub-3:30.

I ran with a pace group for the first time. I went with the 3:30 pace group, and I know we had to make up some time for the 9:00 miles in the crowd for the first couple miles, but holy cookies we were cranking it. Miles 4-10 were mostly 7:20-7:40 and there was a 7:02 mile in there. That's exactly what I didn't want to do - go out so fast - but I stuck with the group anyway until around mile 16 when I fell off. Still a great experience!

19. stjohnthegambler

1. Colorado

Hey Jocelyn, I'm surprised I didn't see you. I was up with the 3:45 pace crew briefly. Ah well. Nice pace! How do you get so fast? I was hoping all the ultra-ing I did this summer would help me on the measly marathon, but maybe I got out of shape faster than I would have liked.