Decided to try some Teva Sling Kings.

Nyah

Barefooters
Oct 29, 2010
RockCreek.com offered the Teva Sling King in my size (mens 8 USA size) for only $25 so, I thought they'd be worth trying. The first problem I noticed is that the length in front of the big toe is way too short for my foot. This is odd because my Teva Spitfire sandals are also size 8 and fit me a lot better. I think this Sling King might suitably fit someone who wears USA mens size 7, The second problem, I was disappointed with how stiff the sole is in the forefoot area. I have 3 examples of cheaper water shoes and each of them offer a heck of a lot more ground-feel than the Sling Kings do. I think this is partly due to the rubber compound and partly due to the Tevas having a toe spring. I didn't expect these to be great but hoped that they'd at least fit well and be flexible enough. I'm going to either give these to my mom or send them back for a refund.

Thanks for the review, Nyah. 

Thanks for the review, Nyah. I have often thought that they looked bulkey, and had way too much rubber and strapping going on, but I'm sure others might like them.

Nyah,I had to go up two

Nyah,

I had to go up two sizes to a 14 to get them to work for me. The stiffness you refer to does not bother me as much as the narrow toe box which drives me crazy whenever I put them on. I am not a big fan of neoprene. My feet tend to sweat more in these than anything else. I also understand I am using the product for other purposes than the original intent of the manufacturer so I will temper my criticism. I am anxiously waiting on a new pair of minimalist running foot coverings for our beautiful Michigan weather. We just started to get the white stuff sticking around on the ground over the last couple of days. I knew it was coming sooner or later. :((

Good luck and happy running!

Oh bummer - I have Protons,

Oh bummer - I have Protons, not Sling Kings, and for me, the toe box is plenty wide. I really like these - but only when it's messy and very cold. TJ, I don't think you live far enough north to enjoy them. They are great in slush and inches of snow.

I hate my Protons --- until

I hate my Protons --- until it turns 50 degrees and then they are the best minimalist shoes ever. I have had problems with spraining and bruising my big toe in water shoes so I actually really appreciate the stiff toe. The Protons have the widest toe box I have - I hope the Sling Kings are not different. What is the spring in the toebox?

jschwab wrote:I hate my

jschwab said:
I hate my Protons --- until it turns 50 degrees and then they are the best minimalist shoes ever. I have had problems with spraining and bruising my big toe in water shoes so I actually really appreciate the stiff toe. The Protons have the widest toe box I have - I hope the Sling Kings are not different. What is the spring in the toebox?

My lower limit is lower than yours. I hate mine until it's below 25 or super slushy. Then I

The strapping is very similar

The strapping is very similar to what's on the VFF Sprints. I don't think it will cause any mobility problems. One could say that the strapping adds weight but I consider the amount as inconsequential. I actually had specific plans for the strapping system and wouldn't have bought the shoe if it didn't have it (there was never a time that I ever wanted the Proton).

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7