Deadly Broken Glass Dilemma (2012 April) Ken Bob Saxton

Both were really small slivers that you just can't see when running. Oh well, didn't cause any real damage or anything.
Two days ago I finally found the last fraction of the sliver that made me reply to this post in the first place. This is my sliver-PR: it stuck in my foot for two weeks! Believe me, as long as there is the tiniest sliver left in the skin, the inflammation won´t stop (which is a good thing, otherwise one wouldn´t know that there is something wrong). All the others slivers before hadn´t caused any real damage, this is an exception from the general rule. Good to hear that you neither had problems with your first two slivers, Nick :). To get them out right away is the best you can do.

Picked up my first piece of small glass yesterday. Of course the wife was all over that one with "see that is why you should wear shoes". :)
I believe it´s easier to handle such a situation when you´re coming from the "I knew the risks and I took them."-standpoint compare to "I´m safe, there´s no risk." or even "Only idiots get hurt, but I´m smart."

Interesting question: Do you guys reconsider wearing shoes now or are you going to take the risk which is now familiar to you?

BTW: I chose shoes today on the sliver-road, but only because of the double-marathon in three days, which I´m not willing to risk because of some stupid drunkards who don´t care about littering their bottles ;)

I live in a pretty clean area, but the amount of glass I come upon is disgusting, it's people throwing shit out of their car windows, or just not caring an littering. The glass that worries me is when they are in big chunks, like a snapple bottles don't smash in tiny pieces. There have been times when I got lucky and somehow avoided chunks of glass like that, kicking it could definitely split the foot open. I would rather run on shattered glass than be faced with chunks, the slivers of glass can be painful and annoying but it's better than nice gash that needs stitches to close it.

When I run I see glass allot, but it doesn't deter me from running barefoot.

Two days ago I finally found the last fraction of the sliver that made me reply to this post in the first place. This is my sliver-PR: it stuck in my foot for two weeks! Believe me, as long as there is the tiniest sliver left in the skin, the inflammation won´t stop (which is a good thing, otherwise one wouldn´t know that there is something wrong). All the others slivers before hadn´t caused any real damage, this is an exception from the general rule. Good to hear that you neither had problems with your first two slivers, Nick :). To get them out right away is the best you can do.

I believe it´s easier to handle such a situation when you´re coming from the "I knew the risks and I took them."-standpoint compare to "I´m safe, there´s no risk." or even "Only idiots get hurt, but I´m smart."

Interesting question: Do you guys reconsider wearing shoes now or are you going to take the risk which is now familiar to you?

BTW: I chose shoes today on the sliver-road, but only because of the double-marathon in three days, which I´m not willing to risk because of some stupid drunkards who don´t care about littering their bottles ;)

I will go on with barefoot until winter hits. When I think about it, I have gotten more glass in my feet in the kitchen the last couple of years than I have running barefoot. ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee
Joohneschuh, I subscribe to the 'shoes are tools' paradigm, as opposed to the 'barefoot purist' paradigm. Where I live right now, in St. Paul, Minnesota, going barefoot is a cinch; glassy areas are easily avoided. But if you don't have any relatively clean routes available, and get cut on a consistent basis, then I would consider donning some kind of sandal or shoe.

I will still run barefoot because it's the glass slivers that are the oddity and not the other way around in my neighborhood. There was no glass shards or any indicators any where near when I picked up the two slivers of glass. Someone had obviously cleaned up the glass and just missed the little slivers. They were also in two totally different areas, one on the sidewalk and the other about 3 miles away on a paved path in a park. I'm not going to live my life in fear of slivers of glass just like I will not worry about the little stones or gumballs on the path (which are much much much more common).

I will still run barefoot because it's the glass slivers that are the oddity and not the other way around in my neighborhood. There was no glass shards or any indicators any where near when I picked up the two slivers of glass. Someone had obviously cleaned up the glass and just missed the little slivers. They were also in two totally different areas, one on the sidewalk and the other about 3 miles away on a paved path in a park. I'm not going to live my life in fear of slivers of glass just like I will not worry about the little stones or gumballs on the path (which are much much much more common).
Right now my major concern is inhaling heavy does of fertilizer vapor. Sometimes it makes my eyes water. I wonder what it's doing to my lungs.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts