Dairy - Yes or No or Maybe

I don't buy it. TV doctors

I don't buy it. TV doctors always have to have the next best diet. Maybe instead of sitting on their butts watching the Doctors they should go for a walk. I drink whole milk, and I eat lots of cheese. The guy who invented EZ Cheez has a special place in my heart.

If you don't have a dairy allergy and if you're not lactose intolerant dairy won't make you fat. Eating too much makes you fat.

Some paleo-diet authors will

Some paleo-diet authors will tell you that dairy is a bad source of calcium. It's not in a particularly available format in milk products, and cheese is so acidic that your body will leach calcium from your bones to balance your body's pH.

That said, I dearly love cheese.

Lots of green, leafy vegetables have a lot of calcium.

NickW said:
Jen there was a lot of other foods I couldn't eat too. Fish, shellfish, dairy, and a bunch of others. It really sucked. The food item I missed the most was dairy. I could give up any of the others and not miss it at all, but I love my cheeses. So, just posing a question here, where are we supposed to get our calcium from if we don't consume dairy? I guess I could go buy that processed orange juice that has calcium added to it... Or do we even need calcium like we've all been taught?

Some paleo-diet authors will

Some paleo-diet authors will tell you that dairy is a bad source of calcium. It's not in a particularly available format in milk products, and cheese is so acidic that your body will leach calcium from your bones to balance your body's pH.

That said, I dearly love cheese.

Lots of green, leafy vegetables have a lot of calcium.

NickW said:
Jen there was a lot of other foods I couldn't eat too. Fish, shellfish, dairy, and a bunch of others. It really sucked. The food item I missed the most was dairy. I could give up any of the others and not miss it at all, but I love my cheeses. So, just posing a question here, where are we supposed to get our calcium from if we don't consume dairy? I guess I could go buy that processed orange juice that has calcium added to it... Or do we even need calcium like we've all been taught?

Almond and Soy milk have

Almond and Soy milk have the same or more calcium as whole milk.

NickW wrote:Jen there was a

NickW said:

Nick,

The calcium thing is a myth -driven again by the dairy industry. We need calcium, but we can derive plenty of it from things other than milk. The US consumes the most calcium in the world and we also have the highest osteoperosis rates -go figure. I get my calcium levels checked once a year and they are ALWAYS fine and always mid-range. The only calcium I purposefully take comes from my multi-vitamin. Otherwise, here is a link to the highest calcium non-dairy products:

http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/dairyfreebasics/tp/CalciumFoods.htm

I eat a lot of sesame seeds and figs (see list). I know you HATE vegetables -like me! That green powdery stuff we eat probably has seaweeds/algaes of some sort in it and has calcium in it as well.

palouserider wrote:Jen, are

palouserider said:
Jen, are there any books or websites you would recommend on this topic?

Not off the top of my head. Most of what I have gleaned has come from bits and parts of all sorts of literature over many years. I rarely follow one "diet" with regard to eating, rather bits and parts of MANY things I read about that I think make sense. I don't pay a lot of attention to studies, I pay more attention to people who have tried it and had success with it. The next best thing to do, for me, is to experiment with it myself and see if it works.

Concerning the calcium, I

Concerning the calcium, I have eaten very high dairy for years and it wasn't even the raw milk dairy that I try to buy now and I've never taken calcium supplements. I was tested for osteoporosis recently because it runs in my family (Dad's side) and my bone density is like that of a 25 year-old. I also know that many minerals are far reduced even in organic grains and fruits and veggies because soils have not been replenished with some of these minerals enough (or at all). Most fertilizers only have 3 or 4 basic ingredients and in them. On the other hand minerals are sometimes not absorbed well when taken in the form of supplements. One example is magnesium, which many people have to supplement. Only some forms of it, magnesium citrate and magnesium glycinate are fairly well abosorbed, magnesium oxide is not.

I have talked with several farmers in our area who grow wheat, barley, garbanzos, peas and lentils as well as some alfalfa and understand that many can't easily switch to other crops. I also know that people who grow alternative wheat grains, like Emmer or Einkorn exist in our state, WA, but I don't know details, they may be much smaller operations. Most of the wheat that is grown where we live is grown to make into pasta, not bread. It is the bread variety (triticum aestiva) that seems to be of the greatest concern.

So much for keeping the wheat and dairy topics separate. I made that a lot harder now. ;)

MINERALS!  I won't even get

MINERALS! I won't even get started on those, save that for another thread. Lol. That has been my most recent obsession.

BarefootGburg wrote:I'm not

BarefootGburg said:
I'm not arguing with anything you say here, but can you imagine a species - other than humans - purposefully drinking milk from another species, and that other species allowing it? :)

Yes, it happens all the time. You will see a momma cat take in a baby rabbit, and she nurses it the same as she nurses her own. You'll see where a momma cow takes in a baby deer. Those are just a couple of examples.

I'll guess it was the

I'll guess it was the medication that made you have trippy dreams, and not giving up the dairy. Do this. Now that you are not on that medication (right?), give up dairy for a couple of weeks. If it happens again, I'll stand corrected.

Plenty of calcium in green

Plenty of calcium in green leafy vegetables. There is not reason to try to get calcium from milk and there is some evidence it may actually be detrimental to your bones to drink milk and eat cheese. BarefootGBurg nailed it.

I'm not supporting the documentary, just putting it out here for your consideration. It primarily deals with our consumption of animal proteins, vs. a plant based diet but has a section on dairy products that addresses some of the discussion here.

Forks Over Knives

You can stream in on Netflix. It's thought provoking, but I always treat documentaries with skepticism because someone paid for it, and they probably have some sort of interest in affecting your decision making....just like the dairy industry does.

Ok talon, gonna watch the

Ok talon, gonna watch the forks over knives. And you hit the nail on the head with the comment of how somebody always has a vested interest in documentaries, diets, studies, etc... This is why so many people are confused about what the hell to eat or how to excercise.

Which is why trying it

Which is why trying it yourself and see what results you get is the best way to find out if it really works. I love being my own guinea pig!!!

i don't do milk products and

i don't do milk products and i no longer miss them. to me it's simple. i'm not a baby and i'm not a baby cow. no need for milk. now chocolate on the other hand can be tricky. i like it but finding it without milk is bit challenging, that is when i want some. the last time i had a snickers i got all snotty and mucusy.

talonraid wrote:plenty of

talonraid said:
Plenty of calcium in green leafy vegetables. There is not reason to try to get calcium from milk and there is some evidence it may actually be detrimental to your bones to drink milk and eat cheese. BarefootGBurg nailed it.

I'm not supporting the documentary, just putting it out here for your consideration. It primarily deals with our consumption of animal proteins, vs. a plant based diet but has a section on dairy products that addresses some of the discussion here.

Forks Over Knives

You can stream in on Netflix. It's thought provoking, but I always treat documentaries with skepticism because someone paid for it, and they probably have some sort of interest in affecting your decision making....just like the dairy industry does.

Wow I'm proud of you Talon.

That was deep for Talon,

That was deep for Talon, wasn't it Abide? ;-)

migangelo wrote:i don't do

migangelo said:
i don't do milk products and i no longer miss them. to me it's simple. i'm not a baby and i'm not a baby cow. no need for milk. now chocolate on the other hand can be tricky. i like it but finding it without milk is bit challenging, that is when i want some. the last time i had a snickers i got all snotty and mucusy.

Yeah, chocolate could be a whole other thread. People don't realize that in order to gain the benefits of chocolate, you would need to eat 100% pure chocolate. Blech. Dairy does not bother me in baked products thank goodness -otherwise how could I eat all those twinkies? :D Otherwise, when I "slip some in" - I have a swollen throat for at least one day.

Abide wrote:Wow I'm proud of

Abide said:
Wow I'm proud of you Talon.

TJ said:
That was deep for Talon, wasn't it Abide?
wink.png

Here, let me fix that....I like boobies and beer.

Watched Forks over Knives

Watched Forks over Knives Talon. Wow, makes me really think about how I eat and what I can change... Or more I guess how much I can change...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test