Cycling thread

Anyone had any 2016 totals they'd like to share?

I didn't have a lot compared to most that cycle primarily (I primarily run then cycle more for fun on the off days or for trips). But I'm steadily increasing since I got into it 3 years ago. Here are my run and cycle totals the last few years.

2016stats-shaded.png

Also I picked up another bike a week ago!

I've got enough bikes now that I'm not really looking for bikes to ride, but since I have so many of Schwinns upper tiered 80's bikes I'm always on the lookout for another nicer or rare model. Came across an '88 Ontare, a very rare model indeed. In fact you won't even find it listed in the '88 catalog http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1988/LightWeight/FULL/1988_16.jpg you'll see it called the Avion, it was renamed last minute during production, apparently some kind of copyright issue or something with the name. The picture in the catalog interestingly shows the bike without a name badge at all http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1988/LightWeight/Avion.html it was their very first aluminum bike, and interestingly maintains a tange aero fork (chrome moly steel) which helps against the harshness aluminum is known for. For '88 it was the most expensive whole bike with MSRP of $1000 (Paramount and Prologue where higher, but shown separately since they were not sold as bikes but as frames to be built per spec of the buyer or bike shop). Even though the example I found was nearly in mint out of the box condition, I paid only a fraction that cost, though it wasn't one of my cheaper scores. It has the original tires but they are completely dry rotted. Other than tires I just need to put the cables and chain back on it the fellow removed to clean it up and grease it.

So this one is more for the collection that to ride, but I do plan on getting it out a few times once I get cables put on it and new tires. For now I'll just admire the color, love the "sunset red". They only made this model for '88 and in that color. In 89 the lineup was changed, they came out with I think 3 aluminum variants with lackluster 3 digit numbers for names (564, 764, 974) solid colors, and ugly exposed tig welds. The top model did switch to Shimano Ultegra groupset, but I am a bigger fan of the Suntour groupsets and this had the 7 speed Sprint group (second only to the Superbe Suntour groupset) with selectible ratchet indexed / friction shifting and a nice Rolls saddle and Grand Comp brakes. One of the interested but unfortunate aspects is this has no seatpost clamp but instead a quill seatpost that is notorious for cracking and this one has a small crack. Also I usually take off all the reflectors and spoke protector disk, etc, but this one being all original I might just leave it alone, at least they are all nice and clean. So enough of the history lesson, here are a few pics...

IMG_1813e1024.JPG

31243180296_6845b62b6c_b.jpg 30457926644_e368118938_b.jpg 31279433895_8f18153bac_b.jpg 30471576593_8b1ca54a8b_b.jpg 31135068882_6f63163312_b.jpg 31135195192_df5bbb0dfd_b.jpg

Reactions: Lorri and Bare Lee
I'm still catching up on this thread, but it looks like I might be the new barefoot cyclist on the block. I recently picked up a pair of Diamondback Comfort Pedals from Amazon and took my first barefoot ride on a local rail trail yesterday. I found it was very liberating both in temperature and comfort... since most bike shoes are far too tight, and I would often get numb toes on longer rides. I was able to move my foot around on the pedals to keep comfortable as needed. I have a Pro-Flex 856 full suspension mountain bike that I have converted for touring... so far by biggest modification is that I added a Thule rack on the back. I still carried a pair of Xero Shoes huaraches with me, just in case, but I never got them out all day. I managed to get caught in the rain (twice) and stopped at a different brewery during each rain spell. I am not sure about going barefoot on roads (yet), but when I journey on rail trails like this, I will probably continue going barefoot!

Howdy Mike, and welcome to barefoot cycling! Been a while since I visited this thread. I'm still cycling and almost always barefoot. No big century rides or touring last couple years, but still getting out there and enjoying riding barefoot whenever I can find time.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11