Cramps

Maybe this question isn't necessarily related to barefoot running, but, I believe, barefoot running may hold a solution, so here goes:

I sweat. A lot. And, in longer races, I tend to cramp, debilitatingly so, almost always in the calves. This has happened to me for many years. It did so again in yesterday's half-mary to the point that I had to stop and walk, stop and massage, and generally slow down at certain points. It happened when I ran shod, it happened when I ran barefoot, and it happened, as yesterday, in minshoes.

Knowing this tendency of mine, I thought I had hydrated properly for yesterday's race. I drank more during the race, even taking the offered unfamiliar sports drink. I wore compression sleeves on my calves, as I had during long training runs, to support the muscles (my calves are on the large side relative to a lot of other runners I see). I am not a big salt user as far as my food is concerned.

I have read lots of theories regarding why muscles cramp and what to do about this problem. When cramps struck yesterday, I tried to apply Rick Whitelaw's advice to me during the Carlsbad half-mary to relax the feet, which helped then but didn't so much this time -- but then again, I was wearing minshoes here and didn't have quite the "feel" for that technique.

So, here's my question: have any of you had a similar persistent problem w/ cramping, specifically in the calves, and, if so, did bf running form or technique help? If not, did you solve the problem with another approach, and, if so, what?

Are you a salty sweater? Do you see white dust or feel grainy around your face? Have you considered taking salt tablets before and/or during the race? You may be needing more salt, especially if you are a salty sweater. Maybe you should Ask the Docs too.

And can we move this thread to the Health forum?

Reactions: jjhenry
Okay...before my BF running days I dealt with a lot of calf cramps....I also sweat quite a bit and it feels like I just got out of the ocean once I stop sweating.
This being said....once I started BF running I had calf soreness but never cramping........until I started upping my mileage. I am almost always very hydrated and I started eating a banana almost every other day. SURPRISE! no more cramping....so for me it was an easy fix...who knows it may work for you. Either way it cant hurt to eat more bananas :D
PS: make sure you peel them from the "bottom" that way you don't mash the "top":)

Are you a salty sweater? Do you see white dust or feel grainy around your face? Have you considered taking salt tablets before and/or during the race? You may be needing more salt, especially if you are a salty sweater. Maybe you should Ask the Docs too.

And can we move this thread to the Health forum?

Yeah, salt tablets are about the only thing I haven't tried, so in prep for my next race, I'll have to incorporate that into my training plan.

And of course, move this thread to Health. I need to pay more attention to where I post things! ;)

Okay...before my BF running days I dealt with a lot of calf cramps....I also sweat quite a bit and it feels like I just got out of the ocean once I stop sweating.
This being said....once I started BF running I had calf soreness but never cramping........until I started upping my mileage. I am almost always very hydrated and I started eating a banana almost every other day. SURPRISE! no more cramping....so for me it was an easy fix...who knows it may work for you. Either way it cant hurt to eat more bananas :D
PS: make sure you peel them from the "bottom" that way you don't mash the "top":)

I have a banana in my daily green smoothie...but never knew there was a particular way to peel them. What's the idea behind peeling from the bottom?

I struggle with cramps. I was wrecked with them during my last marathon. Funny about sweating because I am not too sweaty. First place I would look Thom is balancing your electrolytes. I like Hammer Endurolytes, but there are many good products out there. I don't like sports drinks and they don't seem to give me enough salt. The only one I can somewhat tolerate is Hammer Heed. You are at a good half marathon level now, so it is time to experiment. Simulate some race situations on your long runs and find out what works. Prepare yourself for the heat. Not only for your electrolyte balance, but also see how your feet tolerate warmer conditions. Happy Training.

Waiting to hear on the banana peeling. Kind of like what end to peel first on a hard boiled egg?

No doubt the loss of sales, but do not sweat much, is determining when our muscles, you need salt, potassium, and possibly have some lack more, it is best that you make a consultation with a nutritionist.

I have a banana in my daily green smoothie...but never knew there was a particular way to peel them. What's the idea behind peeling from the bottom?
Ever watch a monkey peel a banana?? And trust me...they know bananas!! :happy:
1253988471wi1ntm.jpg

Monkey see monkey do ;)

This has got to be the root of your problem Thom!!

check for trigger points. they make things worse. always.

My calves are my weakness as well. But I dont have the cramping problem nearly as bad. Mine get tight, only occasinally cramping though. Mine bother me more afterwards or the next morning with cramps and knots and whatnot. Rolling them seems to help a little, but still takes several days to recover completely. Now if I am racing, sometimes they get to the point of being worn out - a few races by then end I couldnt even maintain a forefoot strike or cusion the landing by letting my heal down slowly, I just had no strength left and let my foot come down flat or even slightly on the heel. I've just never had strong calves, and for a runner they are pretty small and undefined.

inhibition will keep them tight, weak, and from working properly. seek out a good sports chiro, PT, masseuse, somebody who can asses you if your inclined. the body is a chain and one kink will make others happen. could be a problem in your hips or feet and it's hard to know which came first.

get "trigger point self therapy manual" by Clare Davies if you want to try to figure it out on your own. cheaper but could take you longer to figure it out.

Reactions: Hobbit
Just a quick chime in on this one, since I am a nutritionist. A while back I studied up on this, and I think its important to mention 2 things: 1) Science doesn't have it all figured out - the best we can tell is that cramps can be perpetuated by depletions of any one of a number of critical electrolytes, including Na, K, Mg, Ca, P, etc., although Na and K depeletion are probably the most common culprits (along with dehydration). Secondly, I always like to point out that bananas are not the only thing with K and many fruits and veggies have more K than bananas. As a general rule almost any kind of fruit and vegetable is pretty high in K, so if you looking to get electrolytes the natural way, focus on eating a variety of fruits and vegetables everyday. The biggest problems with nutrition in developed countries is too many calories and not enough fruits and veggies - plain and simple. If you are running and eating less than say 5 or 6 servings of combined F&V per day, you are putting yourself at risk for cramps. Hope this might shed some light :)

BBR

I struggle with cramps. I was wrecked with them during my last marathon. Funny about sweating because I am not too sweaty. First place I would look Thom is balancing your electrolytes. I like Hammer Endurolytes, but there are many good products out there. I don't like sports drinks and they don't seem to give me enough salt. The only one I can somewhat tolerate is Hammer Heed. You are at a good half marathon level now, so it is time to experiment. Simulate some race situations on your long runs and find out what works. Prepare yourself for the heat. Not only for your electrolyte balance, but also see how your feet tolerate warmer conditions. Happy Training.

Waiting to hear on the banana peeling. Kind of like what end to peel first on a hard boiled egg?

Same here

Cramps could also be a sign of lack of magnesium. Would be best to check it out with a doctor.

I concur

Just a quick chime in on this one, since I am a nutritionist. A while back I studied up on this, and I think its important to mention 2 things: 1) Science doesn't have it all figured out - the best we can tell is that cramps can be perpetuated by depletions of any one of a number of critical electrolytes, including Na, K, Mg, Ca, P, etc., although Na and K depeletion are probably the most common culprits (along with dehydration). Secondly, I always like to point out that bananas are not the only thing with K and many fruits and veggies have more K than bananas. As a general rule almost any kind of fruit and vegetable is pretty high in K, so if you looking to get electrolytes the natural way, focus on eating a variety of fruits and vegetables everyday. The biggest problems with nutrition in developed countries is too many calories and not enough fruits and veggies - plain and simple. If you are running and eating less than say 5 or 6 servings of combined F&V per day, you are putting yourself at risk for cramps. Hope this might shed some light :)

BBR

That's right!

BBR

Thanks for that. Being a vegan, with a serious green smoothie addiction, it's hard for me to imagine how I could get more fruits and veggies into my system. I'm focusing on my sodium intake, which, apart from that which occurs in my diet, has always been fairly low (just never got into the salt habit). And am amping up my overall liquid intake as well as adding a sports drink to the mix. This thread has been incredibly helpful, so thanks to everyone for contributing.

Have you ever tried coconut water? Way more natural source of electrolytes than sports drinks.

I have. In fact, I usually use it as a base for my smoothies. I don't much care for it by itself, so I wouldn't use it as liquid during a race. But you're right; have to figure out how to flavor it so I can use it for electrolyte replacement. That would solve two problems at once.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama