Copper Canyons Ultra Marathon 2011 By Patrick Sweeney, a.k.a. Bourbon Feet

bourbonfeet_coppercanyon2.jpg

Copper Canyons Ultra Marathon 2011By Patrick Sweeney, a.k.a. Bourbon FeetIt's a daunting task to feflect upon my trip to the Barancas. The magnitude of the experience has not set in (even though I have totally lagged in getting this post together). It was a trip where I gained many new friends, had lots of great experiences,
and
gave a little blood while I was at it.Lunatic" by Luna sandals(pretty cool, huh?)

I arrived in El Paso Just after midnight, after catching a cab (hotel shuttle ditched me). I was at my room within 20 minutes, where I was warmly greeted by Barefoot Luna Equus with elastic laces. They aremostlyfor casual and gym wear. When I train, I am barefoot, and when I race, I normally wear my Original Luna's with Leather straps. In my last Ultra, my Original Luna's held up great for about 95% of the race, but I could have used a little more grip. Just before leaving for Mexico, one of the Monkeys at Luna put together for me a special sandal, 2mm Equus leather top with 4mm Ledville tread on the bottom. I was told that Copper Canyon's course would be easier than Calico (my last race), so Iplanned on running in the new sandals with the added grip, butI brought my Originals with me just in case the equus leather wouldn't mold to my feet in time. (They are kind of like my security blanket.)

2/27
De la rosa
ir
Marzapan
total
a whooping 14 pesos.

stop3
guantanamera.")For dinner, mushroom and frenchfry taco's. They also served some special coffee that claimed it would raise one's libidoand eliminate erectiledysfunction. It was early in the trip, and I still felt pretty vigorous, so I decided to pass. (Maybe on the way back. lol)

2/28
rarijipari ball
Next Stop CreelMy kind of Mariachi
There was some cool art in the town square
Tierra Del Fuego" if it were in cards.On the road again.CanyoneroWe took a quick pit stop to take in the view.Paridiso Del OrsoEventually, we made it to Diego's hotel, alittle oasis in the middle of nowhere, where our Race Director absenthe
ir
minus the green fairy.3/01Kso Treks
ir
and Pat wore Treksports.
ir
Luna Sandal's switching out her laces.Rarajipari) during recess. The kids had two teams of 5 or 6 and were flicking a small wooden ball with their feet ona looped course maybe 500 yards long. We watched them do about 4 laps. It was really interesting how theywouldn'tkick the ball; instead they position the ball on top of their feet and flick the ball with topspin out in front towards anotherteammate.After the boys were done, out came the girlsdoinga similar race that looked equally fun. Each girl carried a small stick which she used to fling a small rope ring (about the size of a
ir
those little rings kids play with in the pool).Original Luna's (and pretty sure I would wear them during the race). I new this stretch would be difficult for me come race day, and this climb was more brutal than I hadenvisioned. If I wanted to run a fast race, I would have t
o seriously make up that time down on the fire trail, where my lighter sandals would give me an advantage over the traditional thick huaraches.Leadville sandals she was washing.3/05A day for restI woke up feeling about 60%. I really needed rest and thought a dip in the river would help. Shawn, Bookis, Bookis's iPhone, and I decided to go for a swim.Bob Marley Discography
ir

3/6
Race Day

I was up beforemy alarm and feltcompletely refreshed. My sore throat felt a little better, and the Luna sandals' best interest if she skipped the race in order to take pictures (she got some really awesome ones). And lastly, original Luna's. This meant I would sacrifice traction and speed on anything steep or technical both up or down. On the good side, my feet would be comfortable for a day of running, and the sandals are perfect for going fast on flats or moderate hills.
trekkingpole
ir
or stick.)
NUUN
ir
and a baggy full of dates.

The support was invigorating, rejuvenating my attitude and desire to race. I left town running at an accelerated pace. The next stretch was 6relativelyeasy miles that I needed to make up some time on. I turned on my MP3 player figuring it had enough batteries to last the last 28 miles of the race and began to rock out some reggae.
Gogol Bordello(my favorite band) was playing pretty loud from my speaker. All the workers at the station got a kick out of my Gypsy Punk
ir
music, and I left them running on the bridge like a kid on Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland.It was now time to start climbing. Almostimmediately,I took a fewawkwardsteps, really hurting my right foot. I gotfrustratedas my body would no longer run during the 3 mile hike upwards. I only ran a few steps and was passed by a lot of people including the eventual first and second place women. Grapefruits at the top?Nope not for me. I'm not the type who ever stays at the aid station for more than a minute. I think I maybe spent 10 seconds before I was hobbling back down the mountain. I still felt very uncomfortable trying to run and was starting to do the math in my head of how long it would take me to finish the race if I were to walk the final 18 to 20 miles, which I feared I may be relegated to do.About a mile down the hill, I passed a bunch of Gringos going up including Patt, Crystal, and Caballo Blanco, and by the time I got to the bottom, I was passed by first Patt and Crystal.I got back across the bridge at a snail's pace. By now, the sun was scorching. I decided to embrace the heat (reports from people's watches said it was over 100 degrees.)"Go Pat Go"(That's what my earsselectivelyhear.)I was running hard as I searched for the finish line. Where is it?A big crowd was standing in the street, and I didn't really know where to stop. Out of the blue, I spotted some dude with a clip board and no watch. I guess he was thefinishline? He wrote down my name but no time (kind of odd). My watch read something around 10:02 but myofficialtime was a few minutes later. Ted and Leah were both there to greet me. Ted was already showered and recovered 22 miles was all he felt his body needed and I think he made the rightdecision.Garmin StatsRavi's race reportAfter as few beers, I began to have flash backs of the morning. Check out theuncannysimilarities between Ravi's before and after race pose (totally coincidental).Congrats onfinishingyour first 50.Lollipop Tree together. Like theFlintstones,we were having a gay old time.

On the way back home, we stopped in that town without a name once again and stayed in the same hotel. We didn't arrive until pretty late and needed to find some food. After wandering a bit, we ended up at an Ice Cream / Nacho / corn Vendor. I ended up with a bowl of fruit and a cup of warm corn for dinner.
CIMG4610.JPG

Another night barely sleeping, and it was back on the road back to El Paso. The line at the border was pretty long, and we had a flight to catch.

We gotsearchedpretty good at the boarder and had to take all the luggage off the top of the van. We were a little concerned about not making our flight but we were fine.

It turns out Bookis, Leah, Ted, Patt ,and I were all on the same flight back toPhoenix,and I had the seat next to Patt.

A short 60 minute flight fromPhoenixand I was back to the City of Angels.
Toes+bent+down+ready+to+flick+my+foot.jpg
It was nice to be home, and the very next day, I was on the beach training for my firstRarajipari.
Tarahumara+ball.jpg
It's now been 2 weeks since the race. I have been a bit under the weather since my return. My ribs are still killing me but getting slightly better. I have ran everyday and most of my wounds are healing well with the occasional trickle of blood from a scab or two, lol. What a messI have become.My legs feel great, and my muscles feel strong.
(I don't think anyone has ever told me my muscles look strong.)
Scan10014.JPG
The first race I ever signed up for back in 2000.Today I ran in the LA Marathonand much like 2000 it poured rain, butI'm done typing for now. You will have to wait another week for that post.
CIMG4583.JPG
"Hasta La Vista."Bourbon

Bourbon Feet, thank you very much for this fascinating report on your trip. You did a great job communicating your experience. I am envious of the opportunity you had to participate. Best wishes to you in all of your future runs!

Thanks for taking the time for such an EPIC post. You painted a really great picture of the experience and have me dreaming of doing it someday. Seems like Mecca for BF'ers/minimalists. Thank you.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts