Cool relief

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi all,
    I met up with fellow barefooter David this morning for a run around the river in the city. A cool change had arrived overnight bringing us down from 42C to 25C but not before decimating a good portion of Kangaroo Island (Australia's 3 biggest island). I'd been for a walk in the evening and noticed the haze created by the smoke blowing from the south.
    Luckily some of the fires burning in the nearby hills didn't get any worse but the fires in Victoria are still out of control and the area burnt is 10 times greater than the fires in the Amazon rain forest.
    We did a 6km lap following the River Torrens from the weir just to the west of the city centre towards the zoo then around the sports fields before rejoining the river.
    There was a lot of tree debris that had fallen from the trees due to the heat on the pathway but we got through that without stepping on hard seeds or branches. There was a lot of runners on the circuit, pent up demand no doubt, from not being able to get out in scorching temperatures.
    We did a fast dash over the last 500m to see how much our lungs could take. It's a good feeling when you can wind up the speed and get more spring in your legs by bending at the knees more, overtaking our fellow shod runners who are kind of shocked.

Regards

Neil

c17, bfsailor and BF-Bulos like this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Nomad

I'm so depressed...that is the only word that fits...about what is happening in Australia and the rain forests. Be safe Neil. I pray and pray for you all. :( God, please bring relief.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    c17, bfsailor and BF-Bulos like this.
  3. Bfcraig

Bfcraig
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

I hear you Neal. The fires have been horrific. Im up in Brisbane but i have watching the devastation on TV. The only positive thing about it is that our Prime Minister has had to admit that climate change does exist.

Noodles and c17 like this.
  4. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Craig,
    Our PM may have been forced to admit it but there are still plenty of members of his party that are still hardcore deniers and they exert a firm grip of the party.
    Now that we are in the grips of the C-19 pandemic running may be the only sport you can do solo and keep your distance from others.
    I ventured out to get a haircut this morning and the cafes on Jetty Rd Brighton were doing a brisk business and not much social distancing.
    I went for a run from Brighton to Glenelg along the front and it was pretty busy, lots of runners and walkers. I had to duck and weave to keep way from people.
    This was one of my better runs and I think I may put it down to the spiky massage ball I was rolling around under my foot last night. My feet felt really springy on the run today.

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.