Convention idea for 2011

After the BRS World Record Run here in GR this weekend, the gears in my head are already churning to parlay this concept into something bigger. Here's my post from RW:

"I think it would be awesome to hold more of a convention-like event. I think the BRS will be big enough to pull some strings to make this happen next year. A geographically-central location would be important... Des Moines or Omaha is a pretty good idea. Grand Rapids could be good, but it's a bit far north for people driving to the event. I would also change the time of year... late June/early July would be good. We could have speakers, vendors, etc.

We could also try to organize two meetups... one on the East Coast and one on the West Coast. I would suggest NOT organizing any sort of convention around a race. Alternatively, we could hold our own.

Shelly and I were talking about holding a BFR gathering based around the Muskegon Seaway Run (5k and 15k) held near grand Rapids in late June of this year. It wouldn't be of the same scope as the convention idea, but it would be fun. Ken Bob is scheduled to be in town that day for a workshop, so that would add to the festivities."

Thoughts?

Anything to promote barefoot

Anything to promote barefoot running and the BRS is fine with me. Haley and I spoke about a yearly convention, and many of the items you mentioned were covered. I'll send you a follow up email to this thread.

I'll be looking forward to

I'll be looking forward to next year's convention. Selfishly, I'd like Des Moines...though do think that as a central location, it's a good prospect. Or Omaha, whichever :)

I like Omaha because it has a

I like Omaha because it has a Barefoot Runners Division, one of a few in the country and the original, first event to host one. I know the race director, and she would be really receptive to helping us and getting the word out. I've run the half there, and it is very barefoot friendly. Most of the course is on concrete. That's the way they do it in the midwest, I guess.

Sounds like a fabulous idea.

Sounds like a fabulous idea. I'm from So Cal so like the east coast/west coast idea but would try to come to whatever was decided if I had enough time to save up my pennies. lol

I think I could make it to

I think I could make it to Omaha in half a day's drive. Keep us posted.

I like the East Coast West

I like the East Coast West Coast Idea. I also like the idea of having our own race. It would be cool to have a race with only barefoot runners. It appears that exciting things will be happening this year for BRS

I LOVE that idea.  Our own

I LOVE that idea. Our own race where we compete only against each other with our own awards ceremony. People will have to be willing to travel, so we would need to make it really enticing, like not just the convention, meeting, but maybe Lieberman, Ken Bob, barefoot merchandise...ideas?

According to good old

According to good old GoogleMaps, Omaha is 1,540 kms. from where I live. Says it would take me 16 hours, 12 minutes to drive there.

That's doable.

Make me want to go to Omaha, people!

Alan

How fast do you run, Alan?

How fast do you run, Alan?

Not fast enough.Though I

Not fast enough.

Though I must confess, the idea did occur to me. Just for a microsecond, but it was there, in all its insane glory.

Alan

I was just asking because if

I was just asking because if you ran fast enough, you could place or even win at Omaha.

In the Barefoot Runners

In the Barefoot Runners Division, that is! Ha!

All the cool people will be

All the cool people will be going to Vancouver next year.

I'm going just to crash the party. Can't pass up a chance to drink and run with Kitty the Canuck

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts