Confessions of a Barefoot Runner

OK. So I just thought I would come clean... I'm probably the only barefoot runner who's never read Born to Run. Am I the only one?

Ha!  You really should read

Ha! You really should read it. It is eye-opening and quite entertaining to say the least. I have the book, but I also downloaded it from Barnes & Noble online.

Once I start it, I can't put

Once I start it, I can't put it down. You will enjoy it (I think). :) Im listening to it on CD from my library.

I haven't either. Its on the

I haven't either. Its on the list of books I should read at some point but there's still a bunch ahead of it.

I can't wait for Ken Bob's

I can't wait for Ken Bob's book to come out.

You guys know they are supposed to be working on the movie versions of BTR next year? If that hits the big screen, watch out!

I haven't read it either.

I haven't read it either.

I haven't read it either.  I

I haven't read it either. I have watched several McDougall lectures on YouTube and such. Since I now know the story and the message, I have put the book a little lower on my list. I am definitely a member of the "So many books, so little time" club.

But, I have never heard anyone say that they didn't enjoy the book--regardless of their views on running or running barefoot.

Cheers

Paleo

Born to Run is about the joy

Born to Run is about the joy of running and is a great read.

I, too, am really looking forward to Ken Bob's book. It's been many, many years in the making, and if it's even 1/2 as good as what he's written online, it will be a fantastic book.

Born to Run isn't exactly a

Born to Run isn't exactly a "barefoot running" book, there's not too much about running barefoot, it's mostly minimalist with VFF and the natives rubber sandels. But, it is a decent read for any runner.

barefoot ramzev wrote:Born to

barefoot ramzev said:
Born to Run isn't exactly a "barefoot running" book, there's not too much about running barefoot, it's mostly minimalist with VFF and the natives rubber sandels. But, it is a decent read for any runner.
I agree. I'm not sure how it became the "barefoot running" book. McDougall didn't actually start running barefoot until a few months after the book was published. Since then, he's become a great proponent of barefoot running.

I've read it, but it just

I've read it, but it just mostly made me want to do ultras! :) I'm nowhere near ready for that, but maybe one day...

Yeah, it really has nothing

Yeah, it really has nothing to do with barefooting at all. Lots of minimal shoe and forefoot landing talk though. And it definitely inspired me to want to run ultra's. A good read for any runner, but I'm not really sure how it became associated with barefoot running so much. I need to get my hands on some actual barefoot books.

Actually, Barefoot Ted sums

Actually, Barefoot Ted sums up the relationship between the book Born to Run and running barefoot best here in his one and only post at the BRS (and I agree with him):

Thu, 10/07/2010 - 10:13pm

Barefoot Ted

Nyal writes: (Sorry to hash this up again, Nyal. I know you were "touched" by his reply. -TJ)
The second is in connection to Barefoot Ted and here running barefoot is presented as a eccentric practice. Look at this nut, Barefoot Ted who never shuts up, wears funny clothes to be odd and runs barefoot. Barefoot is here presented as non-conformist for the sake of non-conformity. I can't help think of the underground Beat art scene of the 50s in this context. Ted finishes the race with bloody and torn feet, McDougall presenting him hiding the injuries with tape and bandages in a furtive way.
Hmmm. Not sure if I agree.
Firstly, my goal was to make barefoot and minimalist running become part of the American mainstream dialogue. I knew this would require a product. As you may know, I was the first to run in the Vibram FiveFingers, the original classics...which were not ideal for the Copper Canyon Ultra Marathon. But to say I was hiding anything is ABSURD and totally incorrect. Bad you.
See photo of my feet here:
http://bit.ly/c6zG1n
To really understand the method to my madness, please read my blog article titled "Paradigm Shifting Trojan Horses - Vibram Five Fingers" here:
http://barefootted.com/2009/10/paradigm-shifting-trojan-horses-vffs.html
Being a barefoot runner was NON-CONFORMIST and TOTALLY NECESSARY for me to be able to run. I am not non-conformist for the sake of non-conformity. Absurd.
My running philosophy is eminently rational and attracts people who think rationally. Be sure to read my blog article titled "So, you wanna start running barefoot?":
http://www.barefootted.com/index.php?q=/2010/04/so-you-wanna-start-running-barefoot.html
I think people are drawn to the barefooting aspects covered in the book because they are presented with an argument that suggests humans are not broken by default...an argument that uses evolutionary biology to make a case for running as a fundamental human capacity. I agree. A fundamental running capacity that was certainly gained without modern running shoes. The underlying logic is clear for most readers...that's why they think its about barefoot running...because if you follow the logic...you get to barefoot running.
I also created the Minimalist Runner Google Group and have played a roll in presenting barefoot running not as an eccentric thing to do for the sake of being eccentric, but rather as a thing to do because it makes perfect sense when you examine the data. But also not as the only way. Obviously lots of folks run with shoes just fine. I was not one of them. So, after I found an answer that seemed so eccentric 7 years ago, I felt compelled to make sure it became part of the palette of choices for every runner.
Since 2006, I have returned to the Copper Canyon two more times, running in my own huaraches in 2007. Also, I started a sandal company called Luna Sandals that is now making sandals that others are using to win races, see a great race report here:
http://bourbonfeet.blogspot.com/
Just wanted to clear that up
Barefoot Ted aka El Mono
http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/forum-topic/born-run-h#comment-13841

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7