Concurrent Strength Training & Running 2015: Eight-Week Workout Cycle II

I've been thinking a bit more about what type of press I should use for the assistance lift on Monday and I think I might add in a heavy push press? This seems to be a little more like a cheat curl than a press and I'm hoping it might strengthen my sticking point at my forehead level? It'll also allow me to add some decent weight to the press. I might also do a more full body single arm press with the landmine for a little rotational work too. I might do some pull overs too, although its a difficult lift for me to load?

I like doing inverted rows for my warm-up every workout. Its a great primer for the bench and deadlift. Not sure about loading it though?

I've been thinking a bit more about what type of press I should use for the assistance lift on Monday and I think I might add in a heavy push press? This seems to be a little more like a cheat curl than a press and I'm hoping it might strengthen my sticking point at my forehead level? It'll also allow me to add some decent weight to the press. I might also do a more full body single arm press with the landmine for a little rotational work too. I might do some pull overs too, although its a difficult lift for me to load?

I like doing inverted rows for my warm-up every workout. Its a great primer for the bench and deadlift. Not sure about loading it though?
I really like the idea of the push press. If I had a higher ceiling, I would definitely do them. I think it's beneficial to overload some lifts and make them more of a full-body exercise. Great for overall strength development I would think, and the push press probably better mimics an explosive athletic movement.

Seems we're both getting away from a stricter interpretation of the six-lifts, ten-rep approach, and that's a good thing. The original blueprint is still a great foundation to build on, I think. Every rep/set/exercise selection should be based on it, as a sort of extension of the underlying logic. If that makes sense.

I like doing pullovers best with an EZbar, seems to put the least stress on my elbows and shoulders. In the past, I've also done them with a dumbbell. With a straight bar, they might be tricky. Depending on your bench height, you might have to raise it to get a full stretch.

I still suck at inverted rows, but I think of all the row variations, they may be best suited to a performance approach. Not sure about loading. I find all the rows hard to do with good form less than five reps. The upper body pulls seem best in the 5-to-8/10-rep range. Eventually I want to get the pullups up to speed as a performance lift too, but I think it's a little too much for me right now to work seriously on those, so I'm mostly focusing on getting the squat and press strong, as detailed in my latest log entry.

I really like the idea of the push press. If I had a higher ceiling, I would definitely do them. I think it's beneficial to overload some lifts and make them more of a full-body exercise. Great for overall strength development I would think, and the push press probably better mimics an explosive athletic movement.

Seems we're both getting away from a stricter interpretation of the six-lifts, ten-rep approach, and that's a good thing. The original blueprint is still a great foundation to build on, I think. Every rep/set/exercise selection should be based on it, as a sort of extension of the underlying logic. If that makes sense.

I like doing pullovers best with an EZbar, seems to put the least stress on my elbows and shoulders. In the past, I've also done them with a dumbbell. With a straight bar, they might be tricky. Depending on your bench height, you might have to raise it to get a full stretch.

I still suck at inverted rows, but I think of all the row variations, they may be best suited to a performance approach. Not sure about loading. I find all the rows hard to do with good form less than five reps. The upper body pulls seem best in the 5-to-8/10-rep range. Eventually I want to get the pullups up to speed as a performance lift too, but I think it's a little too much for me right now to work seriously on those, so I'm mostly focusing on getting the squat and press strong, as detailed in my latest log entry.

Cool, I was thinking that push pressing with 80kgs on the bar might add to the press from the stabilization and confidence standpoint as well. The push press also seems to mimic the running motion the best. So yeah athletic movement is a good description.
May be we should add that in:

1. DL
2. Squat
3. Bench
4. Press
5. Horizontal row
6. Vertical Row
7A. Carry
7B. Athletic lift
7C. Rotational lift

*funny I don't have ab work in here. Is it necessary? Or is the rotational item?

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. I think my mindset now is still holding reasonably true to the 6+1 movements, I am just trying to add in some variation to the lifts, but really trying to stick with compound lifts in the same general framework. I do still absolutely think the 6 main movements plus farmers should be at minimum attempted each week though. Plus like you said the back work just reacts better to higher rep ranges. Similar to the DL doing to the opposite. I think its important to vary these from the 10 rep concept to get the maximum effect. Is it necessary though? Probably not. You'll probably get to the same place either route.

Sorry about the frustrations with rows. It'll come eventually. Also remember rows + running are such weight dependent exercises and sometimes adjusting expectations is better for them.

Cool, I was thinking that push pressing with 80kgs on the bar might add to the press from the stabilization and confidence standpoint as well. The push press also seems to mimic the running motion the best. So yeah athletic movement is a good description.
May be we should add that in:

1. DL
2. Squat
3. Bench
4. Press
5. Horizontal row
6. Vertical Row
7A. Carry
7B. Athletic lift
7C. Rotational lift

*funny I don't have ab work in here. Is it necessary? Or is the rotational item?

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. I think my mindset now is still holding reasonably true to the 6+1 movements, I am just trying to add in some variation to the lifts, but really trying to stick with compound lifts in the same general framework. I do still absolutely think the 6 main movements plus farmers should be at minimum attempted each week though. Plus like you said the back work just reacts better to higher rep ranges. Similar to the DL doing to the opposite. I think its important to vary these from the 10 rep concept to get the maximum effect. Is it necessary though? Probably not. You'll probably get to the same place either route.

Sorry about the frustrations with rows. It'll come eventually. Also remember rows + running are such weight dependent exercises and sometimes adjusting expectations is better for them.
Yah, perhaps instead of "athletic" lift, we could say "plyometric" or "explosive" or "dynamic" and include things like the power clean, oly lifts, box jumps, and so on.

For rotational lift, I think it's a good idea, and at one point around last August I tried Russian Twists with the addition of the 'lawnmower" and "golf swing" cable pulls for each of my three weekly workouts. Also, the cheating style of 1-DB Rows comes close to a rotational lift.

I agree that the carries are essential too, it's just that they don't fit in well with the six force/direction pairing concept, so labeling these other lifts as 7A, 7B, and 7C, or something that similarly sets the last three lifts off from the first six, is probably a good idea.

I don't know about ab work. When I do the squats with the belt, my abs are sore the next day, then you add in the press and deadlift, and the abs are probably getting in plenty of work, but I do have three anterior chain exercises listed in my latest chart anyway. I'm sure if I could melt away my belly flab, I would see six-pack underneath. Still, I like the hanging knee tuck and few other things. Mimicking a knee strike to the head, with ankle weights or unweighted, is also a great ab exercise plus it's rotational.

Yah, I think the ten-rep concept could perhaps be interpreted as a minimum. So on all six lifts, or their variations, try to get in a minimum of ten reps, then adjust according to goals or weaknesses. With my current plan, I'm making a push on the squats and press, so I'm often going to go over 10 reps on those, but it would probably behoove me to do at least 10 reps on the other lifts too. As I think I mentioned, the other day I was feeling particularly pumped up about my recent workouts, how intense they've become and how sore I am the next day, and the relatively fast rate of progress, and I started getting ambitions about something like a 200lbs/two-plate/BW Overhead Press. Using the 2:3:4:5 ratios, a sort of iron version of the Golden Ratio (http://io9.com/5985588/15-uncanny-examples-of-the-golden-ratio-in-nature), that puts my squat at 400 pounds, and my deadlift at 500. Probably impossible, but I like the idea of driving everything with those two lifts. Simplifies things. Add in Deadlifts at at least a 1:1 ratio to the Squats, and you have a pretty strong back and set of legs.

So the latest greatest plan is to push the OH Press, try to get the Squat up to a 2:1 ratio with that, and let everything else follow according the Iron Ratio of 2:3:4:5. It should always be easy to get my bench press to correspond to 150% of my Press, and my Deadlift to correspond to at least 125% of my squat. It may seem silly to get so caught up in these ratios, but I think it's a good way to regulate energy expenditure for each workout, in terms of exercise selection and ordering, and set and rep counts.

Anyway, yeah, rows and pullups are bodyweight dependent, so just have to be patient. Someone in the comments section of the recent T-Nation article on supinated rows stated that rows are more of a "pump and grind" exercise than a "pull and load" one. I take that to mean high rep versus low rep, or volume versus intensity, so I may give barbell bentover rows another try but high rep to save my lower back from undue stress. On Monday 125 felt OK, but 145 felt too heavy. For the inverted rows, I'm thinking I might do them from the knee up for a while until I get the form and plank stability better, then slowly move the bench down closer to my feet until I can do a nice parallel row fullbody.

Anyway, going to try some more fartleks later today. If my big toe is still tender, I may have to try biking for a while. But I really don't enjoy biking in the city very much. I guess early in the morning there won't be too many pedestrians and runners on the river road bike paths.

Hey, apparently there's some terminological confusion here. Another exercise is commonly call the Russian Twist:

Although there's other names for that one too:

In any case, maybe we should call it a Landmine Twist?

I think I used to do this actually, and it seems to be the most descriptively adequate.

Some have criticized the former:
http://www.mensfitness.com/training/10-practically-useless-exercises/slide/7

Maybe this critique applies to the latter as well?

I'm loathe to believe a mens fitness article so here are a couple more:

http://bretcontreras.com/topic-of-the-week-spinal-rotation-exercises/
http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/1107.cfm?sd=51
https://experiencelife.com/article/the-best-exercises-youre-not-doing/

Seems like the jury is still out?

This video around the 1:30 marks talks about how I do the landmine with some hip rotation. I think I'll probably keep doing the land mine twists like this, seems to make sense.
Ha, sorry about that. That was forwarded to me by my older brother. I ended my email subscription a long time ago when I realized those kinds of sites are built on continually confusing the consumer with contradictory information, creating a dependence and appetite for endless regurgitated articles. I guess this helps sells ads.

Hay, you're showing Sid-like research perseverance!

According to the Nick video, the landmine press is OK as long as the hips rotate along with the thoracic spine, which is how I do them, so I guess I'm OK. With a wide-arc motion, I bring the bar down almost to my knee and face the side.

Anyway, it's good to be aware of the reasons why some folks think it's bad for you. I've never had any trouble with the landmine twist and it gives me a good pump in the upper back close to the shoulders. It's probably best done lower weight in the 8-10 rep range.

Ha couldn't resist with the name I see!

edit: and then BA knocks out 101... sigh.
"Concurrent" has a sort of irresistible crunchiness to it.

BA is a pullup machine. Very envious. I'm a good year or two away from that ability.

Hey your avatar gives reasons for doing the bench press powerlifting style:
Still too unnatural looking for me, and I think for strength development a more conventional bench press is probably best, but maybe at some point I should learn this style so I can see how my PR ratios compare to powerlifters' ratios?

Looking forward to today's Intensity workout.

Friday - 03.13
WU - 50 jump rope, 10 Swings 32kg, 2 x 8 inverted Rows, 2 x 8 Ab Rollouts
Power Cleans - 6 x 2 @ 70 kgs
Press - 2 x 5/3/2 @ 57.5/60/65 kgs
Pull Ups - 6 x 3 @ 5kgs
Push Press - 3 x 8 @ 60kgs

Bike Commute - 35k @ 80 min
Lunch Yoga

F' me that workout was a kick in the balls. Not sure why, written down it doesn't seem like much? Got a good shoulder pump from the push presses. I think I will keep this as my Friday workout and Monday do this:
Heavy Bench
Heavy Rows
CGBP
Curls
Famers
Landmine twists

I have a little soreness in my left elbow, gonna monitor that. Maybe this is too much push and pulling?
Given that workout, I would think it could be a number of things. If you're using too much arm in your power cleans, for example, or the rows and pullups together, or the AB Rollouts. Looks like a great workout in any case.

I have to say, lifting is becoming pretty obsessive for me. I want those squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press numbers.

The good news is that the obsessiveness for new information is dying down, as I think I've found what works for me. I couldn't even skim that Bret Contreras article. Just not interested.

Yeah my form is probably horrendous with the power cleans, I cut it to 2 reps and added some weight to get a better feel for it. It'll be a work in progress for a while I guess. My traps are sore right now which is probably also related to that.

Ha you mean the 500-400-300-200? That would be pretty impressive. I like that guy and he does admit the purpose of that style bench. Kind of refreshing.

I think I'll stick with the lighter weight landmines, what weight are you doing now with them?

Still thinking about doing a kind of land mine push press, like half of what this chick is doing.

Just browsed through some youtube videos there are some amazingly terrible ones out there. Probably better to stay away like you are doing. Yeah skip that contreas article, its pretty much worthless details, with a million silly variations of exercises. How the hell do these guys even get a workout complete following their own advice?

edit: and then BA knocks out 101... sigh.

not actually as amazing as it sounds. i'm not out there deadlifting 350lbs or anything like, uh, some people....

you just need to set up a bar in your "office" doorway and when you pass through... but, clearly my training style is not optimal for bodybuilding. both the measuring tape and the wife test indicate that nothing is getting bigger, just less squishy or something.

anyways, i think it goes back to that balance thing. if i were "balanced", based on the weighted pullups, i should be able to do like a 335 deadlift and 268 bench or something ridiculous. since there's one thing that i'm seemingly decent at, i can't resist (and all those movies where the producer is on the hero/ine's side who dangles by his/her arms from a great height and then recovers after an impossibly long time don't help). so, i need to bring everything else up (particularly squats and bench press).

in absolute terms, i think my weighted pullup comes out to be fairly similar to an unweighted one for you more genetically gifted fellows, so maybe we can declare some hope for equivalence that maybe my bench and squats can one day be like you guys and that you guys's pullups will also fall into line as well. then something good will happen in the world or something.

Yeah my form is probably horrendous with the power cleans, I cut it to 2 reps and added some weight to get a better feel for it. It'll be a work in progress for a while I guess. My traps are sore right now which is probably also related to that.

Ha you mean the 500-400-300-200? That would be pretty impressive. I like that guy and he does admit the purpose of that style bench. Kind of refreshing.

I think I'll stick with the lighter weight landmines, what weight are you doing now with them?

Still thinking about doing a kind of land mine push press, like half of what this chick is doing.

Just browsed through some youtube videos there are some amazingly terrible ones out there. Probably better to stay away like you are doing. Yeah skip that contreas article, its pretty much worthless details, with a million silly variations of exercises. How the hell do these guys even get a workout complete following their own advice?
My understanding is that the power clean is much more of a leg and hip lift than the way most of us perform it. I think the load has to be heavy enough that you don't cheat with your arms, but not so heavy that can't learn it with good, smooth form. I waver as to whether I should do them, and they have bothered my shoulders when I've tried them recently, presumably because my technique is bad, but I'm kind of thinking I should stick to a simple 'get strong' phase for a year or too, to take advantage of my diminishing ability to pack on mass, and then maintain those strength gains while working more on conditioning with things like power cleans. Of course, Starr/Rippetoe think you should do power cleans right from the start, but Starr at least was writing his original 5x5 strength training program for football players, who need that explosive power. I might have to dedicate an extra 30 minutes to my workouts for a week or two to iron out all these details, and try to figure out how I really feel about some of the options outside of the six main lifts. Actually I need to figure out the rows too.

Anyway, yeah, I think Rip and/or others say that Power Cleans are best done three reps or less. Anymore than that, and the form invariably degrades, and you look like a Crossfit fool.

Yep, 500/400/300/200. I have no idea if that's even possible, given my genetics and age, but it's good motivation, and it organizes the logic of my training real well to think in those terms, kind of like how signing up for a race organizes one's running routine. My presses are only fifty pounds off, but my squat PR is 125 pounds off, and my deadlift PR 145. Still, when you consider I've only been taking the squat, deadlift, and overhead press seriously for less than a year, and have made rapid progress whenever I've been able to train consistently, it seems like it might be in the realm of possibilities. Plus I'm not expending energy anywhere else like you. For cardio training, I'm pretty sure I'm going to max out in the 15-to-25-mile-per-week range once my running is back up to speed.

I think while I wait for this toe to heal up 100%, I might start running hills exclusively, to build up my aerobic capacity while minimizing the pounding on the feet. For lifting, I'm just going to keep emphasizing the squat and overhead press for as long as I'm making steady progress. If I can add 10 pounds every cycle to the squat, and five pounds to the overhead press, then that's about 10-12 cycles to reach my goals, or two years or less. In any case, focusing on those two lifts above all else really simplifies things and introduces a lot of clarity. And I'm really liking the weekly wave routine. Not only is it probably good to have that set/rep variety for overall strength development, but it keeps the workouts somewhat fresh too.

Yah, I like Alan Thrall's videos a lot. He shares the same no-nonsense approach we have, and he looks like your avatar, another plus. Take a look at his "supplement stack" video when you have a break, it's good for a chuckle. He's part of the strong man scene too, which reminded me of my brief exchange with the guy who sold me the rubber grip plates. I think the strongman scene might be the most appealing of the four meathead sports--Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding, and strongman. Bodybuilding is the least appealing, obviously, as it's basically a beauty contest for hyper-vain men (although I appreciate the discipline and sacrifice their training involves), Olympic weightlifting is too hard, and powerlifting is too ridiculous with the gear and limited ROMs. That said, I have adopted something of a powerlifting approach with my emphasis on just getting strong at the big compounds lifts, and it would be awesome to be able to perform the two Olympic competition lifts with some proficiency. Have to wait for a higher ceiling for the latter though.

I haven't done the landmine twist for a while, but I used to do them 100 pounds for a small arc, and 75 pounds for a wider arc. Given our recent discussion, I'll probably go with a wider arc next time I try them.

Yah, the landmine press looks like a good variation, in addition to the dumbbell presses, for the OH Press. A one-arm press of some kind is probably a good lift to get good at. My shoulders have felt even better now with this recent focus on the press.

Yah, Bret kind of annoys me, and I think it did take him years and years to pull 600, so you're right, he's probably too distracted. I still get his weekly newsletter though, and he seems to mean well. He's a firm believer in the "studies" school of fitness, and measuring muscle activation blah blah and exploiting every fricking joint angle conceivable, not to mention his whole "glute guy" schtick, whereas I'm more of an old school, tried-n-true sort of guy, like Starr and his disciples. Whenever I'm tempted to add variety for variety's sake, I re-read some Rippetoe and he reminds me that until you've gotten past intermediate level on the basic lifts, you're just needlessly wasting valuable time and energy on the rinky-dinky stuff. Even if you're a bodybuilder, you need to add mass first before you can sculpt with all the isolation exercises. The logic is simple: the prime movers force the secondary and supporting and stabilizer muscles to keep up with their development, and the best way to develop the prime movers is with the basic, compound barbell lifts, to which you can progressively add weight for years. Seriously, I could almost see just doing squats and presses for a couple of months and nothing else.

I'm almost coming to the conclusion that squats and presses should be done at a 2:1 ratio, in terms of volume, to the deadlift and bench, because the former are much more balanced lifts, which helps prep the body for the more unbalanced deadlift (posterior dominant--not necessarily a bad thing), and bench press (anterior dominant). I wonder if pullups enjoy the same (hypothetical) relationship to rows?

If so, this might suggest ordering the three balanced lifts before the unbalanced lifts, in a fullbody workout. Either

Squat
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Bench Press
Pullup
Row

Or

Squat
Overhead Press
Pullup
Deadlift
Bench Press
Row

Or something similar

Here's Bill Starr advocating for the Overhead Press:
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/in-defense-of-the-overhead-press/
Here's another article on old-school pressing:
http://oldschooltrainer.com/increasing-your-press/
Damn, I wish I could clean the bar before pressing.

Here's the pullover with an EZBar (about halfway through):

Here's the pullover with an EZBar (about halfway through):

I think I should be able to do these using my kettlebell. Its 70lbs so it should be pretty doable.

So I read an interesting article from Wendler about cues for the big lifts. And although the article wasn't that great he made an interesting point:

"Where do I stand? Well, a couple of months ago, I got wrapped up in the small aspects of lifting. I reexamined all my lifts and my technique. This was a good thing as I had to be honest with myself and do some self-analysis.
While sorting through all my lifts, the pros and the cons, I came back to the place I was when I first began training. The term "full circle" is overused in the training world but this is the best way to describe it. And if you stay in the game long enough, you end up coming full circle many, many times."

Specifically about the sorting through all my lifts and the pro's and cons. Figured it might be a good exercise to do before I add in and take out certain lifts and how they relate to running or biking and my lifting goals.

edit: https://www.t-nation.com/training/strong-fast-and-brutal

Yeah I think if you are focusing on the press you should definitely include it before the bench, however I don't think that's necessarily true about them being more or less dominant. My opinion is your daily focus lifts should come first. The daily reps seem better allocated to be 2 squat/bench to 1 DL/press from my experience, or my capabilities. It's really difficult for me to get more than 1 or 2 reps once I am upwards of 90% on either of the DL/Press. But once again that's me you might be completely different. Since your max is 155 on the press see how many reps and sets you can do of 140 for example.

Monday - 03.16
Jack shit warmup
Bench 2 x 5/3/2 @ 95/105/115kgs
Row 5 x 5 @ 50/55/60/65/70kgs

Bike Commute - 35k @ 80 min
Lunch Yoga

Slow moving day today. Didn't have enough time to get to the accessory lifts so I pushed the bench and rows a bit. I was thinking yesterday I didn't fully explain why I am pushing so much upper work. Mainly my thought for the next couple cycles was to focus a little more on horizontal push-pulls to assist in my longer MTB rides. I figure building up a little strength endurance should help with the grind from the long trail rides.
Nice job on the bench weights!

Are you doing the rows Pendlay style?

Your logic makes sense. I've been trying to get back into running for so long now that I haven't had to think too much about how st fits in with it, but once I'm actually running consistently again, I may have to consider things a bit more like you do. One thing, I really like how deadlifts and rows make it easy to maintain a good posture while running.

I was going to raise my squat weight 10 pounds this week, then I ran a bit on Sunday, and really got the jones to try to get the running going this week one more time before giving up and switching to cycling until my left big toe is fully healed. So I decided to dial back the squats to a five-pound increase. Plus, as I wrote in the log, I'm becoming a big believer in the small, steady approach to progressive overload. Great for injury prevention.

I think I should be able to do these using my kettlebell. Its 70lbs so it should be pretty doable.

So I read an interesting article from Wendler about cues for the big lifts. And although the article wasn't that great he made an interesting point:

"Where do I stand? Well, a couple of months ago, I got wrapped up in the small aspects of lifting. I reexamined all my lifts and my technique. This was a good thing as I had to be honest with myself and do some self-analysis.
While sorting through all my lifts, the pros and the cons, I came back to the place I was when I first began training. The term "full circle" is overused in the training world but this is the best way to describe it. And if you stay in the game long enough, you end up coming full circle many, many times."

Specifically about the sorting through all my lifts and the pro's and cons. Figured it might be a good exercise to do before I add in and take out certain lifts and how they relate to running or biking and my lifting goals.

edit: https://www.t-nation.com/training/strong-fast-and-brutal
Yah, I think when I last did pullovers I was doing them between 65 and 85, so 70lbs should work fine for you, at somewhat higher reps, which is probably a better way to do them anyway, since the joint angles are a bit stressful.

Very timely article. It was about a year ago that began my descent into minimalism, and letting go of all the rinky dink bodybuilder exercises that I did out of a feeling of obligation. The came a period of trying to figure out what sort of minimalism I wanted to. It's starting to feel like I've come "full circle" now.

There's always going to be a phase where it's good to focus on technique and overanalyze the hell out of everything, then slowly build everything back up to the mindless state again. I'm real happy about the time I spent getting my squat right, my bench press technique honed to be less stressful on my shoulder, and working on variations of the press until I figured out the best solution to my low-ceiling problem. Now I'm back to the bench press trying to figure out if I want to incorporate some powerflifting leg drive or not. I'm also glad I didn't give up on the bb rows, because last Friday I think I found a tweak that will relieve the strain I often feel in my lower back. The tweak is simply pausing a little longer during the deload phase on the floor. Finally, for the last 6-9 months I've been thinking long hard about set and rep protocols, and experimenting with splits and fullbody routines. I think this has been beneficial as well, as I seem to be making faster progress now, while at the same time enjoying a little more variety to my workouts. I'm pretty happy with everything now, but will of course continue tweaking things as feedback accumulates. The one tweak I can foresee at some point is going from a six-lift, fullbody routine to a three-lift, AB-split, fullbody routine, with one lower body and one upper body push and pull on the A day, and the others on the B day.

What sorts of tweaks are you thinking of?

Yeah I think if you are focusing on the press you should definitely include it before the bench, however I don't think that's necessarily true about them being more or less dominant. My opinion is your daily focus lifts should come first. The daily reps seem better allocated to be 2 squat/bench to 1 DL/press from my experience, or my capabilities. It's really difficult for me to get more than 1 or 2 reps once I am upwards of 90% on either of the DL/Press. But once again that's me you might be completely different. Since your max is 155 on the press see how many reps and sets you can do of 140 for example.
Well, it's just a hypothesis based on my limited reading and experienc, but it does seem like both the bench press and deadlift have greater potential for overuse or joint stress injuries. I attribute that, in part, to them being 'unbalanced', but also in part to the fact that they involve greater weight than their 'balanced' counterparts, the press and squat, respectively. It's for these two reasons that I'm also hypothesizing that the bench and deadlift can/should be done with less volume. It's hard to say right now because my squat and press are my weakest lifts, so they need to be done with greater volume anyway. Only once everything aligns with the Iron Ratio will I be able to get a better sense if I should continue to do the squat and press with greater volume or not. It would be nice to do everything equally and be able to progress evenly once the Iron Ratio has been obtained.

Nice job on the bench weights!

Are you doing the rows Pendlay style?

Your logic makes sense. I've been trying to get back into running for so long now that I haven't had to think too much about how st fits in with it, but once I'm actually running consistently again, I may have to consider things a bit more like you do. One thing, I really like how deadlifts and rows make it easy to maintain a good posture while running.

Thanks, like you the bench comes a little easier to me than my other lifts. I was also thinking maybe pushing my bench will help strengthen my press, kind of the reverse order as what you are thinking. You know how rip argues that a stronger squat will help with he the DL weight ha. It felt good to push a bit too. I also like your idea about repping out with 225 while your press is building. I think that is an excellent idea, I really hope to hit 10 x 225 by the end of the year.

They are my neutral grip land mine rows, that's the total weight loaded on one end and my pull down handle. I lift till the weights hit me in the chest. It feels more similar to a DB row than a pendlay row in that some of the stress is off my lower back an onto my quads. It's still definitively a lower back lift though which might be a good thing? Also the limited range of motion seems to take a lot of stress of my shoulders.

Yah, I think when I last did pullovers I was doing them between 65 and 85, so 70lbs should work fine for you, at somewhat higher reps, which is probably a better way to do them anyway, since the joint angles are a bit stressful.

Thanks I am going to try them, maybe in my warmups initially. They seem like a good opening movement to offset the inverted rows.

What sorts of tweaks are you thinking of?

Not so much tweaks, more just analyzing my current lifts now to determine if what I am doing is adequate and if there are any additional things I may want to add. More of a holistic perspective and how all the lifts and the cardio stuff interact.

For example I think I should incorporate some rotational movements, I am just trying to figure out how to fit them in time wise? The body part style workouts seem to take a lot longer especially as your loads get higher.

For example
Mon
Bench
Landmine Row
Close Grip Bench
Curls
Farmers
Horizontal Upper Push/Pull + Carries

Wed
DL
Squat
Vertical Lower Push/Pull

Fri
Press
Power Cleans
Weighted Pull up
Push press
Vertical Upper Push/Pull + Exp Full Body

So am I hitting:
1. Horizontal Push (Bench Press, Push Up)
2. Horizontal Pull (Rows and variations)
3. Vertical Push (Military Press and variations)
4. Vertical Pull (Pull up, Pulldown)
5. Explosive Full Body (Total Body lifts: swings/snatches/cleans/jerks)
6. Quad Dominant Lower Body (Squat)
7. Posterior Chain (Deadlift)
8. Anterior Chain (Medicine Ball Ab Throw)
9. Rotational/Torque?

So maybe add in the land mine twists on Wednesday to get the rotational item, and maybe a single arm land mine press? I think I am getting the anterior chain work enough from my ab rollouts in the warm up.

I think I am hitting adequate rep ranges for the upper lifts, to help stimulate some strength endurance and then keeping them low for the lower lifts. Starting to see a little shrinkage in my things which is a good sign.

Thanks, like you the bench comes a little easier to me than my other lifts. I was also thinking maybe pushing my bench will help strengthen my press, kind of the reverse order as what you are thinking. You know how rip argues that a stronger squat will help with he the DL weight ha. It felt good to push a bit too. I also like your idea about repping out with 225 while your press is building. I think that is an excellent idea, I really hope to hit 10 x 225 by the end of the year.

Yah, I think Rip (who didn't take the press seriously for the first 15 years of his career) also says one of the reasons for doing the bench is to strengthen the press, because he doesn't think the bench press is all that useful as an athletic support. I dunno which carries over to which better, my experience is too limited. Same with the squat to/from deadlift directionality. I think the press does bulletproof one's bench press more than the other way around (my left shoulder keeps feeling better and better), and the squat seems to bulletproof the deadlift too (my right glute/hip feels completely healed). I'm not sure if either of the former lifts actually makes the corresponding latter lift stronger though. I also prefer the press over the bench press because it seems to better serve my primary ST goal of having a strong back, especially now that I'm able to do heavier weights. It was cool many years ago when I could do my first body weight bench press, but I think when I'm able to do a bodyweight press it will be a much better measure of overall strength.

And yeah, I'm a little intrigued by going for reps at those classic plate increments. Like doing 315 squats for reps, or 405 deadlifts for reps. 10 x 225 bench press would put you/us right up around 300 for a 1RM. A very nice intermediate level.

They are my neutral grip land mine rows, that's the total weight loaded on one end and my pull down handle. I lift till the weights hit me in the chest. It feels more similar to a DB row than a pendlay row in that some of the stress is off my lower back an onto my quads. It's still definitively a lower back lift though which might be a good thing? Also the limited range of motion seems to take a lot of stress of my shoulders.
Yah, that's how I remember the t-bar rows--easier on the lower back. I should probably give them a try again at some point, but right now I've all of a sudden become interested in developing the Pendlay Row, as part of the basic barbell repertoire.

I think if there's one area that merits some assistance work, it's the lower back. I want to get more serious about the back extensions/pikes again, now that I'm ready to start pushing the deadlift a little bit. Also, Starr said the best assistance for the press is lower body work like the overhead squat.

Thanks I am going to try them, maybe in my warmups initially. They seem like a good opening movement to offset the inverted rows.

I always liked pullovers more as a finisher, after everything is warmed up and a little tired, for a good pump and full stretch. Let me know what you think of them as a warm-up.

Not so much tweaks, more just analyzing my current lifts now to determine if what I am doing is adequate and if there are any additional things I may want to add. More of a holistic perspective and how all the lifts and the cardio stuff interact.

For example I think I should incorporate some rotational movements, I am just trying to figure out how to fit them in time wise? The body part style workouts seem to take a lot longer especially as your loads get higher.

For example
Mon
Bench
Landmine Row
Close Grip Bench
Curls
Farmers
Horizontal Upper Push/Pull + Carries

Wed
DL
Squat
Vertical Lower Push/Pull

Fri
Press
Power Cleans
Weighted Pull up
Push press
Vertical Upper Push/Pull + Exp Full Body

So am I hitting:
1. Horizontal Push (Bench Press, Push Up)
2. Horizontal Pull (Rows and variations)
3. Vertical Push (Military Press and variations)
4. Vertical Pull (Pull up, Pulldown)
5. Explosive Full Body (Total Body lifts: swings/snatches/cleans/jerks)
6. Quad Dominant Lower Body (Squat)
7. Posterior Chain (Deadlift)
8. Anterior Chain (Medicine Ball Ab Throw)
9. Rotational/Torque?

So maybe add in the land mine twists on Wednesday to get the rotational item, and maybe a single arm land mine press? I think I am getting the anterior chain work enough from my ab rollouts in the warm up.
That's a nice organization. I'm pretty much in line with your thinking, although I'm not doing splits because I'm not running and biking so much like you. I guess at some point you have to chose whether or not the st is supporting the racing or if it exists independently and is only accommodating your running and biking training by going to a split.

For me, the two--st and running--exist independently, with no necessary carryover, although being stronger should, of course, help my running, and having a good aerobic base should help my lifting, pace all the meatheads who enjoy indulging their distaste for any sort of endurance activity. At least Wendler understands the importance of some cardio.

So for me, as for exercise selection, it's just a question of how much to worry about those categories of lift that exist outside of the six basic force/direction pairings of the slow lifts, categories like "rotational," "anterior chain," "plyometric/explosive," and "loaded carry." Right now my weekly wave workouts are taking me to the brink of my st work capacity, but it would be nice to get in a minimum of two assistance exercises at the end of each workout. I put the most likely candidates in boldface in this week's workout template. Wendler is a big believer in back extensions, but I think pikes are pretty much the same thing and a little more fullbody/athletic.

I guess one principle I try to follow for time-saving is to put the assistance exercises that use the same piece of equipment together on the same day, if it doesn't interfere too much with another logic, so landmine twists could go in the workout that has the landmine press. I'm also leaning towards 1x8-10 instead of 2x5 for assistance.

I'm still wavering on power cleans. Probably won't get to them until my deadlift is back over 300. Same with the dips, probably best to leave them off until my focus lifts improve a lot more. I mean, after I get my squat and press aligned with the Iron Ratio, I'll still have my pullups to worry about, so all that other stuff can wait. There simply isn't enough time or energy to add in anything that isn't light assistance right now, unless I start subbing them in for one of the main lifts on my Stamina Day. Power lifts might be a good alternative for Deadlifts on Stamina Day.

I think I am hitting adequate rep ranges for the upper lifts, to help stimulate some strength endurance and then keeping them low for the lower lifts. Starting to see a little shrinkage in my things which is a good sign.
Yah, I guess your legs get plenty of endurance work, no need to do higher reps on the squats and deadlifts.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts