Concurrent Strength Training & Running 2015: Eight-Week Workout Cycle II

Hmnn, the problem for me is that a workout doesn't really feel complete without the deadlifts, but I don't want to do 3RM intensity every time. Maybe I could sub assistance like Good Mornings and Back Extensions on some days, but then again, once I hit over 300 for the 3RM, I could loosen the percentages for the 5RM and 10RM and still get some benefit, without risking overtraining or injury . . .

I think that's an excellent idea for the extra sets protocol--base it on 3RM, and then when 5 reps are achieved, shift that load to the 5RM sets and use it to calculate the new 3RM load. However, the RM depends somewhat on how many sets you're doing too. So even if you can do five reps on the final set of 3/3/3+, I don't know if that means you can now do 5/5 at that same weight, but probably I would think. Anyway, it's worth experimenting with. Today's exchange has been pretty productive.

If 157 became your estimated 3RM, I would be conservative and round down instead of up, to 152.5 or 155, especially if you're doing multiple sets. I used to think five-pound increments or 2.5 kilograms were useless, but I got some 2.5-pound grip plates a few months ago and I've been enjoying going up five pounds at a time. It's good motivation to make progress with more but smaller steps I think. It's probably better for it to be too easy than to miss reps and get discouraged. You can always increase the load during the workout or the next time/week. A slightly easier load will also allow you to take into account fluctuations in energy and motivation.

Going to see what 10 reps feels like in a few hours. I pegged it at 75%. On your ExRx capture, Dos Remedios has it at 70% and his other percentages have felt good to me, so I might end up decreasing the weight if my estimated loads feel like too much. I would still like Wednesdays to be something of a Recovery Day, as per the Texas Method, even though there's no longer much left of the Texas Method in the rest of my current programming.

I think you are right with the increments, maybe I will increase my other sets by 2.5kgs the following week if I make a 5kg increase in the 3 rep set. Then I don't have too worry about the rounding. Plus I am not doing straight sets so its a little more complicated how to project the increase. I don't see why you cant go higher reps with lower weight deadlifts. Its the high weight caution I guess.

How did the 10 reps go? edit: nevermind didn't see you posted on your log.

I think you are right with the increments, maybe I will increase my other sets by 2.5kgs the following week if I make a 5kg increase in the 3 rep set. Then I don't have too worry about the rounding. Plus I am not doing straight sets so its a little more complicated how to project the increase. I don't see why you cant go higher reps with lower weight deadlifts. Its the high weight caution I guess.

How did the 10 reps go? edit: nevermind didn't see you posted on your log.
Yah, I was giving an example of how I might apply our 3RM+2=5RM progressive loading principle to my sets-across protocol. (Protocol, Principle, Parameter -- I use these terms loosely) With 1/2/3 or 5/3/1 waves it gets more complicated, as you say, but I think a rep calculator should be able to help, just use the 3 and/or 5 rep counts as your base. You seem to be using Baechle's percentages on that ExRx page, right ? Those seem a little high for me. Dos Remedios's somewhat lower percentages work best for me (maybe I lack stamina?), plus for the standard 3/5/8/10 rep-counts, his percentages are in easy-to-calculate five-percent increments -- 90/85/75/70 percent, respectively. Yesterday when I needed to switch from 75% to 70% for my 10-rep sets, all I had to do was multiply 10% of my 1RM by 7, for each lift, then round up/down to five.

Thinking a bit more about yesterday's inaugural 10-rep session, although I liked training more of a strength endurance parameter, I'm wondering if I need to do the main lifts that way. It might be more beneficial to do variations of the main lifts or their assistance lifts that way, so I can kill two birds with one stone. Like, do 10 reps of the Overhead Squat or Front Squat or Box Squat, instead of the Back Squat, or 10 reps of the Dumbbell Bench Press or Dips instead of the Barbell Bench Press. Once you get up to 10 reps, I don't think it really matters if you're doing the basic movement or not, because the whole point of basic barbell training is to recruit maximal mass for strength gains, and that's best done with lower reps anyway. Conceivably, I could get through most of my assistance lifts in one workout if I just do one set of 10 reps for each one. Then Monday and Friday's workouts are totally or almost totally dedicated to volume and intensity, respectively, on the main lifts. Something to think about. The only real trick would be to order the assistance lifts efficiently.

For the deadlifts, I was wondering if fatigue from higher reps might set one up for injury, more so than on other lifts. But if I were to adopt the idea outlined in the preceding paragraph, this would no longer be an issue. I could sub high-rep deadlifts with high-rep good mornings or back extensions on my 10RM day.

Toying with the idea of doing 8 instead of 10 reps on my High Rep/Recovery/Density Day. I could increase from 70%RM to 75% that way, getting a little more intensity/resistance at the cost of a little stamina, and it would be a little less mental agony. But I dunno, probably shouldn't be so quick to give up on the 10-rep challenge. I will probably adapt better after a few weeks.

Edit: Reading up a bit more, apparently what I'm doing is called DUP (Daily Undulating Periodization) or VRT (Variable Repitition Training). I think the latter is more descriptively adequate. The former makes it sound more complicated than it is. Anyway, a lot of people seem to get good results with this approach, so that's reassuring. It feels like a good way to push progress yet prevent overtraining while also training slightly different strength paramenters. Cosgrove has a pretty wide range of reps, but I think a tighter range is more suited to my goals. And anyway, I could never handle 15-25 reps mentally. It would suck all the fun out of my workouts and make it feel like a chore.

P.S., did any of you catch the dust-up in the comments section of Rippetoe's latest article for T-Nation? Pretty fun. It's a pretty visceral look at what someone with common sense is up against in the fitness industry. Brad seems to be arguing from theory, and perhaps a need to demonstrate intelligence, although he claims his methods are driven by practice, Rip from theory based on practice.

Yeah I did just read some, not sure with whom I'd agree with? I think like you or someone here may have discussed before there is such an American focus on football, like training for it is the end all be all. And Rip preaches to that over and over again. Occasionally he will plug in basketball or baseball, but he never even considers the biggest participation sport. So to simply plug his advice to me is just silly, there is no way a 300 lb. squat will help me more than a 200lb. squat in long distance running. Once he starts to consider the regular people maybe he would start to change his tune?

I guess he is the master at generalization, so I shouldn't expect much more than that.

Yeah I did just read some, not sure with whom I'd agree with? I think like you or someone here may have discussed before there is such an American focus on football, like training for it is the end all be all. And Rip preaches to that over and over again. Occasionally he will plug in basketball or baseball, but he never even considers the biggest participation sport. So to simply plug his advice to me is just silly, there is no way a 300 lb. squat will help me more than a 200lb. squat in long distance running. Once he starts to consider the regular people maybe he would start to change his tune?

I guess he is the master at generalization, so I shouldn't expect much more than that.
I guess we interpreted the debate differently. I don't think actual loads or sport specificity are important to his argument. He's just saying that the most efficient and effective way to get strong is to do the heavy barbell exercises. In my limited experience, that's been true. Of course an endurance runner has much less need for heavy squats and deadlifts than a American football lineman, but I think Rippetoe is saying both should do squats and deadlifts as their primary exercises to improve, in this instance, lower body strength.

The part of the comments I found most interesting was Brad's insistence that certain hip and shoulder body types are not suited to barbell exercises. Rippetoe, based on his experience, flat out rejects this notion: "I have been teaching barbell training for decades. We hold seminars every month in which everybody performs the movements. The only people we see that cannot squat below parallel and press correctly overhead AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN TAUGHT HOW are people who are not strong enough. That's it. All 3 types of shoulders and all 4 hip joint configurations can do both exercises correctly."

I have no way of judging who is correct, as I've mostly trained alone or with fairly novice lifters at university gyms. In my own experience the basic lifts are easy to perform once you master the technique. It's also my sense that I benefit most from barbell exercises, but it could just a personal predisposition or ingrained habit, since I've been lifting this way from the very beginning. Like BA, I've only used machine presses when there weren't any other options. But I think Rippetoe makes a very interesting point that the reason other trainers or coaches haven't had as much success teaching these basic lifts is because they simply don't know how to teach them. It's oftentimes the case that teachers blame students' abilities or lack thereof for poor performance instead of examining their teaching methods, so I don't find this hard to believe at all.

Unrelatedly,
I've been looking into the whole set/rep thing some more. E.g.:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ipulating_reps_for_gains_in_size_and_strength
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/setsandreps.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alwyn3.htm

I think I might adopt a descending sets protocol on my intensity day, like your 1/2/3. I always used to do this on the bench, and it might make things a bit more interesting and it would have me motivated to PR on the 1RM whenever I could.

Another thought is that instead of doing all the lifts as volume or intensity in a given workout, maybe split Squats, Bench, and Pulldowns, on the on hand, and Deadlifts, OH Press, and Rows, on the other, so that in Monday's workout, three lifts are done for volume, the others for Intensity, and in Friday's workout, just the opposite, with Wednesday's workout remaining something of a high-rep/recovery/assistance/density workout. Thoughts?

Yeah sorry I get a bit annoyed by Rip's articles? Maybe his writing style just irks me. What about the differences in squat style and grip width. Rip seems to always ignore these anatomical driven differences that I think are pertinent in the discussion. His teaching "how" is a very narrow minded method that most other strength guru's would disagree with. Squat style for example, low bar, wide bar, stare at the ground etc... there is just no flexibility with him, so yeah I agree examine the teacher. But overall it is really hard to mimic the potential of squats, deadlifts, presses and bench with other exercises or machines. I do think they should make up the backbone in any lifting program. Or if you make them the backbone of your program it will likely be much more efficient at strength development than most other programs. I'd like to make a generalization too about the steroid usage theory but I really have no frame of reference so maybe Rip is right about people starting drug use too early?

Yeah I have been thinking about how to optimize the whole body concept this week. The split routine feels pretty good to me this week and I don't want to make any premature predictions about the benefits, although I kind of miss that full body pump. As for descending sets I am working in the ranges 4/3/2 for DL's and the 5/3/2 for the upper body stuff. With always increasing weights. It is exactly like what you used to do.

Some good things I have noticed, the high rep sets aren't too hard or the low rep set isn't too easy which I experience on my straight weight 1/2/3 ladders in the squat. Also a set of two doesn't give you any room for hitting a max weight like I could get away with a single rep. This also forces me to keep the set of 4/5 heavy but not in danger of failure if I keep the weights split by 5 or 10kgs between sets.

I have been semi-supersetting my lifts. Today I did the power cleans and presses together and the high rep pull ups and bench. I think if you are doing 3 intensity lifts you could probably get away with coupling them with the higher volume lifts. Then you get some overall intensity and density effect as well?

But yeah I think 6 intense full body lifts is very likely too much to sustain for longer periods of time so splitting might be good. I am actually kind of surprised you still want to do some assistance work after that. I was toast after my full body sessions.

The intensity concept is very different than the easy strength theory. I'm not quite sure how to reconcile the two. Can two completely different programs achieve the same thing?

Yeah sorry I get a bit annoyed by Rip's articles? Maybe his writing style just irks me. What about the differences in squat style and grip width. Rip seems to always ignore these anatomical driven differences that I think are pertinent in the discussion. His teaching "how" is a very narrow minded method that most other strength guru's would disagree with. Squat style for example, low bar, wide bar, stare at the ground etc... there is just no flexibility with him, so yeah I agree examine the teacher. But overall it is really hard to mimic the potential of squats, deadlifts, presses and bench with other exercises or machines. I do think they should make up the backbone in any lifting program. Or if you make them the backbone of your program it will likely be much more efficient at strength development than most other programs. I'd like to make a generalization too about the steroid usage theory but I really have no frame of reference so maybe Rip is right about people starting drug use too early?

Yeah I have been thinking about how to optimize the whole body concept this week. The split routine feels pretty good to me this week and I don't want to make any premature predictions about the benefits, although I kind of miss that full body pump. As for descending sets I am working in the ranges 4/3/2 for DL's and the 5/3/2 for the upper body stuff. With always increasing weights. It is exactly like what you used to do.

Some good things I have noticed, the high rep sets aren't too hard or the low rep set isn't too easy which I experience on my straight weight 1/2/3 ladders in the squat. Also a set of two doesn't give you any room for hitting a max weight like I could get away with a single rep. This also forces me to keep the set of 4/5 heavy but not in danger of failure if I keep the weights split by 5 or 10kgs between sets.

I have been semi-supersetting my lifts. Today I did the power cleans and presses together and the high rep pull ups and bench. I think if you are doing 3 intensity lifts you could probably get away with coupling them with the higher volume lifts. Then you get some overall intensity and density effect as well?

But yeah I think 6 intense full body lifts is very likely too much to sustain for longer periods of time so splitting might be good. I am actually kind of surprised you still want to do some assistance work after that. I was toast after my full body sessions.
Yah, Rip's put-upon, grumpy old man schtick wears thin, I know what you mean. On the other hand, I find his technical descriptions clear and engaging, kind of like a sweaty Earnest Hemingway.

Different squat styles serve different purposes, but I think the point about everyone being able to do some kind of barbell squat might be valid. I really have no idea. But it doesn't seem like both Rip and Brad can be right, and I trust Rip's honesty. He's a dickhead at times, but I don't think he's a bullshitter. I know it took me a while to figure out how to squat and what grip/stance/bar-position/depth best suited me, so it's easy to imagine a coach prematurely ruling out an individual's ability to squat due to the coach's laziness in figuring those things out. And of course, it's still commonly thought that "squats will ruin your knees" or "deadlifts will ruin your back" so that explains a little bit Rip's frustration and bluntness when he has to argue against all the fitness bs on the internet and in lower level certification courses and state university exercise science classes. I'd much rather listen to someone who's trained thousands of average athletes than some poorly organized study conducted among college students, sometimes untrained even, for 12 weeks.

Anyway, that wasn't directed against you, just me writing down my two cents' worth with respect to the debate in the comments. After a while one gets a sense of who makes the most sense and Rip is one of those guys, along with Wendler, Dan John, Cosgrove, and some others. Guys who focus on the basics and have thought long and hard about the logic behind their programming choices. You still have to modify their ideas to suit your goals, results, motivation, etc., but it's easier when most of the BS has already been filtered out by their no-nonsense experience. Yesterday while stretching out in my straddle stretch contraption, I was going over Rip's "Practical Programming" book, and I was impressed with his rhetorical style and reasoning. On the websites he tends to adopt more of his pissy aggressive style.

Getting back to the subject at hand, I thought the second article I linked to in my last comment was a particularly good summary of the volume/intensity, sets/reps options we've been discussing lately. I think it's right to introduce some variety within one's weekly routine, but as you point out the trick is trying to optimize the variety for one's goals, time available, and motivation. Although sometimes I wonder if I'm just looking to adjust things for the sake of change alone. I dunno. But does seem like there's been a slow, steady improvement in my understanding and implementation of strength training protocols, principles, and parameters over the last year. It's hard to say with the recent spat of injury and rehab, but I feel like progress has sped up during this time.

So there's really no reason to change this cycle's 3/10/5 wave scheme, but if there's a little tweak that might improve it, then why not, right? I guess it's mostly a feeling I got this morning, feeling good after a semi-decent running session the day before, that it might be time to do some singles again. Just a feeling, no real reason for it. So then doing something like you're doing popped into my mind. Descending rep-counts and percentages are already worked out in my chart, so it would be easy. Then I thought what it would be like to do drop-sets or something like that more often, and the idea of splitting things up a bit came in. I'm not sure if I agree that it will be any easier that way, because the volume and high rep workouts also take a lot out of me too. But it would be a way of attaining an even fuller workout twice a week if I work volume and intensity in both workouts. Don't know what the implications are physiologically. It's true intensity days are intense, but so are volume days. I think a full body routine is always going to be hard if you're pushing a parameter. So yeah, you're right that it's hard to motivate for assistance stuff after either the intensity or volume day. Hench the idea of possibly throwing all that stuff into Wednesday's workout. Of course, I could just stick to doing the same six lifts with higher reps on Wednesdays, but a little more variety might help keep things fresh. So basically two hard days and one easy day in the middle.

Anyway, thanks, as always for your input.

One thing about your split routine, I think I've read Cosgrove and a few others from the 'back to the basics' school of thought say there's really only two good or necessary programs for 80-90 percent of the population, and those are either a full body routine or an upper/lower split routine. I think your adoption of a split routine makes perfect sense given your ambitions as a runner. Now that I'm running again, I'm once again a little concerned with how all the squat work is going to fit in. It was easy to do squats every workout when I wasn't running much.

I don't know anything about the steroid argument. Some of the posters in the comments section called bullshit on Rip's claim that players are using steroids as a substitute for strength training. I didn't play college football but my older brother did and all his teammates did serious free weights, but that was way back when. Personally, I have never had any curiosity about using PEDs, and the potential side effects scare me. One guy I lifted with in Chicago blew out his elbows that way. I guess I didn't really find the article itself as interesting as the exchange between Rip and Brad. I had recently become acquainted with Brad's name because he commented on Thibaudeau's Ratios/Weaknesses article and said that he had also worked out a ratio scheme for a lot of the basic lifts. It was Brad, I think, who said a 7/5 ratio of deadlift to squat (140%) is more realistic than a 5/4 ratio (125%). That jibes with my experience, so I found it interesting that he disagreed with Rip about different joint types and their ability to do the basic barbell movements.

The supersetting idea is interesting, thanks. The problem with supersetting for me is mental. I tend to like to stay focused on one lift until I'm done with it. Whether it's volume, or intensity, or higher reps, I need to stay focused in order to summon the motivation for each set. But I should give it a serious try at some point, and your idea of supersetting or alternating between an intensity lift and a volume lift could really be a great approach to the proposed split volume/intensity protocol. I tend to take longer than you and BA to work out, so any time-saving idea is appreciated.

Good luck on the race this weekend!

The intensity concept is very different than the easy strength theory. I'm not quite sure how to reconcile the two. Can two completely different programs achieve the same thing?

Well, I'm not one to contradict a trainer with tons of experience and proven results, but the easy strength concept has never made sense to me. It's kind of like the Mafetone method. It might be a good way to prevent overtraining and injury, but I would think the rate of progress is slower. If progress is simply adaptation to stress, then the lower the stress, the weaker the adaptation. I don't see how you can work around that. The trick is always optimizing stress while avoiding overtraining, it seems to me. Plus, I think it's always a good idea to train each facet of fitness--volume, stamina/density, intensity--and I don't know of any conclusive evidence that says you can't profitably train them all at the same time, as long as sufficient recovery time has been programmed in.

In any case, yesterday's Intensity session went very well. I slept like a baby and today I feel like a million bucks. So it's tempting to forgo the idea in this cycle working in a lot of assistance lifts on Wednesday, and just keep plugging away at the six lifts with full-body workouts for as long as I'm making steady progress and don't feel overtrained. I dunno, if I add in assistance lifts, it will be in complement to the main lifts, and not as a substitute.

Of course, one solution is to simply give myself an extra 10-15 minutes each workout to get in the plyometrics and assistance stuff. I waste more than 30-45 minutes each week, so there's no real reason to keep everything to less than an hour if I can become a little more efficient in other areas.

In any case, I liked the ladders or descending sets, and it felt good to be doing singles again, so next week at least, I will try to keep following the following VRT (Variable Repetition Training) or DUP (Daily Undulating Periodization) or simply "wave" routine:

Volume Day -- Quantity
SQ: 4x5
TK OH PR: 4x5
PD: 4x5
B PR: 2x5
BB Row: 3x5
DL: 2x5

Stamina Day -- Density
SQ: 10/8/7
TK OH PR: 10/8/7
PD: 10/8/7
B PR: 10/8
C Row: 10/8/7
DL: 10

Power Day -- Intensity
SQ: 3/3/3+
TK OH PR: 3/3/3+
PD: 3/3/3+
B PR: 3/3+
DB Row: 3/3/3+
DL: 3/3+

Or

SQ: 1/2/3, 1/2/3+
TK OH PR: 1/2/3, 1/2/3+
PD: 1/2/3, 1/2/3+
B PR: 1/2/3+
Kroc Row: 2 x 10+
DL: 1/2/3+

Each day attacks a different strength parameter--volume, stamina, or power.

On Stamina Day, I'll do ascending weight and descending reps across three sets, while on Intensity Day, if I do ladders, I'll do descending weight and ascending reps. If I don't do ladders on Intensity Day, I'll do straight sets across.

On Intensity Day I'll also give myself the option of adding extra reps on the last set of each lift, whether or not I'm doing ladders or straight sets.

Kroc Rows will be done with two sets on each hand, to fatigue, physical or motivational.

In every workout, my three weakest lifts--the Squat, OH Press, and Pull-up/-down--will always get more reps, the Bench Press and Deadlift the least, and the Rows somewhere in the middle.

If I add in assistance exercises, they will be ones that address potential structural imbalances that may be limiting the main lifts, such as face pulls or reverse flyes to balance the posterior delts with all the work the anterior delts are getting on the presses, or to work on greater ROM, like Dumbbell Presses for Barbell Presses.

If I'm able to follow this routine, there won't really be an easy or hard day, just different ways of being challenging.

In a similar vein, if and when my running gets back up to speed, a weekly wave of Volume (long run), Stamina (tempo run) and Max Effort (hills or intervals) could be programmed in, probably in reverse order.

P.S., really enjoying the Spud 2-ply belt. I ordered the 3-ply extra large now so that I can cover the four-inch gap in the middle. If I lose weight and the belt becomes too big, I think I can cut away a bit on the outer strap to make it still fit. I doubt it would ever get more than 1-2 inches too big. I know of a nearby apholstery repair shop that could modify it with heavy duty stitching. They sewed the D-ring into the bottom of my heavy bag and did a good job.

BTW, how'd the race go?

The intensity style program is usually a 3 days a week splitting up the body. The easy strength is more of a 5 day a week plan and full body everyday. So overall you very likely lift the same total weights. From that angle I can see how they both can be successful. Plus easy is definitely open for discussion. These days nothing I lift seems easy anymore, and if you are having a good day in that program you just go for it. So I can understand how they both can be useful.

I like the layout of your program. I think doing those kind of volume lifts you really shouldn't do any assistance. You are right though all the set/rep mixtures are difficult as long as you use the right weight or speed between sets.

The run went really well, it was kind of an organized timed group run not really a race. I was very impressed how good I felt the next day, another benefit of the minimal running concept for me. I wrote up some here and have been copying my logs from here to there.
https://6movements.wordpress.com/2015/03/07/limburgse-halfzware-50k/

I'll post up a bit more in a bit.

The intensity style program is usually a 3 days a week splitting up the body. The easy strength is more of a 5 day a week plan and full body everyday. So overall you very likely lift the same total weights. From that angle I can see how they both can be successful. Plus easy is definitely open for discussion. These days nothing I lift seems easy anymore, and if you are having a good day in that program you just go for it. So I can understand how they both can be useful.

I like the layout of your program. I think doing those kind of volume lifts you really shouldn't do any assistance. You are right though all the set/rep mixtures are difficult as long as you use the right weight or speed between sets.

The run went really well, it was kind of an organized timed group run not really a race. I was very impressed how good I felt the next day, another benefit of the minimal running concept for me. I wrote up some here and have been copying my logs from here to there.
https://6movements.wordpress.com/2015/03/07/limburgse-halfzware-50k/

I'll post up a bit more in a bit.
Yah, I was forgetting the bit about pushing it whenever one felt like it, in the easy strength program. Kind of like high-volume runners, they may do most of their training at aerobic pace, but at least 20% of their mileage is still tempo/hills/intervals. I guess easy strength probably wouldn't work for my personality. I like pushing things a bit each workout, and I appreciate the EOD routine, keeps things fresh. I would think doing the same lifts on multiple consecutive days would wear me down mentally. Lifting is great, but it doesn't have the same intrinsic joy as running, which I could see doing every day.

If I do assistance lifts, they will be done light and high rep, more of a conditioning exercise than strength building. Here's an argument for not doing them altogether: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2008/12...ting-and-how-to-add-110-pounds-to-your-lifts/

Nice write up on the run. I'm still amazed how you and BA can just go out and run those ultra distances with such little prep. Usually it's only high-mileage kats like DNEChris who can get away with that. Glad to hear your minimalist running approach is working out for you. It's getting frustrating not being able to push my own running a bit--this stubbed toe is taking forever to heal up. I'll give the active recovery approach another week or two, but if it's not getting better after that, I may have to go for absolute rest and try biking or something for my aerobic component.

Yesterday I read two more Rippetoe articles on T-Nation as well as the comments sections. You're right, he's very dogmatic, but I guess I prefer that to a Bret Contreras or Eric Cressey-style "every exercise is valid" wishy-washiness. In one article Rip rips the PT profession, and gives his reasons for avoiding a lot of assistance and unilateral exercises. His logic seems sound and jibes with my experience. Focusing on the big, compound lifts does seem like the fastest way to progress and cure weaknesses. And I think a lot of people confuse coordination with strength when they say one side of their body is stronger or weaker than the other. My left side is definitely less coordinated, but I can't see how it can be any weaker if I'm keeping the bar steady and balanced during the bilateral barbell movements. The only thing I don't get is why Rip relegates upper body pulls to assistance. I can't see how a row or pullup isn't just as essential as a bench press or overhead press.

Someone posted this in the comments section of one of his articles (https://www.t-nation.com/training/rippetoe-goes-off/comments:

Pretty funny, even though the Hitler meme has gotten old.

Anyway, thanks for your endorsement of my proposed workout routine. I'll do my best to stick with it this week and hopefully for the rest of the cycle. I've been encouraged by my recent progress. The only thing that might change is the Stamina Day. I might go 5% lighter on each rep-count if I feel like I need a bit more recovery in between Monday's Volume/quantity and Friday's Force/intensity workouts. I might also drop the 10-rep set or the descending 10/8/7 sets, and just do 8 reps, straight sets across. The ninth and tenth rep are pretty hard mentally.

That one is pretty funny. I like how they rip Louie as well even though the two are so different.
I guess that redundant style works for some which is why he has a large following. But that part has always confused me, he does encourage pull ups but there is nothing more really than that or any organization to it. He probably figures everyone is like us and only listen to him partially so he might as well only hammer at the essentials.
Besides how many people really stick with anything for more than a couple of years, especially SS? I would get completely burnt out if I worked in the fitness industry in any capacity, and very likely become a bitter dogmatic person too.

Speaking about rep schematics, I think I am going to do my max sets on the 2 rep set on the final set. Maybe if I can push that set to 4 or 5 reps then I might increase by 2.5 kgs. the next session. I will have one session at the prescribed weight and reps and then the following week push the final set. If that bumps up then repeat the same prescribed/push pattern.

I also got my neutral grip handle and used it for bent rows in the landmine. It felt great except I had a little trouble supporting the weight on my right quad?
Those 8 rep sets are mentally challenging and physically as well even though the weights are very modest. I do like the stimulus they give for the upper body. So the switch to a split routine has been good so far. Not having to deal with DL's every session has been kind of a relief. And now I am actually looking forward to squatting a little more. Maybe reducing the workloads is a good thing for me overall.

Each run is getting a little better, having one or two longer runs I think has been important, more so than 2-3 short runs and one longer one. Likely its the combination of biking and running that has been more important.

That one is pretty funny. I like how they rip Louie as well even though the two are so different.
I guess that redundant style works for some which is why he has a large following. But that part has always confused me, he does encourage pull ups but there is nothing more really than that or any organization to it. He probably figures everyone is like us and only listen to him partially so he might as well only hammer at the essentials.
Besides how many people really stick with anything for more than a couple of years, especially SS? I would get completely burnt out if I worked in the fitness industry in any capacity, and very likely become a bitter dogmatic person too.

Speaking about rep schematics, I think I am going to do my max sets on the 2 rep set on the final set. Maybe if I can push that set to 4 or 5 reps then I might increase by 2.5 kgs. the next session. I will have one session at the prescribed weight and reps and then the following week push the final set. If that bumps up then repeat the same prescribed/push pattern.

I also got my neutral grip handle and used it for bent rows in the landmine. It felt great except I had a little trouble supporting the weight on my right quad?
Those 8 rep sets are mentally challenging and physically as well even though the weights are very modest. I do like the stimulus they give for the upper body. So the switch to a split routine has been good so far. Not having to deal with DL's every session has been kind of a relief. And now I am actually looking forward to squatting a little more. Maybe reducing the workloads is a good thing for me overall.

Each run is getting a little better, having one or two longer runs I think has been important, more so than 2-3 short runs and one longer one. Likely its the combination of biking and running that has been more important.
Good points and observations all around. I trust Rippetoe's honesty, so if he says rows or pullups aren't essential, I won't argue, but I think part of the reason my shoulder issue has pretty much cleared up is because I've gotten more serious about the rows. I think there's a lot to be said for Poliquin's theory of structural balance (as we recently discussed after reading Thibaudeau's article.) And I've seen others recommend something like our six force/direction pairings, with varying opinions about the essential-ness of things like loaded carries, or rotational exercises, etc.

I have to say, I find Rippetoe's mercilessly macho rhetorical style pretty funny, but I probably wouldn't want to hang out with him for any length of time. Don't know if it's burnout or just him naturally being a dick, but you're right, I would sure burnout in the fitness industry. After a year of reading up in the strength training blogs and articles, my interest is starting to taper, as I find myself learning less and less that is useful. Kind of like the phase I went through in reading up on running in 2013.

Reading Rip's attack on PTs made me recall my own recent experience with a Chiro, and her telling me that I have a weak right glute, and that I should do pistol squats to correct the imbalance. I had to remind her that I probably failed her test because I was in a lot of pain at the time, and all the muscles in that area were extremely stiff, and that it's hard to believe I have weak glutes if I could squat nearly 300 pounds a few months before that. She had no response. I got the feeling she was just following the script she had been taught. She admitted at least that she didn't know anything about lower body lifts. And her posture was bad, which is strange for a Chiro.

The reason it's important for me to mull over this experience is that I'm still wondering how best to proceed with getting my deadlifts back up. The cautious, gradual approach is safest, of course, but if it was just a minor muscle pull made painful by the pressure the inflammation or tightness put on the sciatic nerve, there's a chance I'm already fully healed. In the past, when I've pulled a muscle in my shoulder blade or quads, it's only taken a couple of weeks to fully heal. It seems to me if I had really injured the sacroiliac joint, as the Chiro diagnosed, I would've had to have been pulling close to my 1RM, and it would've taken more than 5-6 days of massaging to make it feel 100% pain-free again.

I'm also wondering if doing Good Mornings and Back Extensions might help prevent injury on the deadlift. That's part of the reason I can't let go of the idea that I should be doing at least some assistance.

I like your idea for increases. Ideally, once we bump up in weight, it seems like we should sit there at least a week before pushing it again. It would be helpful to include a little more play-by-play in your training log so I can follow the logic of what you're doing. It's usually clear with the numbers, but a few statements about the workout would help me follow along too. Lately you've been doing it bit more, and it's helpful. Myself, I gotta stop writing so much!

Cool you liked the neutral grip. Today I think I'm going to try bentover barbell rows with a supinated grip, as was recently recommeded in a T-Nation article. I'm tired of waiting for the T-Grip bar to be restocked. Funny you felt it in the quad. Maybe an aftereffect from the weekend race?

What percentage of 1RM are you doing the 8-rep sets by the way? This week I'm trying it at 75%, seven reps at 80%, and ten reps at 70%. I think Poliquin said 70% is the lower limit of strength stimulus.

Alright I'll add a little more commentary. Basically the layout of the plan is:

Mon
Heavy: Bench & Back
Assistance: Shoulders & Curls
Heavy Farmers walks

Wed
Heavy Deadlifts
~Heavy Squats

Fri
Heavy: Shoulders & Back
Assistance: Chest & Curls/Back
Medium Power Cleans

I agree I think its important to be cautious as you work your way back up. I don't necessarily see a reason as to why you can't make regular jumps to get you in the weight region you were before. I would refrain from making large jumps in one day. I think the big jumps work until you get to that marginal weight where 5 or 10 lbs. requires more significant effort. That weight is about 140kgs/310lbs for me. So keep the sets within 10-15lbs of each other once you get about 285?

Yeah I definitely think the quad was lingering from the race. I repositioned my landmine so I am going to add some significant weight to the rows. I might even start doing a 5/3/2 rep scheme with them?

About the percentages it's varies greatly for me. For the bench I tried 80 kgs which is likely at exactly 70% of my 1RM. And this felt tough. I will try to hit 85kgs next week which is 75% which should be doable although I might need a little more time between sets. Oddly enough I can easily crank out 3 sets of close grip bench press at the same weight with less trouble.
The press at 40kgs is only a paltry 60-65% of my 1RM. But it was definitely close to fatigue at my eighth rep.

So I'm not sure, frickin Poliquin, now I need to up my loads. Oh and my cheat curls have been fun too. time to add a little weight to those too.

Alright I'll add a little more commentary. Basically the layout of the plan is:

Mon
Heavy: Bench & Back
Assistance: Shoulders & Curls
Heavy Farmers walks

Wed
Heavy Deadlifts
~Heavy Squats

Fri
Heavy: Shoulders & Back
Assistance: Chest & Curls/Back
Medium Power Cleans

I agree I think its important to be cautious as you work your way back up. I don't necessarily see a reason as to why you can't make regular jumps to get you in the weight region you were before. I would refrain from making large jumps in one day. I think the big jumps work until you get to that marginal weight where 5 or 10 lbs. requires more significant effort. That weight is about 140kgs/310lbs for me. So keep the sets within 10-15lbs of each other once you get about 285?

Yeah I definitely think the quad was lingering from the race. I repositioned my landmine so I am going to add some significant weight to the rows. I might even start doing a 5/3/2 rep scheme with them?

About the percentages it's varies greatly for me. For the bench I tried 80 kgs which is likely at exactly 70% of my 1RM. And this felt tough. I will try to hit 85kgs next week which is 75% which should be doable although I might need a little more time between sets. Oddly enough I can easily crank out 3 sets of close grip bench press at the same weight with less trouble.
The press at 40kgs is only a paltry 60-65% of my 1RM. But it was definitely close to fatigue at my eighth rep.

So I'm not sure, frickin Poliquin, now I need to up my loads. Oh and my cheat curls have been fun too. time to add a little weight to those too.
OK, I get the organization now. That's a nice split. How do you like the Power Cleans? Have you mastered the technique? My one concern is that with my bad technique, I use too much arm, not enough leg, and that final twisting motion puts some stress on my shoulder. I might just wait until my presses and upper body pulls are stronger before I try them again. Right now it's a lot of fun just doing the big slow lifts. Have you ever do the Oly lifts?

Yah, my only real concern is whether or not I'll get a little warning if I'm lifting too much. Yesterday I felt a little something at 215, but it's hard to tell what it was. I lifted two sets of five reps anyway, and everything was fine. I think I'll just focus on getting the squats heavier for another month or two and not worry too much about my light deadlifts, then maybe start pushing them again in the summer? That will have been 4-5 months of healing, and regular practice of the movement. The squats feel pretty strong these days and there's no indication whatsoever of any issue in the glute while doing those, so I'll shift the lower body goal from a four-plate deadlift to a three-plate squat for a while, counting on a fair amount of carryover from the squat to the deadlift in the meantime.

I'm also beginning to get ambitions toward a three-plate bench and two-plate overhead press. Don't know if that's feasible, but there's plenty to obsess about beside the deadlift while I build it up slowly. It's just that the deadlift is easily the best lift for overall strength development, it seems to me, so it's a little frustrating not getting in that final blast at the end of the workout.

I think I hurt myself initially at 290, and then a month later at 270, so applying your advice, maybe in the short term I'll just try to get the deadlift up to 3x3x265 and then tie it into squat increases, pound for pound, without worrying about the ratio.

Interesting you've noticed variation in the percentages. I've only done one high-rep day so far, so it's hard to tell for sure, but I think the more muscle mass involved, the more fatiguing each additional rep is. So high-rep squats should be harder than high-rep presses, it seems to me.

In any case, I think with the higher reps sets, it might not be strength issue for us, but rather conditioning, since, at least for me, this is new territory. I've always been a 1-to-5-rep kinda guy. So I'm going to stick with the percentages and see if I don't build up greater stamina. It should come quickly if that's the issue. But yeah, 8-10 reps is harder than I thought it would be. See what happens on Wednesday.

I've liked curls in the past. I might add some cheat or power curls in at some point, along with some triceps work, as assistance to the upper body pulls and presses, although I don't feel like my arms are at all a limiting factor. With your split I can see how adding in arm work makes sense though.

I do like the cheat dumbbell rows, that's for sure. Doing them strict is good too, but I like how the cheating style brings in the whole torso and some leg drive, and then the heavier weight made possible by the cheat really works the lats in the second half of the pull.

Holy crap I'm sore today, and slept like a corpse last night.

Hi Lee, with the deadlifts, the main thing IMHO is to practice to get the starting position right. Often, you will raise the butt to fast due to not enough power in the legs, and then expect the lower back to do the work. Possible, but dangerous. Maintaing the correct back angle during the lift off from the ground is the key for me. Usually, this means to start lower than what you are used to. I use the back angle as monitor for the deadlift. When I get that feeling that I am lifting the weight mainly with my lower back, I set it down again. It is just not worth it. Not to mention those attempts when the weight just won't come off the floor, and you continue your motion upwards. Ouch.

And BTW, you will get stronger at 65%-80% of max, too. No need to go for those dangerous high-risk 1RM singles. But of course, they can be fun :) ...

Any, just my 2 cent.

Hi Lee, with the deadlifts, the main thing IMHO is to practice to get the starting position right. Often, you will raise the butt to fast due to not enough power in the legs, and then expect the lower back to do the work. Possible, but dangerous. Maintaing the correct back angle during the lift off from the ground is the key for me. Usually, this means to start lower than what you are used to. I use the back angle as monitor for the deadlift. When I get that feeling that I am lifting the weight mainly with my lower back, I set it down again. It is just not worth it. Not to mention those attempts when the weight just won't come off the floor, and you continue your motion upwards. Ouch.

And BTW, you will get stronger at 65%-80% of max, too. No need to go for those dangerous high-risk 1RM singles. But of course, they can be fun :) ...

Any, just my 2 cent.
Thanks for the input Christian. I have no idea really if my technique is good. It's not something I've analyzed very much. So thanks for the tips. I guess I'm relying on previous athletic experience to guide me. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it the way you describe, and I'm pretty confident my back is set right with neutral spine and not rounding, but it's worth re-examining my technique to make sure. The muscle pulls have actually come in the second half of the lift, after the leg drive has established upward momentum, when I'm straightening up and going for the lockout, and the pull is in the glute/sacroiliac area, and not the lumbar region. I'm still mostly convinced that the problem was lack of warm-up, but now that I have this issue, and have no idea whether or not it's healed, I think your suggestion of keeping things to under 80% max is a good one. My 1RM from last summer was 355 (161 kgs), so 75% max would be about 265 (120kgs), which I'm pretty sure I can do in a few weeks' time without undue risk. Yesterday doing five reps at 215 (98kgs --apologies for using our antiquated measurements in pounds) I got the beginnings of a good pump, so another 50 pounds should be adequate to progress, as you suggest.

For the last six months or so, until last week, I've been avoiding singles on all my lifts, so I'm used to measuring progress off 3RMs and 5RMs. I could adopt this approach permanently for the deadlift, as you suggest. It might not be worth the risk of ever doing 1RM deadlifts again.

If I post a few video captures, would you be willing to have a look at my technique?

Sure, no problem. Another good idea is to put an old mirror to your side in your gym, so you can take a look at what you are really doing, at least with sub-maximal lifts. That way, you can monitor yourself better. Ideally, you would have another mirror in front. But ultimately, you need to learn how a correct lift feels as compared to a "bad" one.

Again, if you have a CrossFit box in your neighbourhood, you could pay a visit, and try to find somebody who might coach you. Usually, there will be some experienced lifters there, who will be more than willing to help.

Jim Schmitz has a terrific video on the different lifts - how to do them - and - oh my god - it is now available on Youtube -
- wow ... that gives me pause. I have ordered that thing from the US many years ago ... this is really, really good to learn the technique of the various lifts. He explains and demoes them all. I would really recommend to watch / record that video. It is priceless.

Have fun!

Power cleans rock, I forgot how much I like them. 60kgs is very light so I like to think I have decent form. Once I get past the 80kgs point is where I need to focus on form more, I'll try to get there in a couple of weeks and see, that's where the hip drive gets more important. I did a little Olympic lifting back a few years ago but I got bored of it.

Definitely some more soreness from the higher rep sets I think. Kind of an interesting effect and some consideration especially when it comes to race week for me. The curls are mainly just a vanity lift for me, but I do think they have some good postural training as well. I think its probably good to offset heavy benches with curls too.

Yeah same here with the ambitions a 4 plate DL, 3 plate bench and squat, but I'd be happy with a BW press. 225 is way out of my ability.

Sure, no problem. Another good idea is to put an old mirror to your side in your gym, so you can take a look at what you are really doing, at least with sub-maximal lifts. That way, you can monitor yourself better. Ideally, you would have another mirror in front. But ultimately, you need to learn how a correct lift feels as compared to a "bad" one.

Again, if you have a CrossFit box in your neighbourhood, you could pay a visit, and try to find somebody who might coach you. Usually, there will be some experienced lifters there, who will be more than willing to help.

Jim Schmitz has a terrific video on the different lifts - how to do them - and - oh my god - it is now available on Youtube -
- wow ... that gives me pause. I have ordered that thing from the US many years ago ... this is really, really good to learn the technique of the various lifts. He explains and demoes them all. I would really recommend to watch / record that video. It is priceless.

Have fun!
I have a cheap mirror, but it's hard to get a good side view with the plates in the way. Like you say, I've been going by feel, and since I've done a wide variety of athletic things in my life, I think I have a good notion of what constitutes the basics in athletic posture and movement. I've kind of self-taught myself Rippetoe's technique for the low-bar squat, and although it took a few months to get it down, it feels super stable and balanced now. The deadlift is quite a bit easier, technique-wise, and I've been doing it longer. Like you say, the main thing is maintaining good spine position and rigidness. I think I've also successfully self-corrected my bench press technique recently, which has cleared up a little shoulder pain I used to always get the next day after bench pressing. I have a friend who used to own a gym where a lot of serious powerlifters and bodybuilders used to train, so I will go to him. We were supposed to meet up last December, but then things got crazy busy for him. I agree though, the time has probably come for a professional critique of my form.

Thanks for the video, do you know whereabouts he discusses deadlift form? I'm not really interested in the Olympic lifts.
Power cleans rock, I forgot how much I like them. 60kgs is very light so I like to think I have decent form. Once I get past the 80kgs point is where I need to focus on form more, I'll try to get there in a couple of weeks and see, that's where the hip drive gets more important. I did a little Olympic lifting back a few years ago but I got bored of it.

Definitely some more soreness from the higher rep sets I think. Kind of an interesting effect and some consideration especially when it comes to race week for me. The curls are mainly just a vanity lift for me, but I do think they have some good postural training as well. I think its probably good to offset heavy benches with curls too.

Yeah same here with the ambitions a 4 plate DL, 3 plate bench and squat, but I'd be happy with a BW press. 225 is way out of my ability.
I wonder if Power Cleans would have a therapeutic effect on my Deadlifts? Maybe training a more plyometric movement using the same muscles at a lighter weight would be a useful 'active recovery' technique?

I would think if you can get up to three plates on the bench press, something close to a two-plate press should be possible, especially since you have a real strong back with your pullups and deadlifts. I've been impressed with how quickly I've been able to get my press up to 60% of my bench press. It seems like one really is a good measure of the other. Your press ratio is already good, so I don't see why progress in the bench press wouldn't also lead to progress in the overhead press.

on that video (thank you for finding it; i love the totally calm, completely old school approach), there is a quick 5 minute section at about 1:27 where he talks about back squats. naturally, he says they are the cornerstone for just about everything. i got 4 major takeaways which can be summarized as: ignore mr. rippetoe except concerning how important squats are. :)

* go as far down as is practical
* move vertically and look up/out
* there is a legitimate knee-cave trick, but don't be stupid (apparently, it is a semi-advanced thing and is primarily applicable as a really quick twitch to mix it up and get through a sticking point; i.e., not something that i should be trying anytime soon, if ever)
* if you find yourself tipping forward, hesitate and do a rotation so that your hips come back (i.e., forward) into line between the (combined) center of gravity and your connection to the ground (i have stumbled into that one independently myself, so it's nice to have your preconceived biases affirmed)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test