Concurrent Strength & Endurance Training 2016: Cycle III

I am kind of losing my morning mojo and keep running into scheduling conflicts, was thinking about going to a more frequent lifting schedule in the evening. Maybe back to a two lift a day type plan for a while. Maybe I'll give it a try next week. Any thoughts?

Nice that's pretty cool actually, how much room do you have to push?

I always felt the most benefit going heavier but shorter, especially if you are restricted indoors. You can use it as a warm up (lighter) or a finishing lift (heavier).
It's a pretty good space. I'm bad at estimating distances, but maybe 15-20 yards?

I would probably be using it as a finisher, seems to make most sense to me to do aerobic stuff before lifting, but conditioning after.

Any thoughts on technique? Or is it pretty straghtforward? Looks easy, but I've learned a lot about basic barbell lifts over the last few years, so maybe prowling is the same.
I am kind of losing my morning mojo and keep running into scheduling conflicts, was thinking about going to a more frequent lifting schedule in the evening. Maybe back to a two lift a day type plan for a while. Maybe I'll give it a try next week. Any thoughts?

Well, I haven't been able to put anything into practice this year, so I hesitate to suggest anything, but my plan has been to adopt a few lifts, greater frequency protocol too, so I think it could work for you.

I want to try a simple A/B alternation, so if I miss a day, it's no big deal. Something like:

A
Aerobic (cycling)
Squat
Overhead Press
Pull-up

B
Conditioning (hills or prowler or intervals on a rower)
Deadlift
Row
Bench Press

If I miss more than a few days, then I do A even if I did it in my last workout, because I value those lifts the most.

I'm also going to try low reps for a while, just 2-3, maybe EMOM like you've done. I have a hunch that low reps will work better with higher frequency training. The idea is keep daily intensities pretty constant for all fitness modalities, with minimal recovery necessary, and just let consistency work its magic.

I was going to start every day with cycling, but it's too boring to do on a daily basis, although I'm going to try to commute more on my bike.

Been walking to the park barefoot a lot. Surprisingly, my plantar calluses are still relatively intact.

It's a pretty good space. I'm bad at estimating distances, but maybe 15-20 yards?

I would probably be using it as a finisher, seems to make most sense to me to do aerobic stuff before lifting, but conditioning after.

Any thoughts on technique? Or is it pretty straghtforward? Looks easy, but I've learned a lot about basic barbell lifts over the last few years, so maybe prowling is the same.

Well, I haven't been able to put anything into practice this year, so I hesitate to suggest anything, but my plan has been to adopt a few lifts, greater frequency protocol too, so I think it could work for you.

I want to try a simple A/B alternation, so if I miss a day, it's no big deal. Something like:

A
Aerobic (cycling)
Squat
Overhead Press
Pull-up

B
Conditioning (hills or prowler or intervals on a rower)
Deadlift
Row
Bench Press

If I miss more than a few days, then I do A even if I did it in my last workout, because I value those lifts the most.

I'm also going to try low reps for a while, just 2-3, maybe EMOM like you've done. I have a hunch that low reps will work better with higher frequency training. The idea is keep daily intensities pretty constant for all fitness modalities, with minimal recovery necessary, and just let consistency work its magic.

I was going to start every day with cycling, but it's too boring to do on a daily basis, although I'm going to try to commute more on my bike.

Been walking to the park barefoot a lot. Surprisingly, my plantar calluses are still relatively intact.

Yeah then I would probably go heavy and push one way then limit rest to 10-15 sec then turnarond and go the other. Or go back and forth a few times.

You will figure out what position works best for you some bend the elbows, I like them extended. I don't think there is bad form to be honest. You might want to wear shoes depending on the surface. Traction might be an issue.

Funny your idea was very similar to what I was thinking as well. I think I might add in a little variety to the lower work and just do heavy DL's every other week. I did some step ups and hip thrusts and I think I might add these in on a regular basis. Something to think about the EMOM routine might be worthwhile for only one lift for the day. Like squats doing 15 sets of 2 or 10 of 3 would be a pretty intense workout.

Other wise I will try to keep reps low like you said 15 at the workset max and just work the 5rep range for a while. I'll try to layout the plan in excel and post in a bit.

Things were feeling easy so I pushed a little, 160 was tough but went up quick. I think I had 5 more kgs in me but figured I would stop as there is no reason to push right now. 20kgs isn't that far away!

I don't like the 5 rep pattern with DL's my form gets ugly after 3.
Oh crap, I'm months away from recovering my DL. Good thing you're racing. I still have a chance to win the long-postponed 400-pound DL contest, but only if you slack.

I haven't done it consistently yet, but I'm liking the 2-3 rep protocol, with more sets if need be. So easy to recover from, and easier to maintain good form. Mentally quite easy too.

Oh crap, I'm months away from recovering my DL. Good thing you're racing. I still have a chance to win the long-postponed 400-pound DL contest, but only if you slack.

I haven't done it consistently yet, but I'm liking the 2-3 rep protocol, with more sets if need be. So easy to recover from, and easier to maintain good form. Mentally quite easy too.

Ha, I am totally motivated and am going to push it this year I think. Seems like 195 is the perfect weight to maintain strength gains and keep running decently. Now I need to lose the rest of the flab and make it muscle!

I have a tentative draft of next cycles plan, its basically of higher frequency wender plan. On day three and its going pretty well so far. I'll post it later when I have access to it.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090