concern or no concern... that is the ?

snowshoe_hare

Barefooters
Apr 4, 2010
Background: I ran a 15K race two weekends ago wearing my VFF KSOs running on pavement and gravel roads... Oh, I pushed the jogger stroller with my daughter too.. and it was VERY hilly... Needless to say, I was quite sore the next day(s). However, my soreness was nothing severe or out of the ordinary. My feet and calves were quite fatigued and became tight, but other muscles groups were Ok.

Culprit?: While recovering the following week, I made the "big push" to finish remodelling our downstairs bathroom. Installing the ceramic tile floor required a great deal of squatting and pressure on my feet.

Issue: This combo of recover from a tough race and floor installation seems to have STRAINED my left foot. The soreness began in my left arch on the inside of my foot. Since then it is more sore on the top and back towards the ankle.

Concern or No Concern?: So, I've had MANY running injuries, and so, I dailed things back and rested a bit. I did not take any days off running, just reduced mileage (I was scheduled a rest week anyway). This soreness/pain IS NOT present or noticable while running. It was noticable while walking and first thing in the morning. It IS TENDER to the touch [but it has gotten better].

I'm at a bit of a loss... more recovery/rest... no running... OR continue the scheduled programming...

Any questions, comments, concerns, arguments???

I'd rest. 

I'd rest. Early-in-the-season injuries can become a lingering issue. It's always better to take it easy for a few days than risk creating something that will become a perpetual problem. In all likelihood, it's just a mild soft tissue injury that will heal quickly.

I say rest.   I know it's

I say rest. I know it's hard, but it will be worth it. Trust me I know we all hate to hear the word rest, especially me. I agree with Jason, sounds like a tissue injury. These rests we take from injuries are a blessing in disguise at times, you come back feeling really strong.

This soreness/pain IS NOT

This soreness/pain IS NOT present or noticable while running. It was noticable while walking and first thing in the morning.

This sounds just like Plantar Fasciitis (PF), exactly like PF. PF is both a running and a non-running injury. It's possible you got this while working around the house; it's also possible that you got this while running. I hope it's not PF though because it can take a lot to get over. Whatever you do, be sure you gently and continuously (as often as is possible) stretchm stretch your calf, Achilles, and plantar fascia. Any exercise that points your toes to you knees will work. You can also wear a splint at night to keep your foot/leg in an "L" shape.

Thank you guys for the

Thank you guys for the advise...

TJ, I've had PF problems (though minor) in the past... It does not feel like PF, because it's more on the side and top...

I pulling the "take it easy card," and maybe just a couple of miles this weekend or some kind of super- cardio cross-training...

Adam, I TOTALLY agree that one can come back even stronger... and

Jason, you are right too, better to nip it in the bud, eh?!?!

I definitely don't want to mess up summer/fall trail running..........................

Thank you all again....

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts