Coming back after a cough/upper respiratory infection

giry76

Barefooters
May 4, 2011
I feel like I have been sick for a month and in truth it has been close to that. Started with a cold that turned into a deep cough. I know the rule of thumb that if it is neck or above you are probably okay to run but it if is in the chest you should rest. Well it has been almost 2 weeks of no running and my inner monologue sounds something like this:

"I have been off for so long. It is going to suck to "start again". Maybe I pushing myself too soon since I still have the cough...."

Basically I have a pretty good base of running. Not far or fast, but all winter I was running 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week. So I know I won't be starting from scratch. I guess the real question is this: Do I wait till the cough is mostly gone before running again?

I had a low-grade fever on

I had a low-grade fever on Sunday for about 6 hours and have been coughing ever since. I didn't run on Monday, for the first time in 13 days, but otherwise my week has been normal and I expect to get my usual 60+ miles in - just a little slower than usual!

Try a gentle run and see how you feel.

Don't forget to take it easy.

I agree with Chris.  Go for

I agree with Chris. Go for one slow, short, easy run to see how it treats you, then reassess. Get well!

I was out for 6 to 8 weeks

I was out for 6 to 8 weeks with a bad cough this winter. Pulled or tore the intercostal muscles on both sides of my ribs. I tried running several times during that period, but couldn't really get more than a half mile. Finally, I just surrendered til I was well again. Rest up, get healthy and then come back strong!

I got sick right before

I got sick right before IBRD.. I ran the 5K anyway.. but since then it moved south.. and I've run a few times, but most of them have been cut short because I couldn't breathe well.. so I switched and walked the rest of the distance.. it's why I'm thinking about pulling out of the sunburst 10K, I haven't run more than 2 miles since IBRD.. but I'm hoping to hit more distance today finally...

Like the others said, go out

Like the others said, go out and tried it slowly of course and see how you feel. I think the worst is over by now so you should be fine.