Colorado Get Together

bubba hotep

Barefooters
Nov 29, 2011
I am looking to get out to Colorado in the late summer time frame for 4 - 7 days and would love to hook up with some fellow runners who know the ropes. I don't have an specific destination in mind but want to do some major vert and hit the high country. I have gone for years and years during the winter to snowboard and have never had an issue with the altitude. However, I know that running is a different beast, so it would help if you are slow or don't mind power hiking or waiting for me :eek:

Edited to Add: I would be even more stoked if you had a corner of floor space for me to crash on!

We will be getting a new module on the site that will enable messages like this to be sent to the members once posted in a chapter, so once you see that (I'll let you all know), please feel free to post in the Colorado Chapter at that time. You will get more interest that way. Have fun out there!

We'll be there for Grand Mesa and Trans Rockies this summer... and possibly more for some REI clinics. I should know about the clinics in a few days. I think Abide will be there most of the summer (at least Leadville). Do you have a time frame?

I'm am still working the details. The wife and kids are heading out to San Diego for a week but that depends on what school her friends daughter gets into for kindergarten.... holy cow that is a whole other thread. Anyway, once she knows that and has a start date then our plans will fall in place. It will be in August for sure but don't know the dates yet. I am open to anything and it would be awesome to hangout at a race. I will be driving and having a car will give me a lot of flexibility.

We will be getting a new module on the site that will enable messages like this to be sent to the members once posted in a chapter, so once you see that (I'll let you all know), please feel free to post in the Colorado Chapter at that time. You will get more interest that way. Have fun out there!

Thanks TJ! The main reason that I posted this in the Ultra sub is b/c I will be looking for some big vert /mileage. Assuming of course that my body can adjust to the altitude.

That's fine. I just wanted you to know how to reach a bunch more Coloradians.

I'll be out there the last week of August. Let me know if you want to go out for a run or two or six then. I usually stick around Clear Creek County for my runs, it's high and the trails are good but not well traveled. I would offer you the couch but we are having a family reunion that week and it has already been reserved by a sibling, sorry!

I also might be out in the Breck area two weeks before that, but it's still tentative. The Leadville 100 thing is also tentative, I need to call the RD to verify that I can still register. If not I will likely still be up there too watch though, and maybe crew/pace someone. I think that is the weekend of the 18th/19th.

I'll be out there the last week of August. Let me know if you want to go out for a run or two or six then. I usually stick around Clear Creek County for my runs, it's high and the trails are good but not well traveled. I would offer you the couch but we are having a family reunion that week and it has already been reserved by a sibling, sorry!

I also might be out in the Breck area two weeks before that, but it's still tentative. The Leadville 100 thing is also tentative, I need to call the RD to verify that I can still register. If not I will likely still be up there too watch though, and maybe crew/pace someone. I think that is the weekend of the 18th/19th.
Awesome, I'll see how it shakes out but it would be very cool to run with someone with some knowledge of the area. I'll know a lot more once the wife has booked her trip to San Diego. Also, I'll be looking to sample every possible Colorado beer!

That is SO sad, Jason! Colorado is one of the most beautiful states I have traveled through (several times). I feel sad about this.

After the wildfires, will there be any runnable trails? Jesse Scott just sent me a pic of Boulder... Green and Bear Mountain are burning right now.
Yeah, it doesn't appear to be that much overall acreage burning but it is burning in some of the worst possible places. Hopefully the weather breaks in their favor sooner than later.

Ok, it is looking like I am going to be sent out of the country for a bit for work. I am going to try and come back through San Diego around the 10th/11th and spend a day or two with the family and hit up Stone before flying on to Denver. I won't have a car but will probably rent a car. I'm kind of thinking of driving down to Leadville and try to summit Mt Elbert and Mt Massive. Then work my way back towards Boulder to visit Avery and, oh yeah, run some of the trails around there. Then try to make it up to Ft. Collins to visit New Belgium - probably just an afternoon trip with no running attached.

I'll be back in the state from the 12th to the 19th for Trans-Rockies. Here's the route and dates:

http://transrockies-run.com/gore-tex-transrockies-run-event-info/route-stages-maps/

And a map:

TRR12_Packet_Overview_Map_8x17-copy.jpg

Yes, I was too lazy to compile that. :)

It looks like running in the Boulder area might be pretty much shut down for the summer (based on some blog reports I am seeing). There really aren't any impressive peaks in that area that are attainable for a newbie, so that probably works out for the best. Although, it would be cool just to bum around that area, have a few beers and see what the scene is all about.

It looks like Leadville would be a good place to setup camp with there being numerous options for gaining summits via Class 1 and 2 routes.

I'd spend some time down in the San Juans if you can make it too. Ouray/Silverton/Telluride are all awesome. There are some great places in the Aspen area too. Hell it's great anywhere up in the mountains. I probably won't know if I will be up there that week until the end of the month but I'll keep you posted. I should be right in the area and may possibly have an extra couch then...

I'd spend some time down in the San Juans if you can make it too. Ouray/Silverton/Telluride are all awesome. There are some great places in the Aspen area too. Hell it's great anywhere up in the mountains. I probably won't know if I will be up there that week until the end of the month but I'll keep you posted. I should be right in the area and may possibly have an extra couch then...
If you have an extra couch then I'll be in whatever area that couch is! Let me know what San Diego area beers you are craving and I'll pack an extra suitcase and we can do a beer for couch trade. I looked at the San Juans but that would be haul from DIA. I'm thinking Grays and Torreys one day, since that looks like a nice easy double. Elbert one day or maybe even a double Elbert and then maybe some combo of Democrat, Lincoln, and Bross. I'll have a tent with me but am kind of nervous about camping out b/c of bears.