College Track and Field Barefoot

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Barefoot Barefeet, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Just got a direct message reply back from Mary. She will not compete barefoot this spring. She will start barefoot training this summer and will start doing barefoot races in the fall for cross country.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Another update:

Just found out on her page on the "Save IG" site that Mesa Community College barefoot running sensation Quin Johnson has announced that she will transfer to D1 school Texas A&M-Corpus Christi for her final 2 years of college. She will compete on the cross country and track teams there and will do so in her bare feet as well!

A picture of her signing the letter of intent is posted on the BRS Facebook page.
    Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is nicknamed the Islanders and they compete in the Southland Conference.

bfsailor and Barefoot TJ like this.
  3. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Results from last week:

Lisha van Onselen(Coastal Carolina) Sat out East Carolina meet for precautionary health reasons (asthma)

Joanna Topham(Hawkeye CC) - Cornell(IA) Invite: 2nd in women's 1500 (4:51.88) and won women's 5000 (18:56.55). Wore shoes due to cooler temps.

Alayna Kollasch (Hawkeye CC) - Cornell College Invite: 2nd in women's 800 (2:28.89). Wore shoes due to cooler temps.

Nokuthula Dlamini (Texas Tech) - Texas A&M Reveille Invite: Won women's 3000 meter steeplechase (10:35.98) & women's 5000 (17:09.88). Wore shoes for safety reasons.

Quin Johnson(Mesa) - Sun Angel Classic: 25th overall in a big field in women's 1500 (4:45.87) - Barefoot.

Ikageng Gaorenkwe (Central Arizona) - Sun Angel Classic: 5th in men's 5000 (14:40.15) - Barefoot.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  4. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Only update from this past weekend (April 12-13):

Mesa's Quin Johnson ran solo in the women's 5000 meters race on Friday (4/12) in the Mesa Invite. She ran a time of 17:50.59 (Barefoot of course) and qualified for the outdoor nationals track meet in May.

Central Arizona's Ikageng Gaorenkwe withdrew from the men's 1500 meter race at the UC San Diego invite, staying back in Arizona to have some knee discomfort checked out. Not sure when he will compete next.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

I wish I could run that fast! My best 5K time was like 29 minutes-ish.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  6. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

BREAKING:

Just happened - At the Azusa Pacific Bryan Clay Invitational late Thursday night (4/18), Texas Tech's Nokuthula Dlamini finished 8th in her heat in the women's 5000 meters event ( She ran in the second fastest heat of the 8 heats based on qualifying time; heat 1 had fastest qualifiers & heat 8 the slowest qualifiers). Her time of 16:30.82 placed her in the top 35 finishers out of some 250 finishers overall. She set a personal best time by 39 seconds!
    And, yes, she ran her heat in her BARE FEET!!

Post race photo of her and her bare feet are going up on the Facebook and Messenger pages.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  7. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Have an update on a previous post:

Texas Tech's Nokuthula Dlamini recently ran a time of 17:09.88 in the women's 5000 meters event at the Texas Relays meet two weeks ago. I mentioned that she ran in shoes. Turns out a picture on the team's website shows that Nokuthula was competing barefoot in that race. It means that she has now run her last two 5000 meter races in bare feet!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  8. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Medical update:

Coastal Carolina's Lisha van Onselen has medically redshirted the remainder of the track season due to recurring asthma issues. Just read this news from her coach (Zola Pieterse) via Messenger. She will be back competing barefoot in cross country in the fall.

9. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Late Thursday night (5/2):

NJCAA Region 1 track meet at Mesa,AZ -

In her last home meet at Mesa Community College (before her upcoming transfer to Texas A&M Corpus Christi in fall), Quin Johnson and her bare feet dominated the women's 800 and 1500 meter races. She won both races and set national qualifying times in both (800 - 2:16.49) (1500 - 4:42.53).

Videos of both finishes, along with the 1500 start and laps 2 & 3 of her 1500 race are on her IG page as well as on Save IG. I got all the vids off of Save IG and will post them on both Facebook and Messenger on Friday( 5/3) or Saturday (5/4).

I would be remissed if I did not mention it, but Quin was named the most outstanding performer of the meet ( She got a BIG plaque for this!). I will post that pic as well on the Facebook and Messenger pages.

Will have more coming up this weekend as well.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  10. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Amazing runner!

Shame you can post all the videos and pictures here. Why is that again?

11. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

My android device does not have the capability to upload photos or videos to this site at all.

12. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

You don't have a computer? My Android does allow me to.

13. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I do not have a computer. My parents have a laptop, but they use it for their own purposes ( They do not allow me access to it).
    I have an Android tablet only for personal use.

14. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Update elsewhere:

Nokuthula Dlamini (Texas Tech) - Won the women's 3000 meter steeplechase (10:59.97) and the women's 5000 meters (17:37.66) on April 26 at the Corky Crofoot Invitational meet. Steeplechase in spikes and 5000 in bare feet.
    Was originally entered in the women's 1500 at this week's Masked Rider Open meet, but was withdrawn prior to the race start due to load management reasons ahead of the Big 12 conference meet.

Central Arizona's Ikageng Gaorenkwe won the men's 5000 meter race on May 2nd at the NJCAA regional track meet in Arizona, running barefooted in a time of 15:25.53.

More coming in a couple weeks with the JUCO outdoor nationals meet as well as the Big 12 conference meet.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  15. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Big 12 conference meet report from last week:

Texas Tech's Nokuthula Dlamini finished 4th in the women's 3000 meter steeplechase in a time of 10:34.94. Also finished 4th in the women's 5000 meters in a time of 16:32.12. Spikes for both races - checked the FloTrack video page from the meet to verify for the 5000.

Big report coming up from NJCAA national outdoor meet in New Mexico taking place this weekend. A couple of barefooted runners competing for the last time in JUCO before heading off to new schools - Mesa's Quin Johnson and Central Arizona's Ikageng Gaorenkwe. ( Hint: Videos for one of them included for Facebook and Messenger pages)

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  16. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

I wonder how their new schools will treat their barefoot running.

17. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

NJCAA outdoor nationals:

Quin Johnson of Mesa:
    4th in the women's 1500 meter prelims 4:55.61
    3rd in the women's 1500 meter final 4:52.39
    10th in the women's 5000 meter final 19:45.35.
    All three races running barefooted!

Ikageng Gaorenkwe of Central Arizona:
    DNF in the men's 1500 meter prelims (wanted to save himself for 5000)
    5th in the men's 5000 meter final 15:36.74
    He ran barefooted in his race as well.

Also:
    Texas Tech's Nokuthula Dlamini was in consideration to compete in the women's 3000 meter steeplechase and the women's 5000 meters at the NCAA West Prelim Regional in California. Unfortunately she was not listed among the 48 competitors to race in either event according to the heat sheets, thus ending her season.

Will post videos and pics of Quin Johnson on the Facebook and Messenger pages.

bfsailor and Barefoot TJ like this.
  18. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

May have some out of season activity later this summer.

World University Games are this summer in Napoli, Italy -
    Texas Tech's Nokuthula Dlamini has been named today to the South African track and field team that will be competing.
    Hope she gets to compete barefoot in Italy at these games.

Barefoot TJ likes this.