College Track and Field Barefoot

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Barefoot Barefeet, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Update: Second day of the meet going on as scheduled.
    No other news coming from this, making it sound as if Lisha is OK and back at the meet. Was not scheduled for any events anyway today.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Update: Got an IG direct message from her friend Kelly Jo Fletcher Graves. She told me that Lisha has had issues with asthma since 2015 and that she has taken medication for it. Apparently something happened Monday night which triggered an asthma attack causing her to pass out during the race.

Lisha is OK & going about her daily life.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  3. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Great news today:

Big 12 Conference indoor track meet at Texas Tech -
    Got official confirmation from her coaches:
    Texas Tech's Nokuthula Dlamini is competing barefoot in the meet in her events.
    She qualified for the women's 1000 meters final Saturday with a personal best time of 2:51.70,good for 4th in her heat & getting the 8th and final qualifying spot. Scheduled to run anchor leg of women's DMR tonight & women's 3000 meters Saturday in addition to the women's 1000.

More information to be added later as events get done.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  4. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Women's DMR- Ran the 1600 meter anchor leg in bare feet; got bumped and pushed to ground early in leg, got up and recovered for a 5th place finish for the team in time of 11:55.09.

FloTrack Twitter page has posted a 12 second video clip of her fall.
    (Posted Saturday 11:30 AM Eastern time)

#84 Barefoot Barefeet, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  5. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Dlamini finished 5th in women's 1000 meter final:
    Time was 2:51.35 (personal best)
    3rd consecutive race with a PB.
    2 running barefooted; today's PB in spikes after hurting her bare feet falling in DMR previous night.

#85 Barefoot Barefeet, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Barefoot TJ likes this.
  6. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Dlamini finished 12th overall (9th in her heat) out of 36 finishers in the women's 3000 meter race in a time of 9:56.53.

6 runners in the two-heat event did not finish.
    12 other runners withdrew from the event because their teams were out of contention for the team title.

She ran in spikes instead of bare feet on the advice of the team training staff because she hurt her bare feet the night before in the previously reported fall in the DMR the previous night. Limped barefoot to the finish line.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  7. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

How about...? PBB = personal best barefoot :barefoot:

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  8. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

The way she has been going the last 3 meets, absolutely YES!!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  9. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Friday/Saturday (3/1-3/2):

2019 NJCAA indoor nationals track meet takes place in Pittsburg,KS.

2 competitors for sure will be competing barefoot in the meet.
    Ikageng Gaorenkwe of Central Arizona in the men's 3000.
    Quin Johnson of Mesa Community College in the women's 1000 meter race and the women's mile. Quin finished 15th last year in the 1000 running barefooted last year.

Results to come through the weekend. Iowa Central CC will also have photo galleries after the meet on their Facebook page (Iowa Central Community College Track & Field).

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  10. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Update: Ikageng Gaorenkwe of Central Arizona is also competing in the men's mile and men's 5000 meters at NJCAA indoor nationals. Yes, he will run both of these barefoot.He informed me of these two races via direct message to me tonight.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  11. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Results and surprising news from the NJCAA indoor nationals track meet in Kansas on the weekend:

Central Arizona's Ikageng Gaorenkwe - 2nd in men's 5000 (14:25.88)
    4th in men's 3000 (8:29.22)
    11th in men's mile (4:21.20)
    All 3 races barefoot.

Mesa's Quin Johnson - ran anchor leg of the women's distance medley relay which placed 5th in 12:25.35.
    2nd in prelim heat of women's 1000 meters (2:57.16)
    2nd in women's mile (5:05.60)
    5th in women's 1000 (3:03.01)
    All of this in her customary bare feet!

Now for the surprises:
    Hawkeye CC's Alayna Kollasch ran the leadoff leg of the women's distance medley relay, which set a school record with a time of 12:45.78, and the women's 1000 prelim race in her BARE FEET on day 1 ( wore spikes on day 2 in anchor leg of the 4x800 relay). (Ran 3:55.6 in DMR leadoff leg)

Hawkeye CC's Joanna Topham ran her heat in the women's 1000 meter prelims on day 1 in her BARE FEET as well and qualified for the finals with a 3rd place finish in 3:02.38. (Wore shoes for all her other events over the 2 days, including the 1000 final as she finished 9th)

Pics of these are or will be posted on Facebook and Messenger.

Barefoot TJ and bfsailor like this.
  12. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Latest from outdoor track:

Coastal Carolina's Lisha van Onselen ran the leadoff leg of the women's 4x8 relay at the Coastal Carolina Invitational (3/8) and pulled out of the women's 1500 meter race at the CCU Shamrock Invitational (3/15). Don't know if she ran the relay leg in bare feet or not. Not much info the last 2 weeks from them.

Texas Tech's Nokuthula Dlamini ran in and won the women's 3000 meter steeplechase event on Saturday (3/16) at the Abilene Christian Kittley Invitational in a time of 10:58.83. It was her first ever steeplechase event; unfortunately for safety reasons she had to run in spikes instead of bare feet in the race.

Mesa's Quin Johnson competed barefoot at the Arizona State Baldy Castillo Invitational meet. She finished 22nd in the women's 1500 meter event on Friday (3/15) in 4:47.45 and finished 12th on Saturday (3/16) in the women's 800 meter event in 2:20.00. Should be noted that she was running against some NCAA D1 competitors (Iowa, Texas A&M,Arizona State,etc.).

There might be another one, TJ, that you might be able to check on. Not sure if Quin's teammate Maggie Orr (IG: @maggieorr99) ran barefoot or not as well in the women's 1500. If there is a way that you can ask her via Instagram w/o making it sound like you are a fetish freak, that would be great!

I will post a pic of Maggie and Quin post race on Messenger to verify this somewhat.

On to next week.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  13. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

This just in, TJ:

Arizona State Track and Field Flickr photo site is posting photos from last week's Baldy Castillo Invitational meet.
    Go to page 5 of the album and there are 8 photos of Mesa's barefoot runner Quin Johnson from the women's 800 meter race on Saturday ( the photos are around 1/4 of the way down the page - have to scroll through to find them) and 2 others with her running barefooted in the background.

They are still posting more at this point.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  14. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Update: Have now posted Quin's barefooted pics on Messenger and Facebook. Album is now completely posted.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  15. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

This just in late tonight (3/21), TJ:

This performance was astounding:
    At the Distance in the Dark mini meet tonight at Mesa CC (AZ) -
    Mesa's barefoot runner Quin Johnson competed and won the women's 5000 meters (both heat 1 and overall) in a time of 18:01.81. She qualified for the outdoor nationals with this time.
    Here is the astounding part:
    She won the event by almost 96 seconds over the second place finisher!!
    2nd place time was,GET THIS, 19:37.34!! That is right!

Safe to say that Quin BLEW AWAY the field!
    Yes, running barefooted is awesome and rules!
    Quin is HOT HOT & the bomb in her BARE FEET!

Barefoot TJ and bfsailor like this.
  16. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

And everyone there saw that she won it in bare feet! Hmmm. Maybe there's something to this barefoot running things after all...they're all thinking. Good job Quin!

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  17. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Saturday (3/23):

Barefoot Quin Johnson of Mesa was back on the track competing at the Arizona State Invitational meet in the women's 1500 meters as a last minute entrant. She finished 13th out of 16 runners in a personal best time of 4:44.90 while competing against runners mostly from Big 10 schools Indiana and Penn State and host Arizona State.

Texas Tech's Nokuthula Dlamini, Coastal Carolina's Lisha van Onselen, and Central Arizona's Ikageng Gaorenkwe all sat out their teams' respective meets this weekend for "load management" reasons.(That is rest,TJ, in case you are confused by the term)

bfsailor and Barefoot TJ like this.
  18. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Weekend update for March 30th:

Coastal Carolina's Lisha van Onselen competed in the women's 5000 meter event at the Raleigh Relays in North Carolina hosted by North Carolina State. She finished last overall (125th) with a time of 18:56.44.
    Here's some information about this from her coach Zola Budd Pieterse:
    Lisha wore spikes in the race and she will be going to see a doctor this coming week to find out what is causing her recent asthma issues. They led to this recent poor finish. Zola sent this to me via Facebook as she is now among the list of friends on my Facebook page.

Elsewhere,Texas Tech's Nokuthula Dlamini competed at the Texas Relays meet, finishing 5th in the women's 3000 meter steeplechase with a time of 10:40.03, which was 18 seconds faster than her last and only other race.
    (Wore shoes)
    She also ran the anchor leg of the women's distance medley relay which finished 4th in a time of 11:45.98. Her DMR teammate Jessica Gallardo told me in a DM that she ran this in shoes as well.

At the Arizona Community College championship meet:
    Central Arizona's Ikageng Gaorenkwe ran barefooted to a 2nd p!ace finish in the men's 5000 meters with a time of 15:54.80.
    Mesa's Quin Johnson and her customary bare feet won the women's 800 meters in a time of 2:19.03, qualifying her for the outdoor nationals meet next month. She also finished 2nd in the women's 5000 meters (Barefoot) in a time of 19:20.18.

Hopefully, I will be able next week to get an update on Lisha's health situation.Possible that she may be out for a meet or two,depending on how the tests come out. Will send a post to Zola for an update this week.

bfsailor and Barefoot TJ like this.
  19. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Have an update:

There may be an addition to the list of barefoot runners this weekend if all goes well.
    I now have a runner from Pima CC following me on Instagram. Her name is Mary Siml and she is the second best runner on the team.
    Here is the story:
    I sent a DM to her asking if Mesa's Maggie Orr was wearing shoes or not in her 2 distance races after seeing that she posed for a post meet pic with her sandals on her bare feet.
    Mary told me back that Orr wore shoes and she asked me why I asked. I replied to her that I was just wondering based on the aforementioned post race pic. She then asked me in a DM what she needed to do because she was thinking about competing barefoot instead of her usual shoes. I explained everything to her and she DM'd me back saying that she liked my explanation and that she now wants to compete barefoot in a race.
    I told her to go for it and that I will support her in the effort.
    I have now DM'd her asking if she will run barefoot this weekend at a meet at Arizona State. Waiting for a response back from her.

Hoping that Mary will do this barefooted race thing! She seems like a good person about this!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  20. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Have another update:

There will be another cross country/track runner competing in college barefoot starting this fall.

Ohio HS runner Amanda McDonough will be running for Cornell University in New York as a "walk-on". She was accepted to the school, but they have no extra scholarship at this time. She will run cross country and track at the school and compete in bare feet. She does barefoot runs on her own outside her HS team practices. She loves running barefooted. BTW,she can't run barefoot for her HS team due to national rules requiring shoes for meets.

Looking forward to tracking her college career.
    Oh, before I forget, I found all this out via a e-mail exchange with her.

Barefoot TJ likes this.