College Track and Field Barefoot

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Barefoot Barefeet, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I'll start a thread to see how many current or former college runners competed in track and field in bare feet.

Here are some to start out:

Lisha van Onselen Coastal Carolina (current)
    Marijean Wegert. Grace College(Indiana)
    Rachel Fehring. Grace College(Indiana)
    Letitia Saayman. Coastal Carolina ( 1 meet in her freshman year)
    Rebekah Phillips. DeAnza CC(California)

If anyone knows of anyone else who can be added to the list, please reply accordingly.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I'll add a couple names to the list:

Sonel Bezuidenhout (Harris) - barefoot during outdoor season in freshman year at Tennessee Tech in 2015.

Nikki May- barefoot at Lansing Community College in Michigan from 2010 to 2012.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  3. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Looks like there will be at least 2 runners from cross country who will compete in track this outdoor season barefoot: Lisha van Onselen from Coastal Carolina and Nicole van der Merwe from South Alabama. If there are any additions and/or changes during the season, they will be put on this thread.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  4. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I am restarting this thread now that indoor season has gotten underway. I have some good news: Our pal Ikaweng from Central Arizona has informed me, TJ, that he will be competing this spring in the 3000 and 5000 meter races all season long in bare feet. His first meet barefoot is this Saturday (Jan.20th).

I'm also trying to find out if some of the XC barefooted runners are doing the same in at least indoor track this winter. Will let you know if I get word on anything, TJ. Thanks!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  5. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Good news, TJ! First barefoot sighting of track season!

South Alabama freshman Nicole van der Merwe (South Africa) competed in the women's 3000 meter race yesterday at the Vanderbilt Invitational barefooted (she actually wears white tape on the top half of her bare feet, including her toes when she runs barefoot).

Nicole finished 8th in her section and 20th overall out of nearly 40 competitors.

I have found a pic of her from the meet and will post it to the Facebook page.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  6. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Update: Ikageng just informed me via Messenger that he apparently changed his mind and competed in his 3000 meter race today with shoes after saying earlier in the week that he would run barefooted. Not sure if weather conditions in Central Arizona played a part in his decision change.

7. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

TJ, I have found another barefoot sighting this evening. South Alabama freshman Nicole van der Merwe competed today in the women's 3000 meter run at the Jaguar Invitational in her bare feet. Don't have official result yet. Will post a pic on both the Facebook and Messenger pages. Will get back to you when I see the result as to where barefooted Nicole finished.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  8. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

TJ, I just went to the South Alabama track website and clicked on the results link. Barefooted Nicole finished 5th in the women's 3000 out of a 12-woman field.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  9. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

TJ, I have some news for you. A person in Massachusetts who follows me on Instagram (his name is Eric Veneto) tells me that he has a friend who is a high school senior and competes on the girls cross country and track teams at her school who does non-school practice runs barefoot. Her name is Amanda McDonough and she is going to go to college to continue her running career(cross country and track). She hasn't picked a college yet, but she plans to compete in cross country and track BAREFOOT! She can't run HS meets or school practices barefooted due to state rules where shoes are required. I am going to try to find out more about her high school and where she will go to college. Wanted to give you a heads up about this!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  10. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Probably too late to change the state/HS's thinking about track barefoot running.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  11. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Indoor track season already underway.Outdoor season to follow.

12. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

TJ, I have some more information on Amanda. I'm actually emailing her back and forth with her friend's permission. She is actually a junior at a high school in a suburb of Mesa,AZ and will not be going to college until the fall of 2019. She has these college possibilities: Arizona,Arizona State, all of the Ivy League schools,and all of the Big 10 Conference schools. No school is the clearcut favorite at this time,according to her. ICYAW, she is not too worried about competing in shoes for another year and a half (I actually asked her if she was thinking about getting special permission to compete in bare feet during her remaining time in high school).

13. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

From yesterday, TJ. Central Arizona runner Ikaweng Gaorenkwe competed in the men's mile and the men's 3000 meter races at the Northern Arizona indoor invitational in his bare feet. He finished 4th in the mile and 3rd in the 3000. He is not sure if anyone took pics of him in the meet,according to what he told me on Instagram.Whether pics can be posted or not will depend on if any can be found.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  14. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

TJ, there could be a possible barefoot sighting early this week on the track. The Sun Belt Conference is holding their conference indoor track championship meet tomorrow and Tuesday(February 19-20) in Birmingham, AL(host team is South Alabama). Women's 3000 meter race tomorrow will probably involve South Alabama barefooted freshman Nicole van der Merwe. Coastal Carolina's Lisha van Onselen is also scheduled to compete in this meet(not sure if she will compete in bare feet or not - she has run both of her indoor meets in shoes so far). Heat sheets for the meet are not yet posted. The meet itself will live stream both days on ESPN3 on the web(must sign up to get it). The conference meet website has all info on this.There could be some pics from the meet later this week. Should be an interesting two days!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  15. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

TJ:

Heat sheets are out for Sun Belt Conference indoor conference meet:

Lisha van Onselen (Coastal Carolina) - 3000,5000, leadoff leg of distance medley relay

Nicole van der Merwe (South Alabama) - anchor leg of distance medley relay
    (not in field in 3000 or 5000)

Expect van der Merwe to run that anchor leg of the DMR barefooted, most likely.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  16. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Lisha ran all of her races in shoes and spikes.
    Trying to find out for sure,but I think Nicole ran barefooted in her event.

There are photo galleries to all the events from the meet that are being worked on.Quickest way to them is to go to the men's track site and click on the meet preview article. From there, click on the "Championship Central" link.
    On the page, scroll down through both days' schedules to end, then locate and click on the "photos" link; separate page will come up with each event. Click on event to see photos from the discipline(e.g. women's mile,women's DMR,etc.).

Hopefully photo galleries should be done within the next week or so.

17. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Nicole van der Merwe of South Alabama did run the anchor leg of the women's DMR in her bare feet, TJ.

A downloaded pic from the conference photo gallery,although blurry, does show her bare foot when examined closely.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  18. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

TJ, here is some news for this weekend:

Central Arizona's Ikageng Gaorekwe is competing this weekend at the NJCAA national indoor track meet at Lubbock,Texas. He is in the men's 3000 and 5000 meter races,both of which are being run today. He finished 2nd in the 3000 and the 5000 race is due up tonight. The meet is being live streamed ( if you are signed up) on the FloTrack website(www.flotrack.com). I think he ran the 3000 race barefoot and may go barefoot in 5000.

Also,tomorrow, South Alabama's freshman Nicole van der Merwe competes in the women's 1500 and 3000 meters races in the Jaguar Outdoor Opener meet at South Alabama. Yes,she will run both races in her bare feet. There are only 4 other runners besides Nicole in the 3000, and 9 other runners are in the field for the 1500,according to the start lists on the team's website.

Plenty of opps for pics from both meets. Will keep a eye out for them.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  19. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Update: Gaorekwe did run in his bare feet in the men's 5000 meter race. He finished 7th.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  20. Barefoot Barefeet

Barefoot Barefeet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Here is a update on South Alabama freshman Nicole van der Merwe from her meet today. She finished 2nd in the women's 3000. Official results from the women's 1500 not posted yet,but the race has been run already.

Unfortunately, Nicole was not able to run barefoot in either race(wore spikes).
    Her teammate Katelyn Cowie was kind enough to tell me immediately after on Instagram that Nicole was informed prior to the 3000 that she could not wear tape on her feet and toes and still be allowed to run barefoot. She said wearing tape on her bare feet was illegal according to NCAA rules.

Will let you know on 1500 later.