Cold Feet??

I'm in the Portland area as well and I can run down to 37-38 degrees wet barefoot after a mile warm up in my huaraches. I have run down to 31 degrees in dry barefoot. Don't think I care to run barefoot any colder than that though.

I'm on the "warm side of the Rockies" in the mountains in BC, Canada, with an average daily winter temperature of about 25-30 degrees Fahrenheit (talkin' American here). We get a lot of snow where I live, and not very much traffic, and these just-below-freezing temperatures mean that the roads are wet more often than they're not. A fair bit of traffic and/or fairly cold temperatures are required to dry roads off, and my main running route probably sees a vehicle every 10 - 15 minutes. It tends to stay wet.

So more than half of my winter running has been on wet asphalt. It makes a huge difference. I would say that wet asphalt, even if there aren't actual puddles, subtracts about 15 degrees of comfort from the temperature. The dry days at 17 degrees were as easy as the wet ones at 32. Early in the winter I stuck to above-freezing temps, but as time went on I was comfortable even on colder days. It does become easier with conditioning.

Miranda

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test