coconut milk - any good? whaddaya do with it?

I'm pretty much just posting now so I can see where this thread goes.

Btw Willie, coconut oil is AWESOME for just about everything!! I buy it from amazon.de for just under €20 a liter. Had trouble with the Hermes Paketversand, but the stuff from Ölmühle Solling is great!
Coconut oil for brownies = amazing goodness:)

Reactions: Barfuß Chelsea
bf jl, haven't tried either. next time i get to the playa i will look for it.

bf jl, haven't tried either. next time i get to the playa i will look for it.

Not sure how common they are around Tecate and/or Mexicali (Rosarito and Ensenada would be the closest beaches AFAIK), but you should really try them out. At least in Sonora and Sinaloa's beaches (which are the ones I know) coconuts with seafood are pretty standard. Coconut horchata is found in many other places within inner cities, not just close to the beach.

Hey Dama & Mike, now that you mention mexican road side coconut stands and the very common open-coconut preparations and drinks, have you ever tried the "Horchata de Coco" (it would be something like a coconut/rice drink). They're very common in coastal regions of the northern states. Even though I'm from Sonora, the best horchata de coco I've ever tasted was in a road side stand in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, that thing was delicious!!

What about the preparations also common in beach stands that combine a half-cut coconut filled with seafood and salsa? Probably not for everyone but really good if you also like seafood...
JL I haven't heard of it before but it sounds delish! I should try it at home .

I think I'll ask TJ about including "Dama" and "Zetti" into the "Blue State Chapter Filter" that I requested.o_O
Party pooper :D

my dad was just in the hospital because of a bad coconut. kidney failure and colon infection. bad. my mom and her husband i was told also got sick from eating a bad one. too bad. i love them. won't stop me from having one next trip al otro lado.

i just read a menu online for a paleo food cart. they have popsicles made of coconut mile with fruit and honey. gong to try one someday and possibly make my own.

If I'm not mistaken it was PJruns2 who was doing the lines......:eek:
.....just sayin'
Just got back from vacation with my wife. We were in Florida for 10 days. I alternated my lines each day. Odd numbered days I did a line of Oreo cookies and even numbered days were chocolate chip cookies. Funny thing is: I was planning a line of chocolate while in Coco Beach, but didn't find any chocolate there!

I think I am going to start that popular "food combinations diet". Mine will have regular days of the Milk and Cookie combo.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
So today I decided to try coconut milk in my protein shake instead of regular milk. It was surprisingly sweet, almost too much so, and left a waxy film in my mouth. Is it because I used the Silk Vanilla coconut milk? Is there better stuff to be used?

not 100% sure, but I've had Silk products before that I didn't like and I think that could well be your problem. The coconut milk I've been buying is just stuff in a can from the Asian supermarket (or the Asian section at the Western supermarket, lol). It's really intended for Thai cooking. It's fatty, not really sweet, and doesn't leave any residue in my mouth ... none that I've noticed, anyway.

So today I decided to try coconut milk in my protein shake instead of regular milk. It was surprisingly sweet, almost too much so, and left a waxy film in my mouth. Is it because I used the Silk Vanilla coconut milk? Is there better stuff to be used?
Is it sweetened? They make both sweetened and unsweetened. The unsweetened stuff didnt taste sweet at all to me.

Hello,
here is my favorite recipe with coconut milk (the white creamy unsweetened, unflavored variety):

2 high topped Tablespoons of coconut milk
1 coffee spoon of honey
1 - 1,5 coffee spoons (or more) of cocoa powder (the black version - not the chocolate drink stuff for kids, which contains mostly sugar)

Enjoy!

For a couple of years I was into coconut oil. Did everything with it: Baking, cooking, even substituting butter with it on my bread. Generally it was a good experience. Cococnut oil is metabolized by the pancreas and not, as most other fats, by the liver. So it is more easily digested.
But problems arose when I was dining out in Restaurants or being invited by friends or family: They of course would still cook with ordinary oils or butter and suddenly I had troubles to digest their food: My liver had become quite lazy with all the coconut oil and had lost it's capacity to adapt quickly to fats of all kinds.

Bringing this one back again...

I've been going through various coconut milk, almond milk, combinations of the two, flavored, plain, sweetened, etc, over the course of the year. They have all been ok, except for my very last one...

I saw cultured coconut milk for the first time, and decided to try that. Pre and probiotics sounded good to me...
coco-milk-cultured-original.png

I've had other So Delicious Coconut Milk products before, so is it the culturing and/or pre & probiotics that give it a nasty taste or did I just get a bad batch or something. I could barely choke down the bowl of granola cereal I had already poured, then the rest was a drain pour. Anyone had that kind before?

i bought a coconut at the store so i could drink some real milk. barely got two ounces out of it and then i threw it away after having such a hard time opening it. those road side vendors in Mexico make it look so much easier. i'll have a few while i'm there.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts