coconut milk - any good? whaddaya do with it?

i think coconut oil, milk, may have some laxative affects. i've only cooked with milk and drank water. fresh coconut water is best but to cut one open is not easy. at least the road side vendors in Mexico with machetes don't make it look that easy.

The coconut milk itself doesn't have the laxative effect but the water does.
Every time I go to Mexico I stuff myself with coconut flesh/water sooo delish.
Me thinks that some people is confused about the diference between coconut milk and coconut water.
Migangelo, where in Mexico?

The coconut milk itself doesn't have the laxative effect but the water does....
Me thinks that some people is confused about the diference between coconut milk and coconut water.

hmm... I'm wondering of you're maybe one of the ones confused, Dama. The water is the liquid that apills out when you crack a coconut open, the "milk" is the creamy stuff that's made by pressing the flesh (very similar to the way they make tofu/soy milk/nut milks). I know you know that, but are you saying that that water would have a laxative effect? Seems much more likely to be the fatty, creamy milk, especially when it's modified with substances to keep it from separating.

Or not? The water is the stuff that's being sold as a sports drink these days. Would be hard to market if it gave you the squirts ...

hmm... I'm wondering of you're maybe one of the ones confused, Dama. The water is the liquid that apills out when you crack a coconut open, the "milk" is the creamy stuff that's made by pressing the flesh (very similar to the way they make tofu/soy milk/nut milks). I know you know that, but are you saying that that water would have a laxative effect? Seems much more likely to be the fatty, creamy milk, especially when it's modified with substances to keep it from separating.

Or not? The water is the stuff that's being sold as a sports drink these days. Would be hard to market if it gave you the squirts ...
Actually Willie, I know that the coconut water is in fact a laxative. You have to remember that it is not just plain everyday water. That being said, if the water is a laxative I would think that the milk would be too.... I have no idea about the milk part for sure, I would just assume it would have the same effect as the water though.

hmm... I'm wondering of you're maybe one of the ones confused, Dama. The water is the liquid that apills out when you crack a coconut open, the "milk" is the creamy stuff that's made by pressing the flesh (very similar to the way they make tofu/soy milk/nut milks). Exactly! but I think that some people is confusing the coconut milk that comes from the half gallon with the one that comes from the can.
I know you know that, but are you saying that that water would have a laxative effect? Seems much more likely to be the fatty, creamy milk, especially when it's modified with substances to keep it from separating.
I am talking from my own experience, when I drink the water for fueling purposes on long runs-well I don't need to tell you, do I? Although I haven't try the milk fron the can I shoud just to see if I get the runs.
Coconut milk from the half galon I drink with no ill effects.

Or not? The water is the stuff that's being sold as a sports drink these days. Right again!
Would be hard to market if it gave you the squirts ...
Maybe is just me that reacts to it and don't know why I grew up drinking the darn thing but wait a minute! when I drink the water straight out of the coconut all goes well but when I drink the comercial water...uuuuhhhmmmm, I am suspicious now there must be some kind of chemical that my system doesn't tolerate.

i go visit my father a lot who lives in Tecate now and has an office in Mexicali. i've visited other places. my mom thought it was funny once when she had me drink some cactus juice. that was no laxative, it was a fire hose cleaning.

Reactions: NickW
Hey Willie, not read all of this in detail, but picked up on the oil for frying thing.

All oil breaks down if you overheat it, and all oil will generate those carcinogens you talk about, but so does char-grilling your steak, or toasting your bread, it's to do with the action of the heat on the food, also occurs in potato chips/crisps for example.

Extra virging oilive oil is not suitable for frying as it contains high amounts of fruit (olive) sugars which burn, so use virgin olive oil instead. The only time I've used coconut oil for cooking is in south east asian food, but I know Dr Maf espouses its use.

I take coconut water along with plain water on runs over 13miles, it really does hydrate you well, it's very noticeable. You don't need gallons of the stuff, just a small carton mid run will suffice. As far as the laxative effect goes, i haven't noticed anything but we all have different constitutions so just test it out on your training runs.

I take coconut water along with plain water on runs over 13miles, it really does hydrate you well, it's very noticeable. You don't need gallons of the stuff, just a small carton mid run will suffice. As far as the laxative effect goes, i haven't noticed anything but we all have different constitutions so just test it out on your training runs.

a note to the laxative effects.......
While learning basic Portuguese I made the fatal mistake of confusing côco and cocó
(coconut and poop).....instead of asking for coconut water I then asked for.......well you get the picture...
So I vote yes on the laxative effects....:D

Reactions: BFwillie_g
a note to the laxative effects.......
While learning basic Portuguese I made the fatal mistake of confusing côco and cocó
(coconut and poop).....instead of asking for coconut water I then asked for.......well you get the picture...
So I vote yes on the laxative effects....:D

So was the waiter able to figure out what you wanted? Or are you never going back to that restaurant again?

Though not in the beverage category, I know there's a fish taco stand on Maui that makes coleslaw using coconut milk instead of mayonnaise; I'm told it's take-your-head-clean-off good. The good news: They're opening a location in Santa Cruz.

Hey there!

I bought a can of coconut milk to try as a basis for food on the go. It's nice and thick and fatty, and tastes like heaven. So, I could get used to the stuff and I'm going to experiment and see what happens. But I figured I'd ask if anyone here has experience with the stuff, and I'd also appreciate recipe ideas (that don't involve Rum).

Tia :)
Willie:

I heard: "ya put the line in the coconut den ya drink it all up"... don't know, just heard it before and thought I'd pass it along.

Reactions: Zetti
Willie:

I heard: "ya put the line in the coconut den ya drink it all up"... don't know, just heard it before and thought I'd pass it along.
ya...but then you have to "call the doctor, wake him up"

Willie:

Hahaha, it's not the line is the lime

Reactions: Pjruns2
Hey Dama & Mike, now that you mention mexican road side coconut stands and the very common open-coconut preparations and drinks, have you ever tried the "Horchata de Coco" (it would be something like a coconut/rice drink). They're very common in coastal regions of the northern states. Even though I'm from Sonora, the best horchata de coco I've ever tasted was in a road side stand in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, that thing was delicious!!

What about the preparations also common in beach stands that combine a half-cut coconut filled with seafood and salsa? Probably not for everyone but really good if you also like seafood...

I'm pretty much just posting now so I can see where this thread goes.

Btw Willie, coconut oil is AWESOME for just about everything!! I buy it from amazon.de for just under €20 a liter. Had trouble with the Hermes Paketversand, but the stuff from Ölmühle Solling is great!

Reactions: BFwillie_g