City2Surf 2013

Spider7.png
City2Surf 2013
By Spiderweb62

Since arriving in Australia I participated in a few C2S races (6 in total), but this is my first barefoot one, and effectively my first barefoot race altogether!

City2Surf goes from the CBD to Bondi Beach, along the Sydney harbor. The biggest difficulty is called the ‘Heartbreak Hill’, and this is where the elite win or lose the race…

But for me a few minutes more does not make a big difference! I am here to enjoy the scenery (despite what the picture above seem to show!).

It is a 1.6km/5% slope, so not very steep, but sufficiently long to kill your legs. The last 2.5km are all-downhill and usually you can catch up some time there.

While most of my runs over the past 19-month have been barefoot, racing amongst a crowd of 85’000 is a bit of a scary thought, specially at the start where people go around you, and you try to go around other people, so the chance to get tramped on your feet is very high.

I arrived early enough at the start line. The previous day, I bought a pair of cheap thongs (yes, that is how we call flip-flops here in Australia!! :)) That proved very handy for the last minute visit to the facilities. :)

Spider1.png
The start line is always a very impressive place, I started in the blue category, despite my previous time would have allowed me to start with the green (2011 was not accounted for, as I ran in the wrong category and got disqualified) as you run faster, you go up in the category, and the start line gets less crowded, that will be for next year!

Yes the blue flag is the start line…and the blue category is ‘only’ 25’000 out of the 85’000. Those starting on the ‘back of the pack’ (about 45’000 runners) might have waited 45’ before crossing the starting line, but for us it was only about 5’.

Spider2.png

Spider3.png
Surrounded by shoes ! Woah ! :) This was half an hour before start, the density of shoes would become very high at start time!!!

When finally the start gun was fired, a huge cheer in the crowd and off we went !!

My first 2km were relatively slow, as there were so many ‘walkers’ that you had to go around, but everyone was very fair play, not too much pushing and tramping, so that was good.

All the way up to Heartbreak Hill, roads are packed with people, pubs have live music on their roof, it is a great atmosphere, even though we go through one of the wealthiest area of Sydney.

Spider4.png
That’s me after about 2km (no I am not stressed, I am just trying to look at the camera !! :) )

I split my race in 3.5km chunks (first one slower, then a faster one, slow again, then finish faster again).

But effectively Heartbreak Hill started at km 6.2, which means that I was off target on my second interval (the supposedly faster one).

It didn’t matter, since I managed to catch up on the last 2 intervals. Here my splits:

0-3.5km 19’19”
3.5-7km 18’37”
7-10.5km 18’29”
10.5-14km 17’13”

Don’t get fooled by the last split, it was the fastest, but all downhill!!

Spider5.png
Finish line, a lot less crowded!!! Everyone walks as the timing line was passed already; this is the medal distribution area :)

I got a few comments along the way, here a few samples:

At the bus stop, going to the city (I was still wearing my flip-flops) : “Are you going to run like that ?” – “Yes !”. Looked at me funnily.

At the start line, a lady said to me “It is lucky that lots of people are running before us, they will clear all the glass on the road” -- “Yes sure….”

A teenager running with his dad: “Barefoot! That is cool man!!!” -- “Big smile!!”

During the run, a guy overtakes me “Awesome! I love it!!!” – “High five.”

Spider6.png
This is why it is called City2Surf…We arrive at Bondi beach.

My official time was 1hr13’51”, which I am very happy with! I expected around 1hr17”. And this is my PR. I finished 612th (out of 3500) in my age category. Next year, target is 1hr10’!!!

Swiss, living Down under since 2001, and loving it ! I have been running for 20 years, but really only started barefoot seriously end of 2012, after sustaining number of injuries over the years. ACL on both knees, meniscus removed on right...
View all 3 featured items
Hi Andy,

The weather looked great for your run. I did see a bit of a news report on the run on the SA news. I would have liked to have seen coverage of the entire race but I didn't see much, I expect Fox bought up all the rights.
Adelaide has it's equivalent, the City-Bay next month, I usually wait until later for my first races of the year.
Were you pumped up with adrenaline during the run? it's sometimes hard to keep running at an even pace. I always seem to run faster in races than in training and my heart rate is way above what I train at.
Great report.

Neil

Reactions: Spiderweb62

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts