Chimera 100 - Nov. 15th, 2014

An amazing feat! Will you do another? Do you like it that much? Any photos?

Course marking sabotage? Did someone think that was funny? I think if some one did that to a marathon course I was running, I would hunt them down one way or another! Don't know what I'd do when I found them, but I would expose them!

Wow that's incredible! One tough 100 miler, no crew, missed turnaround, twisted ankle, and still finished strong! You know your an ultra runner when you get your second wind the next day! :wideeyed:

That must be a strange feeling being in the race and not seeing another runner for hours. And in the middle of the night no less. I know its hard enough mentally and physically to keep going at that point without the extra mental game that the night and solitude must play on the mind.

Hope you had some nice scenery and views!

Congrats, Rick! I've added your report and this thread to the home page. Thanks for sharing!

An amazing feat! Will you do another? Do you like it that much? Any photos?

Course marking sabotage? Did someone think that was funny? I think if some one did that to a marathon course I was running, I would hunt them down one way or another! Don't know what I'd do when I found them, but I would expose them!

I'll do another, it was a great experience. Always things to improve on, but I am in no hurry for the next one. I would like to have a good marathon coming up in January.

Always a risk of markers and signs being messed with at these events. The Race Director warned of of this prior to the race and stressed the importance of carrying a turn by turn sheet with landmarks and mileage. It is very frustrating and potentially very dangerous, but it does happen.

Woah!

I guess I should check in more often!

Great job buddy! Although you didn't hit your original goal, you still had a great performance!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Very Cool Rick....Congrats and great job!

How were your feet in those shoes?

Any shoe damage to your feet?

Thanks Steve. My first set of shoes (NB MT1010 v2 - 48 miles) I ended up with small blisters on the outsides of my heels. Never have had blisters there before. They did not interfere with anything and did not bother me once I switched shoes. Next was Altra Lone Peaks (48-75 miles). No foot problems, but I started feeling strain on the anterior tibial tendon and I sprained my ankle at mile 70. Best decision of the day was putting on my light road shoes (Altra One v2) for the remainder of the race. I felt great to have less weight on my feet and they did better in the rock than the trail shoes. Overall no blisters on my soles, no bone stress, no black toenails. I give the years of barefoot running and keeping a few barefoot miles in my weekly running a lot of credit for the lack of problems. I have seen a lot of feet after Ultras and it ain't a pretty sight.

So in hindsight, I maybe could have got away with a lighter shoe instead of the Lone Peaks. I don't know, there are many what ifs after a big race. The end result would have be the same. I'm happy.

Reactions: DNEchris
Thanks Steve. My first set of shoes (NB MT1010 v2 - 48 miles) I ended up with small blisters on the outsides of my heels. Never have had blisters there before. They did not interfere with anything and did not bother me once I switched shoes. Next was Altra Lone Peaks (48-75 miles). No foot problems, but I started feeling strain on the anterior tibial tendon and I sprained my ankle at mile 70. Best decision of the day was putting on my light road shoes (Altra One v2) for the remainder of the race. I felt great to have less weight on my feet and they did better in the rock than the trail shoes. Overall no blisters on my soles, no bone stress, no black toenails. I give the years of barefoot running and keeping a few barefoot miles in my weekly running a lot of credit for the lack of problems. I have seen a lot of feet after Ultras and it ain't a pretty sight.

So in hindsight, I maybe could have got away with a lighter shoe instead of the Lone Peaks. I don't know, there are many what ifs after a big race. The end result would have be the same. I'm happy.

Very cool Rick.

We seem to go at about the same pace...if I can make the time limit qualifier, wanna have a go at the Angeles Crest 100?

Also, if you are going to keep wearing shoes, check out the Mizuno Evo Cursoris

really great toe box, and is a super cushy shoe while still being super light and flexible...they somehow managed to get as cushy as that new Hoka without all that stack height.

I love them for walking around...though I still prefer shoeless for covering distance.

bloody awesome such inspiration well done!!!

Reactions: rickwhitelaw