Chief Podiatrist Endorses Flip Flops!

Those look like decent flip-flops to me.

Dr. James Stoxen (the Barefoot Chiropractor) is against flip-flops.

Dr. Irene Davis (Harvard professor) is totally for them.

Perhaps, but it's a pop top free world now. So go forth unshod. If you want, I mean. I don't mean to tell you what to do.
Yeah, but what happened immediatly following that?
I'll bet the heel cut was made up though.
Maybe he started the whole fear of sharp objects thing himself...
Think about it, 1977, the disapearence of bare feet in public...
That's it, I'm skipping Comerica Park in July.

Perhaps, but it's a pop top free world now. So go forth unshod. If you want, I mean. I don't mean to tell you what to do.

Guess your right, I did survive the Detroit Marathon associated 5K barefoot after all.
Still, $180 for seats where you still can't see or hear?
But then again he is one of the few superstars performing barefoot these days.
I wonder if he addressed whether or not Landshark Lager would have any sharp edges on the caps?

Are we talking about the same things?

flipflops.jpg

Yeah I used to have some like those. They were pretty awful in the wet as my heel would always slip off to the side. Now I can't even seem to find those anymore, only stiff/supportive ones these days.

And those Reef ones above are just absolutely ridiculous/hideous.

Oh ya, and today I found out why my flip flops hurt my heels so bad. I decided to cannibalize them for the rubber soles so I can make some more huaraches and I found a hidden wedge near the heels. Now I understand why my heels hurt so bad after wearing these for any amount of time. Hopefully my wife doesn't get mad at me for destroying my only pair of flip flops, but I couldn't take it anymore. Hopefully I can figure out some sort of quick slip on method that doesn't need retying every other use.

For what it's worth, Bedrock sandals uses bike tire inner tube to tension a strap around the heel. Might be worth checking out their web site for ideas.
Oh ya, and today I found out why my flip flops hurt my heels so bad. I decided to cannibalize them for the rubber soles so I can make some more huaraches and I found a hidden wedge near the heels. Now I understand why my heels hurt so bad after wearing these for any amount of time. Hopefully my wife doesn't get mad at me for destroying my only pair of flip flops, but I couldn't take it anymore. Hopefully I can figure out some sort of quick slip on method that doesn't need retying every other use.

I'm actually making something similar to the Unshoe Pah Tempe, but with a slightly different strapping method. It's over the foot like the pah tempes but will have velcro securing it instead of buckles and slightly different anchor points.

Nick,

Last year I bought simple bamboo flip flops (for $9.99) at local Fred Meyer (see image).
They are offered as woman's flip flops so the largest size is 10. They have more colors so you are not stuck with something pinkish (I got green).
They are quite thin and flexible and I was very happy with them (until the day Mike told me flip flops are really bad for your feet and I threw them away and made myself huaraches but that's another story :))
bamboo flip flops.jpg

For everyones entertainment - some people just hate flip flops
http://www.ihateflipflops.com/)
"They are what's wrong with America" :D

That blog's last post was almost a year ago. Maybe he stopped hating them? :p

I kind of hate them, too. I'd much rather just go barefoot.

.......For walking on the beach sand that is....provided they are not flexible, have support, and ideally are made of leather.

Seriously! No bare feet on the beach sand or in the water any more. And this is'nt my wife's grandmother trying her best to micro-protect the kids, it's the president of the American Podiatric Medical Association!

Joseph Caporusso, DPM, president of the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) offers some advice:
At the beach
You may enjoy the sensation of sand between your toes, but avoid walking barefoot....
....Always wear sturdy flip-flops or sandals when walking in sand, to help prevent injury.

What an ass!!:)
Full story here:

http://www.lvrj.com/sponsored/tips-to-keep-feet-healthy-and-in-step-with-summer-fun.html?ref=965

just saw this now and this bit really ticked me off:

"
Not only does going barefoot expose your feet to the risk of sunburn, plantar warts, athlete's foot, ring worm and other infections, bare feet are at risk for cuts, puncture wounds and other injuries, too. Always wear sturdy flip-flops or sandals when walking in sand, to help prevent injury."

Two conditions that this bonehead should certainly know are not not caused by being barefoot. And the bogus "ring worm and other scary infections, whoooo!" scare tactic shouldn't go unquestioned, either! I know this is old news, but geesh. I hate this kind of unquestioned "expert" opinion in any form :p

Reactions: Robin and NickW
just saw this now and this bit really ticked me off:

"
Not only does going barefoot expose your feet to the risk of sunburn, plantar warts, athlete's foot, ring worm and other infections, bare feet are at risk for cuts, puncture wounds and other injuries, too. Always wear sturdy flip-flops or sandals when walking in sand, to help prevent injury."

Two conditions that this bonehead should certainly know are not not caused by being barefoot. And the bogus "ring worm and other scary infections, whoooo!" scare tactic shouldn't go unquestioned, either! I know this is old news, but geesh. I hate this kind of unquestioned "expert" opinion in any form :p
Yes...one can get hit by a car while crossing the street!:) ;)