Changes

ThomDavid2.png
Changes
By ThomDavid

Exactly a year ago, I began what I can only describe as a transformation, the form of which I could neither predict nor entirely control. I was approaching my 55th birthday, and although I have been running on and off since my early 20s, hadn't done so with any regularity since a hamstring injury sidelined me 10 years ago. Over the course of that decade, I gained a lot of weight, began to feel physically and mentally depressed, and worse, was facing a future that was certain to include either heart disease, diabetes, both, or worse. I have a family history of all these things, on both sides. And my father died of heart disease...at 55. Nothing like a cold slap in the face as I approached that birthday.

Not to bore you all with the details, but I made a resolution to myself, on September 30, 2011, that I would make changes in my life to turn this trend in the opposite direction. One year later, I've gone from 207 to 155 lbs, adopted a plant-based diet, begun practicing yoga and meditation, joined a gym and actually go there regularly, and, my latest blessing, taken up barefoot running. This latest has been like a re-birth for me. I have never enjoyed running so much, despite the fact that I am essentially starting over again. Yesterday morning I was able to cover about three miles comfortably, at a slow, relaxed pace, and felt great before, during, and most importantly, afterward. A month ago I ran a half-marathon (shod), yet today, a three-mile barefoot run gave me a far greater sense of accomplishment, satisfaction, and joy. Yes, joy. It stayed with me all day, and it remains this morning.

So, I just wanted to share this with you all, and again wanted to say "thanks" to those of you who have shared your experience, insight, and encouragement as I learn this new skill. You can never know how much this means to me, but I hope you will accept my sincere gratitude. May we all continue to run (and live) with joy, purpose, and clear intentions. You have been a blessing to me, and I hope to return the favor.

ThomDavid1a.png

Awesome!! Great job!

Great success story!
In the bike forums they have a 50 and over section.
As we continue grow as a group we may need one soon!

Sorry about that "before" picture...not a pretty sight. Not that the after picture is all that much better (forgive the Brooks Adrenaline on my feet), but at least there's no enormous gut staring you in the face. :)

That photo is from the AFC Half-Marathon in August. My hope is that it's the last race I ever run with shoes. When I ran that race, I was less than a third of the way through "Born to Run," so the bomb hadn't yet dropped. Within a week, I would be questioning everything about my running. Well, many of you know what happens next.

I celebrated my "re-birthday" with a terrific BF run. Took it slow and easy and thoroughly enjoyed the sensations in my soles, the developing strength in my feet and arches, and the cool soapy foot bath afterwards. It's hard to believe how much different (and more enjoyable) barefoot running is from shod running. How do you resist not stopping every shod runner you see and telling them to take their freakin' shoes off?

Wow amazing! I lost 25 lbs in about 8 months (January to August this year, from 215 to 190) but have sort of plateaued. My diet probably still isn't the greatest. I could only dream of getting to 155. I think my overall long-term goal for me is about 170.

Reactions: ThomDavid
Gratz on your transformation. I have talked about what running has done for me on this board many times, I don't think I have ever shown the pics, so here ya go.

Me and my son at the Zombie run which I did BF. Running ended my diabetes and improved my health. BF has made it fun.

AWESOME! First of all, glad to be not the only big-gut "before" photo on this thread...

Mostly, though, it is great to see the transformation, and to hear how you reversed your diabetes. When I tell folks that that's possible, they usually look at me with a skeptical or dumbfounded look. You're living proof, T Mo. Good on you for taking control of your health. You are an inspiration!

Holy crap Thom and TMo! You all are my inspiration! I may have been minimalist/barefoot for a year and a half now but that weight transformation is where I hope to get eventually. It's been a very slow road for me losing weight although I think I am definitely on the right path. Congrats to both of you!

Holy crap Thom and TMo! You all are my inspiration! I may have been minimalist/barefoot for a year and a half now but that weight transformation is where I hope to get eventually. It's been a very slow road for me losing weight although I think I am definitely on the right path. Congrats to both of you!

Hey NickW: You know how all you guys counsel us BF newbies to have patience - patience - patience? Well, right back at ya as far as dropping the weight. Good diet and exercise are two of the three necessary components...the other is TIME. As with barefoot running, the body has to adapt to the new dietary information that you are feeding it. I'm convinced that a lot of what we carry around with us is chronic inflammation, as the body is almost always under some sort of healing stress (which manifests as inflammation). It really helped me to think about what I was doing not as losing weight, but rather, re-claiming health, with weight loss really as a mere side effect. I just decided that I'd get out of the way of my body's natural healing process and feed it what it needed to do the best job possible. It's an on-going process, but hang with it because it will happen on its own schedule. I can't rush my BF running learning curve...same thing.

It is tough to transform eating habits, but by changing to raw veggies, clean protein, water and fiber, add to that an hour of exercise a day and you will see success. Measure you arms and waist too so you can see changes even when the weight plateaus. You really have to get your perspective on food fixed. That was the big problem for me. After that the exercise drove me. I loved it for the first time in my life.

Awesome fellas! I'm working on it too. I call it the lose 50 at 50 program. Got another 15-20 to go (I'm not sure if I started out at 240 or 245), which should be gone by this coming spring. It's great feeling lighter and more agile again. Giving priority to getting in an hour of exercise each day has been the key for me.

Wow. I'm on the same road, and the pictures and stories are really inspiring. Thanks!

It's a sometimes hard and discouraging road, but stay on it. You'll find that it's only pebbles pricking your feet, not an insurmountable peak. Even if you veer from that road from time to time, it isn't fatal. Get right back on it and keep moving. The rewards are worth it. Lots of support for you here.

Reactions: Bare Lee
OK, I'm calling Shenanigans: There's no way the guy in the after pic is the same as the guy in the before pics! :D

Well done, Thom. I've battled with weight my entire life and, indeed, patience is a must - however, it took me a few decades to figure that one out. Like most folks, I wanted to lose 20 lbs by next weekend (I mean - I still do, but I realistically know that it will take closer to 3 mos or so, if I'm good). If I tripped up on my diet, my thought was "Well, screw it - might as well enjoy myself, now" and gorge out (I'm a very all or nothing guy). Now, I try (operative word, here) to take a more philosophical approach: Don't compound one slip up with several more slip ups. This, mind you, is a lot harder than it seems. Also, a lot of folks don't understand that this is not just about hunger. I know that if I am actually hungry, an apple or carrot sticks will work. However, if I'm really hungry, I don't want apples or carrots; I want chocolate chip cookies. This same response is also triggered by stress or fatigue (some of the worst eating decisions I've made was when I was tired).

Anyway - again, outstanding job, man. You are an inspiration...

Also, a lot of folks don't understand that this is not just about hunger. I know that if I am actually hungry, an apple or carrot sticks will work. However, if I'm really hungry, I don't want apples or carrots; I want chocolate chip cookies. This same response is also triggered by stress or fatigue (some of the worst eating decisions I've made was when I was tired).

The biggest challenge is learning the difference between true hunger and mere appetite. These are easy to confuse and hard to differentiate. There's one sure-fire way to learn the difference: fasting.

On October 1, 2011, I began what ultimately became a 23 day fast, to re-set my system and put it on the road to healing. I can tell you with absolute certainty, that sort of experience teaches you the very clear and distinct difference between hunger and appetite, and it's a lesson that, once learned, is never forgotten. They are two very distinct sensations, and if you can learn to identify the difference, the rest is like a barefoot run in the park.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11