Cap City 1/2 & IBRD this weekend

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Tristan, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Curious if anyone here on BRS is running in the Capital City Half Marathon this weekend? Yvonne and I will be running. If anyone else is running and wants to meet up after then let me know.

Also IBRD is Sunday... so officially the Cap City won't count. I'd love to host a big get together but I wasn't sure if I was even going to have the day off until now, so this is late notice. I'm also busy in the afternoon with my son. So tentatively I plan on going to the Indianfield Bluffs Park that's just east of Mt Vernon along the Kokosing River around 9-10am. This is a natural trail including cut grass, dirt, rocks, roots, small stream crossing, and most likely mud this time of year (I'd bring a damp towel or wet wipes to clean off with after). Parking is limited so if anyone else is interested let me know here or via private message. The park is very hilly and would be great for hill training on natural trail. There are flat stretches too more suitable for running. I'm not sure what kind of shape I'll be in after the race so I can't guarantee I'll be doing much more than walk/hike myself. There is also the nearby Kokosing Gap Trail (paved bike path) nearby that is 13+ miles long if anyone wants to run further on an easy surface. So far just myself and Yvonne (maybe) will be going.

Yvonne, Mark and paulbeales like this.
  2. barefootmatt

barefootmatt Barefooters
    1. Ohio

I'll be volunteering at Cap City: passing out water and Gatorade at mile 6. I'll keep my eyes out for you, Tristan!

Yvonne and Tristan-OH like this.
  3. boonepharm

boonepharm Barefooters
    1. Ohio

I'll be at the Flying Pig this weekend. Have fun in Columbus!

4. Mark

Mark Barefooters
    1. Ohio
    2. Germany &...

Thanks for organizing this, Tristan. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it on Sunday :(

Also, for anyone who may be close enough and has an interest, I want to mention an upcoming race on May 16 near Dayton <http://5kformsa.itsyourrace.com/Event.aspx?id=4972>. They have award categories for both barefoot and shod runners. In past years this has been a 5 mile race but it looks like this year is a 5k. I will be there!

5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Tristan, if you will be hosting an event, please register your details so we can help you publicize it: http://thebarefootrunners.org/forms/ibrd-event-registration.3/respond

Tristan-OH likes this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Thanks TJ, but this is kind of last minute and impromptu... no time to get shirts, advertise, and all that. Nothing official, and if no one else responds I may not even go depending on another thing I have going on Sunday. But I do plan on it so thought I'd extend an offer. Maybe next time I'll be able to organize something a little better but this will always be a bad weekend with Capital City half Saturday morning and then my sons cub scouts always has their camp out Saturday/Sunday, and this year he has a double header football game Sunday afternoon. Wish there was more time in the day that's for sure!!!

Rats, there is a race up here on the 16th I was planning on going to up in Amish country actually (Millersburg). I'll try to remember for next year.

Yvonne and Barefoot TJ like this.
  7. Mark

Mark Barefooters
    1. Ohio
    2. Germany &...

I'm sorry I didn't mention it sooner. Will try to remember to do that next year.

This is actually the first year the race is in May. The last three years it was in March. I think it may depend on turnout if it stays in mid-May next year or they try another weekend. I am looking forward to it since there generally aren't very many participants who run it barefoot and the only medals I have ever won for placing have been from this race :)

8. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Cap city went great, had a blast! Missed my PR by only about a minute plus fastest cap city time for me. Yvonne did well also, just 2 minutes or so behind her PR I think. Now we're still debating if we are going to meetup for IBRD. I race report will probably be forthcoming in the next couple days maybe.
    I was looking Matt, but didn't see you. There seem to be 2 separate stations there at 6. But it was pretty crowded.
    March... Oh I remember this being mentioned in the past... yeah it was in March just at a time when I wasn't up to barefoot running! I remember dismissing it since in past winters I just couldn't do barefoot in the cold and even if it was starting to warm up I hadn't toughened up enough to be racing barefoot. But in May might be possible in the future.

9. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Did you run Cap barefoot?

10. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Of course ;) (both of us). My 5th half in all, and they all have been barefoot (longest shod run I ever did was one 10k race).

Got a good recovery run in on IBRD. No one met up, but still got some barefoot miles in. Was a great weekend!

11. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

I didn't get to meetup with anyone for this years IBRD but still had a great day and plenty of running and walking barefoot for IBRD! I went with Pepper, my little dachshund mix rescued doggie, to a nearby park for a nice outing in nature. We were both barefoot of course, though I had some backup huaraches since my feet were rather sensitive after the Capital City Half Marathon the day before, and there were some spots in this park that were filled with gravel. Ended up not needing them. Not very far but did get close to two miles in, mostly walking but did run for a bit.

IMG_4874-800.JPG

IMG_4875-800.JPG

Things are starting to really green up around here. And the weather was great.

IMG_4880-800.JPG

IMG_4881-800.JPG

IMG_4873-800.JPG
    A tired doggie! She loves the park and the outdoors but can't run too far.

My son had a double header football game later in the afternoon, and between games I spent about an hour jogging around the grass fields at the school. Added a bit over 5 miles running to my IBRD mileage. Made for a nice recovery run after the half the previous day, but I may have done just a little too much. After sitting in a restaurant later, and the car ride home, my legs were noticeably more sore! Luckily they are getting better today.

Yvonne likes this.
  12. Yvonne

Yvonne Barefooters
    1. Ohio

This would be awesome! Too bad it's such a long drive for me, especially for just a 5k. And means an early rise to get there in time :eek:. If Tristan decides to enter next year and I can bum a ride from him, then maybe...if my schedule permits and I can get hubby or son to care for the animals for the day....

13. Yvonne

Yvonne Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Close, Tristan - I was about 3 minutes slower than my PR. Despite not having run my best for a good month or more prior (due to a cold and recovery from it), I would have beaten my PR, possibly smashed it, if I hadn't gotten that excruciating side stitch(?) :inpain::sour::arghh:

I didn't see you either, Matt....

Tristan-OH likes this.