Can managing a broken metatarsal barefoot optimize healing and recovery? Also, an adaptive fracture

SI barefoot

Barefooters
Jul 15, 2014
Carbondale, Il
I fractured (hairline) my 2nd metatarsal just distal to the proximal head of the second mettie in my left foot this last Sept 26th. 95% of my recovery I stayed barefoot or wore minimalist shoes. I worked hard to keep the rest of my foot strong and limber and bore weight as much as I could safely tolerate. 4 weeks and 6 days post fracture I had a F/U w/ an x-ray w/ the ortho doc. He showed me the x-ray and it had a nice callus and only some small cracks in the original fracture site. He said activity could be as tolerated, even heavy load bearing. I ran 0.5 miles the next morning (5 weeks for the injury date) and have been able to quickly increase my distance to over 4 miles, which I did yesterday (6 weeks and 4 days post injury). Most of the short-lived aches and pains seem to be from tight tendons and trace swelling that goes away within a few hours post run. I haven't run barefoot yet, mostly in 5 fingers and Altras. I also worked this past Sat, Sun, Mon 12 hours shifts on concrete floors with little problems. Does this seem like a fast recovery? If so, could most of it be from the way I recovered? I wasn't expecting to be able to resume running for a minimum of 8 weeks and maybe up to 12. Which is the norm?

Also, during my first visit with the ortho doc he suggest the fracture could have been adaptive. My foot was still very swollen then and, while I liked the idea of an adaptive fracture, I figured that wasn't the case for me. Now I'm not so sure. All of the swelling and tightness is gone and I've noticed that when I spread my toes the space between my second and third toe is much greater. The space used to look more like how my right foot looks now, very little splay between those toes. I can feel a difference inside of my left foot, too. There isn't as much of a tugging sensation in the soft tissue between my first and second metatarsal when I spread my toes as compared to the right foot. Does this sound like an adaptation? If so, I assume it is a positive adaptation and not a neutral one. I hope eventually my right foot catches up. From what I understand Correct Toes are supposed to cause this type of structural change, just much much more slowly and with much less pain, lol.Untitled.jpg

Sorry for the big delay in getting a response, SI. I wrote to one of the docs. You should be getting a response soon, but it is Thanksgiving week here, so you may have to wait a little longer.

Hello SI Barefooter!

To answer your question as far as rate at which people heal from stress fractures - it really can vary!

Depending on when you catch the stress fracture they can heal as quickly as 2 weeks - or be as along as 8 weeks +

Sounds like you eliminated the stress fairly quickly and were in a roughly 5 week recovery process. Your return to your current activity level sounds normal.

As far as the toe spread on your right foot I wouldn't worry as much about that. Keep doing the exercises and doing the toe sox or yoga toes to encourage the proper toe spread. If you do not have pain in the right foot, I would continue as is.

Good luck!

I'm no expert, but an "adaptive fracture" sounds like a curious concept. It is my understanding that sometimes a surgeon will perform an osteotomy for various reasons.

Otherwise, a fracture would seem to be pathological. My understanding is, if anatomical structures need to be remodeled, this should happen over time with bone and soft tissue. One cannot necessarily rely on a fracture to occur in the right position for optimal recovery and healing. Just my own musings.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!