Can bath salts carrode your pads?

Barefoot Mary

Barefooters
Jul 27, 2010
Denver, CO
Hey all! I was just wondering if anyone's had any experience with bath salts. I took a foot bath the other day (to give my hardworking feet a little pampering) and today my feet felt SUPER-tender on my run. No blisters, just feeling soft.

I was wondering if anyone else has any similar experiences with bath salts/products? I've been building my skin strength for a year and usually go for a 6-miler without a care, but today was just...every surface seemed extra rough and abrasive, like my feet were baby-soft again. I toiled through to finish my 8.5 miler, but my feet don't like me all that much. OH, also it's not heat related, because when I went out it was 65 degrees F.

Thanks for your input! Cheers!

I would think that salt baths

I would think that salt baths would soften the skin. I remember when I was growing up, my dad had a salt water tank for our home; he couldn't stand the hard water. My skin always felt so soft. I hated it though because it seemed like I could never rinse all the greasy-feeling (for lack of a better word) away. I looked forward to the times when we would run out of salt for the salt tank.

I searched the purpose of

I searched the purpose of bath salts on google and, as always, wikipedia had the answer: "Some bath salts such as phosphates have a detergent action which softens calloused skin and aids in exfoliation". Therefore it would seem that the bath salt did indeed soften the bottom of your feet. Also, salt turns the water more basic, so that affect would also make your feet softer, kinda like the same effect as fabric softener, it works by stripping fabric off of your clothing which leads to a softer after-product. also, sorry about the massive run-on sentence.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts