Camp Pendleton Marathon

ajb422

Barefooters
Sep 28, 2010
http://www.camppendletonraces.com/marathon/course.htm

Has anyone ever tried doing this barefoot? I'm thinking this could be a fun goal to work towards and its far enough off I have plenty of time to get there. 6.5 months away and all on pavement seems like it would be totally doable. However, with it being a on a marine base, I do worry about getting in trouble 0:), or the more likely possibility of getting my husband chewed out. Everything I do on base is his fault. Nowhere does it say shoes are required and I don't plan on asking for permission. But if someone has tried it successfully it would make me feel better about thinking of planning for it (as you can tell I'm being quite decisive about this ;-)).

Never ran it but it is on the

Never ran it but it is on the list. Not sure I can get to it next year though but would love to hear your take on it if you do run it.

i am planning on running it,

i am planning on running it, hopefully barefoot but i'll pry bring my VFF's just in case. im headed back to Pendleton in january so i'll try to check out parts of the course when/if i can and see what its like.

I live just north of there

I live just north of there (my husband is stationed on Pendleton) so I need to go look at the course at some point. I know the general area though and it would be a pretty run, which is one of the main reasons I thought this would be a good first marathon. My husband tried to dissuade me by telling me about the huge hill that's involved. You can tell he's never run barefoot before. I love hills with no shoes on :). My only real concern is whether they will yell at me for being barefoot. The marines are weird about random things sometimes. I figure I'll wear my zems or whatever minimalist shoe I have then until the last minute and take them off and hope no one who matters notices.

i dont think there would be

i dont think there would be an issue with you running it barefoot. i'm a Marine, and i run barefoot on base all the time (i'm in Okinawa right not though, not Pendleton). there are no orders saying that you cant run barefoot unless you are in military pt gear. i'm going to show up barefoot but i'll pry bring either my huaraches or VFF's for any rough areas. have you by chance heard what day they are doing it this year? they havent updated the dates on their website.

Good to know that you've at

Good to know that you've at least run barefoot on a base without getting hassled. That does make me feel better. I'll certainly have zems or something with me anyway just in case I need them.

I haven't heard when the date is. Everything still has the old dates. I don't live on base (or all that close to it) and my husband is deployed so there's probably no chance of me hearing anything until they actually post the dates but if I do I'll let you know.

AJB, thank you to you and

AJB, thank you to you and your hubby for your sacrifices.

sounds good.  my wife and i

sounds good. my wife and i will be moving to Pendleton in late January so if i hear anything first i'll be sure to post it here. wish the best for you and your husband, catch ya again soon.