Calloused Feet are not good.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
There seems to be some confusion with people when it comes to calloused feet. Bottom line if you have calloused feet you shouldn't be happy, you are doing something wrong. (At least that is my assumption) In other forums i browse I see posts with people saying how great progress they are making because they are building up callouses. To me callouses mean something is very wrong, either with form, to much pushing off, foot placement, or something.

If you look at Ken Bob's feet, or anyone that has been running barefoot for a super long time, they have no callouses. To the eye the sole's look super smooth. I have only been running barefoot a year and some change, been running strictly barefoot for the last six months, and never had a callouse.

What do you all think?

Amen!!

Amen!!

Hear Hear!My husband has

Hear Hear!

My husband has been seeing his (shoe-caused, disgusting, yellow, itchy, tough) callauses dissapearing as he does more barefoot running! Which is exciting!

The more he runs barefoot the smoother his feet get!

Thats more or less what I was

Thats more or less what I was trying to say on the other thread with regards to gravel bucket marching. I wouldn't say it would in and of itself cause callusing, but it probably could if that was your intention.

Now where did those callous

Now where did those callous pictures go I shared here awhile ago? Anyone want to dig them up and share? Well worth the look, groddie and all.

I get alot of questions from

I get alot of questions from shod runners about that too. When I show them my feet. They are amazed at how good they look. All the toenails intact, no blisters or callouses, and the bottoms are soft and smooth like oiled leather. I hope I'm not sounded foot fetishy but they're really quite nice. Callouses = bad, smooth soles = good

ewheeldrive wrote:I get alot

ewheeldrive said:
I get alot of questions from shod runners about that too. When I show them my feet. They are amazed at how good they look. All the toenails intact, no blisters or callouses, and the bottoms are soft and smooth like oiled leather. I hope I'm not sounded foot fetishy but they're really quite nice. Callouses = bad, smooth soles = good

+1

And TJ, not sure I want to see...you come up with some pretty nast-ay stuff :puke:

Mostly the skin on my feet

Mostly the skin on my feet has thickened in the areas that come in contact with the ground. The skin in my arches is still seemingly thin and soft. I would say that I have three callouses on each foot that are a result of my BFR. The area under my second metatarsal head, the area under my fifth metatarsal head, and on the edge of my big toe.

I haven't had any problems with them yet. They have thinned over the past two months though... so maybe they will slowly diminish as my form improves (which I think is an ongoing process that is somewhat unconscious).

I don't have a point... just thinking. :D

Steve

haha, thinking out loud? I've

haha, thinking out loud? I've got the same tough spots minus the 2nd metatarsal (though have had them for as long as I can remember...even pre-barefoot) My pinkie also curves in a bit so I've got a ridge of callous on the bottom there from being squashed over the years

You know, Zum (and stomper),

You know, Zum (and stomper), adding those groddie pictures to the Library would be cool. Might scare some people away though. Hmmmm. What to do? What to do? Hmmmm.

Maybe we should have a

Maybe we should have a secret, behind the curtain section in the library for goremongers, and you can happily post your hearts content with your groddie pix TJ :p

Have to offer a caveat. Some

Have to offer a caveat. Some of us have no choice in getting callouses. Some of us have Morton's Toe and there is nothing you can do with form or blah blah to avoid SOME callousing under the 2nd metty.

Callouse snob!

Ha, oh so funny!  Nyal, I

Ha, oh so funny! Nyal, I thought you were going to start a Morton's Toe Club here. What happened to that? I already nominated you the prez. Didn't Beth second that?

Hi.  I'm new to this board. 

Hi. I'm new to this board. I had a question regarding skin on bottom of feet for BFR.

I have begun running on harder surfaces. Right now I'm alternating between a University track which is softer, and asphalt flat paths which is of course a harder surface. My skin feels a bit raw after the runs, but that rawness feeling passes pretty quickly. I'm in the early stages of running on these type of surfaces. I'm up to only two mile runs, but each run gets longer.

In regards to skin on bottom of feet. I'm running mostly in rain this time of year with wet surfaces. Will all this moisture effect my skin getting toughened up ? I actually though I wanted to build callouse, but now I'm reading that is not the case. Currently my skin seems much tougher on forefoot, and heel area. I'm just not sure how all this moisture is effecting the skins progression to toughen. I'm trying to prepare for a local fun run at the end of January doing it Barefoot stlye.

As long as I have proper form. Will the skin just take care of itself even in the wet running conditions ? Or is the winter rains going to slow the skins ability to toughen properly ?

Thanks for any thoughts......

While I don't have alot of

While I don't have alot of experience running in rain I think you should be ok so long as you aren't getting blisters from it. My first rain run was sort of miserable even though I love rain. I was really new at it and it made me super tender. After that though if I have to run in the rain I'd rather do it barefoot. No shoes to suck up water. My feet are waterproof my shoes most certainly weren't. I remember awhile back there were some threads on running in the rain and the consensus seemed to be after awhile when the sensitivity goes away you are set. So if you already are running in it and it isn't bothering you I don't think there should be any issues.

As long as I have proper

As long as I have proper form. Will the skin just take care of itself even in the wet running conditions ? Or is the winter rains going to slow the skins ability to toughen properly ?

Welcome, Hum! I would say it's both of those things. It will happen, but it may take longer. As long as you are doing well, just keep doing what you are doing.

Hum, I think, much like being

Hum, I think, much like being in a pool, the longer your feet are wet, the softer the skin becomes. I think this will make your feet more sensitive to the ground, but if you are using the proper form and you have already conditioned your soles well, I don't think it will cause you much, if any, problem. Just my $.02

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts