Caballo Blanco died from Heart Disease

I know I missed the first postings when this happened (I wasnt on the new forum yet). I had actually just finished reading born to run recently. When I first heard of his passing I must admit to tearing up a little. Rest in peace, Caballo Blanco.

Now that looks like a bump to the home page. Thanks, Lee!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Hhhhmm.....not sure what a natural cause of death would be then?
Just because someone pushed their body and an organ failed before reaching the national estimated life expectancy does not make it unnatural. Ironically it seems that we have constructed this idea of what is natural and at what age it is "natural" to die. The article was interesting, but I'm not sure how unnatural this incident really was...

Too young to die. That is unnatural.

Too young to die. That is unnatural.
With complete respect to both you TJ and Caballo Blanco, I'm not sure I agree. It is a tragedy that someone dies at that age....but it seems to be a response of an organ to over stressing that organ. Sounds like a natural reaction. What may not have been "natural" is the over training. Push too hard and consequences will follow...just kind of sounds like a law of nature to me

No problem. I agree that overworking something and having it fail is understandable. We are only human after all, and can only be expected to be able to do so much.

Living to 80 or more isn't natural? There have been a lot of people who have lived much longer and have had a decent quality of life, without the addition of medicine or technology. You would have to weigh the quality of the individual's life.

You would have to weigh the quality of the individual's life.

Yep....I have a family member for example who is fine with his body falling apart as he claims he has used it to its fullest....all a matter of perspective I guess

Reactions: NickW
If we could live totaly naturally as far as diet, medicines, and activity, we'd all end up dead pretty young of either infection (bacterial, fungal, or viral) or cancer (possibly melanoma).
We live a less natural life than ever in the 21'st century civilised world, but as a group we live far longer than any culture in the history of the planet.

It really comes down to semantics....what are we considering natural???
In any case....I hope this story brings more awareness to healthy and safe training habits

With complete respect to both you TJ and Caballo Blanco, I'm not sure I agree. It is a tragedy that someone dies at that age....but it seems to be a response of an organ to over stressing that organ. Sounds like a natural reaction. What may not have been "natural" is the over training. Push too hard and consequences will follow...just kind of sounds like a law of nature to me

Very interesting topic, running feels so good, runner just don’t know what’s overstressing. The runner just wants to be in that constant state of bliss. So he does what he naturally likes day in and day out and its better to crossover while doing what we are all naturally born with.
Runner or not runner lots of variables that may cause our heart to fail, food and drinks, stress, what we do when not running, our parents, etc.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test