Buying Race Pictures

C-Dog

Barefooters
Jun 22, 2010
What do you all think is a reasonable price for a High Quality Digital Image of you from a Race's photographers? I have done 2 races now (sample size bias obv.), and the first race the digital hq copy of the picture was 10 dollars, but they gave you a 50% coupon in the swag bag, so I only paid 5 (which was worth it). In my 2nd race, they want 50 dollars for the HQ digital image, and there was no coupons of anything included.

Is it just me or is 50 bucks for a digital copy of a photo of you insane? It's not like the work isn't already done, all the photographer has to do is attach the file to an email and press send now. What would you all be willing to pay?

I might pay a buck or two at

I might pay a buck or two at most, but probably not even that. I'm cheap and don't care too much about photos of myself. $50 WTF?

I don't pay anything.  With

I don't pay anything. With sites like MarathonFoto, you can view and save a thumbnail of your picture without the word "Proof" on it for free. It's just really small. But you can enlarge that thumbnail without losing much quality on a photo editing program. Then print it at Walmart or a photo printer for free.

I've never paid for race photos, and I never will.

$50 is insane money.  I would

$50 is insane money. I would maybe pay $10 if it was a good one.

I've only been in one race

I've only been in one race where the price for pictures was reasonable, it was like 3 or 4 dollars for a small digital picture. All other races have been way way too high priced...so I think it is rare for the lower price option. I've heard of people haggling with the photo people and getting them to lower the price. You could try that if the picture is really good.

Also, if you wait long

Also, if you wait long enough, they will reduce the price without your having to ask them to. I keep getting email for ING pictures from back in March and for the longest time the Peachtree Road Race a year ago, saying "We've reduced the price...your last chance to buy," then another month later, "It's our lowest price ever...your last chance to buy."

I'm always shocked at the

I'm always shocked at the price of running pictures. It's not like they are all that complicated to take. Race photos cost more than photos from horse shows and those photos take a lot more skill to get the picture at the right moment, especially jumping photos. I've bought tons of horse show photos over the years but can't bring myself to buy a picture of me just running. At least in the horse show photos I can show what a bad ass I am by jumping over huge solid obsticles on an animal with a will of it's own.

Now, if it's a picture of me breaking the ribbon at the end because I won I'd buy it no questions! I think it will be a while, if ever, before I get the glory of buying a winning photo.